What is the Designers Accord?

Hello Valerie,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am especially appreciative of the link to the progress report link you posted. I am interested in that type of specific information, a general overview does not provide much direction. If I may make a suggestion, I would post your progress reports and the links within in a more prominent position on your website so you don’t have knuckleheads like me sounding off. I realize now they are on your history page but with my browser the links look the same as the regular test. I had no idea there was more information to be had.

If you don’t mind, I have a few more questions.

I understand it is still early, but are you planning to include more definition as you gain more knowledge? I am probably a bit tainted because of my field, but I still want evidence-based outcomes. I want proof that my actions will have a positive impact. I am also going to need to be able to quantify that impact. If I become carbon-neutral and in doing so I have priced myself out of business, my actions have done more harm than good.

Will you be developing guidelines in some form? I certainly can contribute to a process like that but it is too large for one person/department. That is where a collaboration like your group would be invaluable.

Then there are more mundane questions I have that may be premature. Obviously I can reduce footprint by upgrading to more energy efficient products. But should that doesn’t take into consideration of the life-cycle of my current product. Will tackling trade-offs like that and other types of trade-offs be addressed in the future?

Finally, I noticed the goal of having zero carbon footprint. Is that realistic or even necessary? I see sustainability as a balance, neither one extreme nor another. I need the evidence or you run the danger of being too divisive.

And on a side note, I tried visiting the Natural Logic website but as of 4:45pm CDST, it was hacked.