What is the Designers Accord?

What I want is a quantifiable, evidence-based definition. Otherwise all you will have is a feel-good exercise that will lose interest in a few months.

Your website indicates a need to lower your carbon footprint. Is there a standard to measure an existing footprint? How much reduction is needed? Is the carbon footprint the only environmental impact to consider? What is acceptable reduction of other pollutants? What trade-offs can be done?

Is environmental impact the only consideration or should social and economic impact be a part of the equation? How do I factor in social and economic impact? How do the three offset each other?

These are only a few questions I have but please don’t take them as a way of quashing the concept. I think these issues are some of the most important facing us today. I also think designers are perfectly positioned to have a central role in determining not only the solutions, but in defining the problem. Without the proper definitions, you will create a subjective pissing match without any credibility and void of any mainstream support. Our role should be to clarify, not to muddy the waters.