1HDC 08.07 - Sick Ass Car Rendering!! - Discussion

Jerry,

Really, you are making an issue out of nothing. I think it’s pretty clear to most other members here, the judges and the like, which entries were the strongest and on what account.

The competition was a “sick ass rendering”. Key word being rendering. This 1HDC wasn’t so much a problem solving competition, (as others have been), but more a skills based rendering competition. Sorry, but your skills in this department just didn’t cut it. If you can’t look at your own drawing, the others, and compare, I don’t think any amount of “professional comments” will help. From your tone all along, it’s pretty obvious you don’t really want feedback, you are looking for a pat on the back. Not going to happen, bro.

As for the personal remarks to IP, they are certainly not constructive, and certainly not within the tone that is acceptable here on the core boards.

R

I am glad to be selected as the 2nd place entry, but understand the feelings of the upset entrants who spent time setting up and crafting work that met the project brief, criteria and entrance spec to then be disqualified by the contest moderator pre industry professional judging effort.

The promise of the contest was based on the premise that if you met the criteria and made the effort to enter Mr. Gilles would view your work.
In the brief core77 made no mention of a moderators short list based on his personal judgement.
Had this been a part of the brief, few if any entrants would have made the effort to enter, however it would have been fair.

This was a simple contest with simple rules and an exciting promise that got people fired up. To amend the rules mid stream is uncool to say the least.

Above all you disappointed a hand full of people who spent time entering, met all the criteria and would have been good competition for the seven of us you selected.
From Jason Ho, David Hu, Don Stiff and three or four others who made the effort and completed in some cases entered Sick ass work, I am bummed that you got the shaft too.

Shame on you Core77. You are more professional than that.

This is my little personal rant and karma alignment.
So everyone understands, This is my personal opinion and has nothing to do with the opinions or feelings of the studio I work for.
In general I enjoy Core 77 and believe it to be an exceptional group of dedicated design enthusiasts. Our studio loves Core77.

Lets make sure the next one is on the level so I can convince people to enter again.

Regards,

Paul Kirley

Hey, I’d like some feedback. I thought my entry was pretty decent (although I liked some others better). Interestingly enough, most of those I really liked didn’t make the cut either (think ADD, that is awesomely clean and clear). While some that did make it offend me (think backass2, hey, I’m being brutally honest here and I hate to call people out, but WHAT!!!?). So clearly my opinion as a professional designer varies highly from the jury and I’d like to hear what people with different opinions have to say about my entry (I’m always looking for more perspective on my work).

Anyone (and I mean anyone) who has time they want to spend giving me a little feedback would be appreciated (and I understand if you don’t either have the time or you just don’t want to waste it on this). I was brutally honest above, so, please be brutally honest with me (I can take it). I will say I beleived the video portion to be for documenting the process (in order to eliminate ‘cheaters’) and not for entertainment, so I already recognize that this could have been improved.

My entry is here (and at the bottom of the first page of submissions if you want to watch the video):

http://boards.core77.com/download.php?id=2997

Thanks!

I would suggest you go back and re-read where this subject matter got nasty. Let’s take a look at ip’s replies…

1.)

We don’t want to close it off from blue sky. But, going by the idea that this is going to be seen by someone in the industry who will be picking the 3 finalists, I would probably lean towards producable within the next 5 - 10 years.

Is he being a d1ck here? no. Someone had a question, he replied in kind.

2.)

Yowza!

I go into hibernation for a few days and come back to a small pile of truly hot sketches/vids.

Great work everyone! You definitely surprised me with the quality.

Very inspiring.

Here, he’s obviously in a good mood about the whole thing.

3.)

The short list is the top six I chose as the finalists for Ralph to choose from so that we don’t take away too much from his very busy schedule.

This was his answer to my query about the difference between the short-list and a list with everyone on it. Acceptable.

no

short answer.

4.)

I will throw you this bone…you will need to hunt their entry down yourself. The top seven were in no particular order:

Are you condoning that moderators treat other board members like this? If anyone gets this answer, it’s because the person saying it is typically being a d1ck. Which ip himself agrees with.

if anything he’s said is on point, me being dick head is probably it.

I wasn’t the only person curious to see who else made the cut:

can we after the results?

So, in short, I don’t think, as moderator, ip_wirelessly was a professional about my queries and could use some lessons in being mannerly.

And, sure, I may have crossed the line a little but only because of ip’s acknowledgment of his own behavior for which he hasn’t apologized.

I had a great time working on this challenge which I’ve mentioned before. I’ve been here for awhile longer than ip_ and hope to be a member in the future. But, if I feel someone’s being disrespectful, I just can’t let it slide. Especially if its someone who’s representing Core77 as a moderator. I don’t need any pats on the back but I, like everyone else here, deserves equal amounts of respect.

Please forgive me for my behavior, and I honestly congratulate the winners…

I got next. :slight_smile:

Your lineweight is very chicken-scratchy and static. Theres no variations in line weight, no focal point, and the perspective on the back wheel is totally botched. A lot of the details suffer from bad perspective (like the front wheel arch which isn’t actually round?)

Your coloring itself was fairly good - but again there is no focal point, and the background really ruins things for me. The solid color with the really strange shadow (square shadow) is distracting.

I think the biggest difference in your overall technique vs the winners is that they focused on doing loose and quick styles - whereas your style comes off as rushed, not loose.

The overall design has some nice elements - very Elise-ish.

You’re assuming he didn’t look through the whole thread. My short listing is intended to save him as much time as possible. I would even go as far as to say that if I DIDN’T short list it, only the three that caught his attention while scrolling through in the 30 mins he puts aside for this would get looked at in any detail, as opposed to the 7 or 8.

