What is the Designers Accord?

Hi iab,

Thanks for your post. Attempting some answers in line…

> What I want is a quantifiable, evidence-based definition. Otherwise all you will have is a feel-good exercise that will lose interest in a few months.

The Designers Accord is 21 months old. It continues to gain momentum because it isn’t just a feel-good exercise. We are real designers trying to answer real challenges.

I think you might be missing the core of this though – this movement was created because we don’t have the answers yet. We are trying to figure them out together in a new model (our old model clearly hasn’t worked – we’ve “innovated” our way into a social and environmental disaster).

> Your website indicates a need to lower your carbon footprint. Is there a standard to measure an existing footprint? How much reduction is needed? Is the carbon footprint the only environmental impact to consider? What is acceptable reduction of other pollutants? What trade-offs can be done?

Check out this article we sent to the DA community:
http://www.designersaccord.org/progress_report/0208/index.html

“Measuring Your Footprint: A Guideline” at the bottom of the page.

> Is environmental impact the only consideration or should social and economic impact be a part of the equation? How do I factor in social and economic impact? How do the three offset each other?

The guidelines list environmental impact AND social impact. And yes, we advocate thinking about the triple bottom line.

Check out:
http://www.designersaccord.org/da_guidelines.html

> These are only a few questions I have but please don’t take them as a way of quashing the concept. I think these issues are some of the most important facing us today. I also think designers are perfectly positioned to have a central role in determining not only the solutions, but in defining the problem. Without the proper definitions, you will create a subjective pissing match without any credibility and void of any mainstream support. Our role should be to clarify, not to muddy the waters.

I appreciate the dialogue!

I do think you should do a little more research before you post though… If you want ready made solutions and definitions, the Designers Accord isn’t for you. Most designers want to come to this challenge together. That’s evidenced by the thousands of people involved in this coalition globally. If you’re worried about credibility, see who is part of the Designers Accord. You could read the press too, it might help you understand a bit better.