1HDC - Topic Suggestions

many ways but mostly down hill

I am not typically into this topic, but I figured I would throw it down…
I always think the microwave is a significant challenge. :bulb:

It’s probably the most common every day devices that we take for granted.
The components are relativeley simple - A Magnatron, a turntable, and interface, a door, a vent.
With great ideas come great improvements…

Cost targets for low to high, recyclable to green. Take your pick.

Dan[/code]

My favourite class during Uni was concept design, in which we had to “design” (to concept stage) and comunicate the idea with an A3 board. Could this be a basis for the competition?

The next challenge should take-up redesigning this Discussion Board…I think we can all agree its a bit graphically challenged for a design site. :slight_smile:

:open_mouth: Lets take a shot at designing relaxation footwear i.e. flip flops, sandles, crocks, loafers we can get crazy with this

Chew on it, let me know what you think

\

Two ideas inspired from the Core Blog:

Take a buzzword table like this and design the product that matches what you select. Like a rubberized 12-ply bamboo milk frother.

1. I like the Nokia headphones inspired from songs. Maybe we could do chairs based on the movie character that would use them or something?

Now that sounds like a killer contest, do it!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned or done, I haven’t read through the whole thread. I liked the idea of being able to reuse something like the business cards. I’ve seen a lot of ideas of what to do with toilet/paper towel tubes after the paper is spent, but I think we could come up with some better designs.

How about a new GM logo? :wink:

How about a new GM logo? > :wink:
AM.jpg

lmo: great minds think alike.

we always do something manly… how about something for all the beautiful ladies of the world?

+1, let’s that this!

Or do the new GM line. Retro is chic so how about we revisit the Matador, Javelin, Gremlin, Eagle, and Pacer. (AMC cars…)

I’d like to see all the car fanatics here design a cool Yugo! We always complain about why they always make cheaper cars and hybrids so ugly.

Watching “Who Killed the Electric Car” the other day made me think about something. Maybe they do it on purpose because they don’t really want you to buy them. I think it’s a little obvious with the cheaper cars, companies always want to lead you to their more expensive products but with the “revolutionary” all electric cars, etc…they only made them at that time because they had to, but they didn’t really want to make them or have anyone buy them. So part of the strategy is making them ugly, use depressing advertisements, etc…, so that they’d have poor sales so they could scrap them and get back to focusing on the gas guzzling cash cows.

So lets see a cool $2000 “Yugo-ish” car that people would WANT to drive without being embarassed. One that the car companies would never release in a million years because they’d lose half their profit if too many people would be satisfied with it :smiley:

pc case…

they are everywhere and all the same. come on! even the best cases are lookalike! identical vertical curbstones…

lian li is one of the best firms in this bizz and all they can come up is…

well, burj el arab??

and nexus edge,

allright, quite a good case with big space… but isn’t that kinda plain? kinda big black box :unamused:

so a good looking full tower pc case (well no tiny video game consol or htpc or notebook design) with a large space for water cooling system is my suggestion.

they are everywhere and all the same. come on! even the best cases are lookalike!

And, they are all eyesores. Personally, I’m tired of looking at any of them … mine lives in a cabinet under the desk where I don’t have to see it.

What I would like to see developed is a single, multi conductor cable that eliminates the rat’s nest of wires at the back; power, mouse, CRT, printer, internet, speakers, etc.

Almost every advertisement you see shows the computer sitting on a desk, free of any visible means of contact with the outside world. I want that computer.

You need an iMac. :smiley:

You need an iMac.

Seriously considering that, for more than one reason P … pretty hard to kick the PC habit though :neutral_face: We hateses learning curveses…

But given component form factors, and the constraints/economics of electronic packaging, I don’t expect anything too radical any time soon in the PC realm.

Why the hell not? leaving aside the patent thing for a second (and let’s face it, if someone’s going to steal your idea, they’re going to steal it, change it by 10% and re-patent it anyway no matter what measures you have in place), a lot of the things that people come up with for the 1HDC could well be made and help people, particularly the emergency shelters one that’s been done recently. We should all aspire to create something amazing and potentially life-changing instead of drawing cars or yet another pair of bloody sneakers.

So, how about some hardcore topics that focus on functionality over form and are going to make people really think. Like:

Sustainability
Solar-power (or the uses thereof)
Sustainable power generation
Water purification
Alternative uses for landfill items
Using technology to be sustainable
Crash helmets (cycling, motorbike riding etc)
Wheelchairs
Small form factor first aid kits

And to keep the sneaker and car drawing lot happy, how about interspersing the hard stuff with the fun stuff where it really is form over function:

Rock climbing holds
Hats with uses (sensible or otherwise)

Those where it’s about both:

Sledges/toboggans
Snowboard boots/bindings/boards (or skis)
Travel coffee mugs that don’t leak or break when you drop them!
Motorbikes
New environmentally friendly methods of transport
Future appliances
Awesome and totally unnecessary guns :wink:
Boats - yacht and/or speedboats

And you can go totally off the wall with weirdness too:

Steampunk technology (look it up on wikipedia if you don’t know what it is)
Unicycles (Soooooooooooo hard, how do you reinvent something that’s a seat, a pair of peddles and one wheel???)
Things that look like one thing but actually do something else entirely

I think that’s about it. I’m interested in people’s comments, I’ve been lurking here for ages and don’t sketch but do design and build. Furniture, buildings and interiors mostly (I’m good with my hands and on Sketchup) but I’m itching to enter some of the 1HDCs and just need to figure out how to sketch all the ideas I have.

What a first post.

So how does “totally unnecessary guns” and “speedboats” differ at all from cars and sneakers? Good luck on that sustainable power generation solution… within an hour. We’ve tried a number of different projects if you dig into the archives, and the ones that tend to get the biggest response are the fun ones (like speedboats). Anything that verges on an MIT pot graduate student’s thesis type of thing is general seen as more work. Most of us have lots of that, so try our best to keep them fun and accomplishable with an hour.