What has IDSA done lately - Insurance

Thanks TimF, I hope you didn’t think I was attacking you in any way, as that wasn’t my intent.

And, no, I don’t expect it to be free, I just don’t think it’s that great of an option, that’s all, considering the cost of membership to IDSA to even take advantage in the first place.

(starting rant now, skip to last paragraph to avoid)

I just got my renewal notice in the mail for IDSA and I don’t think I am going to renew, and I will tell you why. The only thing I received in exchange for my hard-earned cash (and right now, it’s really hard-earned, in a literal sense) was a magazine subscription and tons of junk mail asking for more money to enter design competitions and whatnot. Call me crazy, but hundreds of dollars for a few magazines (and ID isn’t even industrial design is it? Isn’t it International Design or some nonsense?) and no other real benefits doesn’t strike me as a bargain. I previous threads someone did a rough calculation of how much money the IDSA pulls in annually and I was amazed. You think that with that much money a DESIGN ORGANIZATION would be able to afford a functioning, well-designed website to help out its collective members. Oh yeah, there is a site that gives up-to-date news about design and has forums to discuss the field of industrial design, it’s called CORE77! Oh yeah, and it’s free. If Core77 started and organization and charged dues, I would pay them because I already receive benefits from them in the form of knowledge, entertainment, and even job opportunities (coroflot anyone?), not to mention the free hosting of my portfolio.

So, if you are already a member of IDSA (hopefully your employer pays your dues for any professional organization, if you happen to be employed, that is) and need insurance, I hope you take advantage of the waiving of fees and get insured. I just think it’s too little, too late.

I am glad TimF brought it up because someone who really needs it may now be able to afford it. I already knew about the Freelancer’s Union through Coroflot’s blog and signed up. Stay healthy people!