What is the Designers Accord?

Hi iab,

Responses inline:

If I may make a suggestion, I would post your progress reports and the links within in a more prominent position on your website so you don’t have knuckleheads like me sounding off.

We’re redesigning at the moment and the UX will be much better.

\

I understand it is still early, but are you planning to include more definition as you gain more knowledge?

I want to reiterate that I am not a sustainability expert, but I have the privilege of being a part of the lots of conversations. We set up the wiki so that we could managing the vocabulary, and the hope is that would eventually become a resource.

\

I still want evidence-based outcomes. I want proof that my actions will have a positive impact. I am also going to need to be able to quantify that impact.

We all do, but there is not a simple answer. If there was we’d all be doing it already. In terms of “impact”, we don’t even have a good definition of what this could mean. This is a journey and I strongly encourage you to create and contribute on the wiki.

\

If I become carbon-neutral and in doing so I have priced myself out of business, my actions have done more harm than good.

Carbon footprint measurement is most useful at this stage in looking inward, and really gaining a clear picture of your activities.

\

Will you be developing guidelines in some form? I certainly can contribute to a process like that but it is too large for one person/department. That is where a collaboration like your group would be invaluable.

Agreed, this is our aim.

\

Will tackling trade-offs like that and other types of trade-offs be addressed in the future?

This questions will be addressed in the future if you (we) do it.

\

Finally, I noticed the goal of having zero carbon footprint.

There is no goal stated by the Designers Accord to have a zero carbon footprint. All of the conversation on this particular guideline has been about relative, not absolute, measurement.

\

And on a side note, I tried visiting the Natural Logic website but as of 4:45pm CDST, it was hacked.

The site is up: http://www.natlogic.com/