1HDC 08.08 - Voting Booth - Discussion

yo… while I find the idea of internet voting extremely attractive from the standpoint of improving voter turnout, it fails to address an EXTREMELY important aspect of running a free and fair election–the ability for one’s vote to be anonymous.

Unlike an in-person election (or even absentee voting by mail), where one can provide credentials in order to obtain a ballot but mantain anonymity when turning in the completed ballot, voting via the Internet would require that one’s unique identity was verified throughout every step of the voting process, up to and including submission of the completed ballot. While the organization running the election COULD promise that identities were not being tied to votes, unless the voter can verify that fact for themselves, it’s still a major issue.

Unfortunately, with the way the Internet operates at the moment, it’s impossible to solve that issue without removing the unique identification process–and unique identification is necessary to prevent ballot fraud. (Unless I’m missing something, of course–and I hope I am, as I still like the core concept of being able to vote from anywhere when it’s convenient.)