There is discussion and there is some back and forth that occurs.

Honestly, did you think that the Designer of the Chrysler 300 is going to sit through every single video in the thread? Take notes of the Designer’s names? Is he going to crack open anything that doesn’t catch his attention?

I have no delusion that this endeavor to something more than a fun little gig. If, in the process, your work passes the desk of a Design Leader even better. If, in the process, your work is GOOD ENOUGH to get a Design Leader to pick yours, awesome.

But man, let’s not for a second turn this into something that is going to change the world, let alone someone’s career. I might have the attitude of Simon Cowell, but I don’t have that kind of pull.

Thanks Cyberdemon, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

Anyone else?

Honestly, did you think that the Designer of the Chrysler 300 is going to sit through every single video in the thread? Take notes of the Designer’s names? Is he going to crack open anything that doesn’t catch his attention?

Did you think he wasn’t? Do you know what he does in his free time besides play with his Little Tikes TotSports Golf Set?

No. I never once thought he would take anything more than a sideways glance at anything that didn’t catch his attention.

Fair enough.

But, I must admit, honestly, I was really excited to share my work with him.

Granted, my background is more with illustrations /cartooning, sketching, and design research, but I’ve loved drawing cars since the first time I used a quarter as a template to draw wheels. That’s something I feel I shared in common with Ralph, plus, he’s not white and in such an esteemed position with a major car company. Who wouldn’t want to be like him?

It would’ve been great to hear what he would have to say about my work.

That’s probably the main reason I’m so upset. Not necessarily that I didn’t win, I’ve lost many things. But to hear something positive from someone you look up to has a value greater than all the failures one may have had.

That’s all. Nothing personal ip_

I apologize, guess my emotions got the better of me.

If we were in Amsterdam, I’d puff a peace pipe with u. :sunglasses:

We cool?

As a cucumber.

Congratulations to the Winners:

Svensson, hot sketch and great video!

Paul Kirley_ I’d love to see a 3d model of that sketch

I’d also like to Thank Jon (IPWirelessly) for putting these things together. The 1HDC’s take a lot of time and energy and give us all a great opportunity to be seen and have fun. Thanks Jon!

Yesterday was about venting.

It’s Friday, a new day, and still would like to discuss objectively about the whole judging process.

Part of the criteria of this competition was to deliver a sketch and also a 2 minute video. All 3 of the winners had videos greater than 2 minutes.

To be > eligible > you must video tape yourself spilling your ink and your soul into this one. We will then ask you to compress that one hour down into a 2 Minute Video and post it, along with an image of the final rendering, for the world to see.

If a video exceeded the time constraints, how can they still be eligible?
I don’t think it’s fair to everyone else who followed the rules.

I’ve entered several film slams where I’ve submitted video without music or dialogue. Some of the feedback I’ve received I can share with you here.

If you’re watching a two-minute video without anything to audibly engage the viewer, it’s a challenge to keep interest in the video portion. Some of the videos here did a good job of tying the visual and audio portions together. Several videos had some annoying background noise throughout the video.

I love making videos so I only hope the encourage everyone with some useful criticism.

I’ve used Windows Movie Maker in the past. It gets the job done and is a good basic start when venturing into the video realm as a new media.

Lately, I’ve been using Pinnacle Studio 12: Enhanced Version - Pinnacle Studio: Video Editing Software & Screen Recorder

It’s only $100 and gives more flexibility than WMM. You have a layer for video, sound effects, titles, and music with the ability to modify sound levels as well and can export in a variety of formats.

Video is also very demanding to work with. It takes up a lot of space and memory so it helps to keep like 10gb of free space for those operations. It also wouldn’t hurt to keep up with regular maintenance with Disk Cleanups and Defragging the harddrive.

Thanks again to everyone who entered.

I thought your entry was very strong, and has linework LIGHT YEARS ahead of some of the entries that actually placed. The reason you didn’t make it? Probably a few things:

1. Rear wheel perspective is awful. So off that it gives me a WTF reaction.

2. Colors were not as dramatic as other entries

3. Perhaps should be more Chrysler oriented. The 68-70 Charger ripoff entry had fantastic lighting, but the perspective was just as awful as yours. His made it, yours didn’t.

4. Better design? Your car looks like a Lotus, a 360, tons of other sports cars. Mine did too, so don’t feel bad. I just wish we would have had a bit more time, I had a few other entries half done. Argh.

Anyway, sleep well knowing that yours was pretty good, and in my opinion, superior to some of the ‘picked’ renderings.

Next time try iMovie on a mac. It’s very easy to use, and quite powerful. Plus it’s free on any new mac, since it comes installed.

hmmmm… I guess everyone should actually be disqualified, I didn’t see any actual ink or soul spilling in those vids :wink:

R

Thanks to IP and the core moderaters for making this happen. Also thanks to Ralph for taking a look that is pretty cool of him and really exciting for all of us underlings :stuck_out_tongue:.

Mr-914: Glad someone noticed my sneaky blur :stuck_out_tongue:

Next time, please no bashing of the other entries, especially not after the fact of judging. You win some you lose some thats what you get yourself into when you enter a competition.

I would also thank people who made this comp happen!
and jerry you can’t be serious ?!

So the last word isn’t a negative one…thanks to everyone for your entries and your support. I do have fun with this, and I hope you all are as well.

NOTE >> I have edited some of the sour grapes comments out. Next time, less chatter about videos running over, and more work on your skills.

To everyone that participated and or watched with interest, thank you. Some amazing work has been coming out of these 1 hour sessions! Your great work has been attracting the attention of the blogs and some great guest judges.

Hope to see you raise the bar in the next one and tell your friends to take an hur out of their day to have some fun!

Michael