1HDC 08.07 - Sick Ass Car Rendering!! - Discussion

lmao… throw me a bone…
:unamused:
keep up the power trip.

anyway,
thanks for everyone’s entry. I was able to see how you all worked.

congrats to the winners, I guess I have more work to do! This was a particularly fun challenge with the video, I agree with B-art that it would be great to have this required for the next one (or extra credit) as it really adds a great dimension to the 1hdc.

dbpuyo, take it how you want. Call it a power trip, whatever, no skin off my nose and I respect the fact that you’re calling me out on the fact that I came off as condescending. I do appreciate everyone putting in the time for this little thing that was nothing more than a whim about a year ago. Its gone far beyond anything I expected it to. I hope the little bit of exposure it garners everyone helps out. Listening to Jerry’s pedantic rants is not worth my time and I am not going to sugar coat it any other way. A diplomat I am not.

Jerry, I simply don’t have time to go into why I don’t think everyone didn’t make the final 7. Beyond that, if you look at the work provided there are a few that were a tough call, but for the most part I would guess anyone can look at the work and make a pretty educated guess as to why it didn’t make the cut.

congrats to all… and a big thank you to the organizers for the “1HDC”
i had fun , actually thought about my process of rendering, and i think i am 5 % better than what i used to be :slight_smile:
hoping to participate more next time

I will sum up why you didn’t make it, judging by the 3 winners (congrats btw, I guess)

1. Use cool colors. This will hide an absolutely horrible sketch. Use really dramatic lighting, and pick contrasting colors. Then shade it so you can’t see the awful linework.

2. Ignore perspective for more drama. Twist the front ends, make things lopsided, and don’t worry about a sketch being clear about form…just make sure it has emotion.

3. Keep sketch as loose as possible. Don’t refine it. Don’t erase any of the draw through lines. Avoid anything tight in the linework or the marker/rendering section

Congrats to everyone, once again, and I don’t mean this to offend anyone, it is just my observation based on the winners. Hopefully next time it will be a real actual contest, instead of an admin selecting which ones he likes best for judging. That kinda pisses me off actually.

I won!! yeah.
a few words to cash68, all your 3 points refer to my work obviously.
What was the theme for this competition again? something like sick ass car rendering. In 1 hour you can hardly put together a decent package, do Ideation sketches, draw trough all the views. So it all comes down to how effective the process and final drawing looks. I had a cintiq on my table as well, I knew if i use real media I had a real chance to win this, because it just looks more fun.

Kudos to Sven, i loved your sketch in the first place so very well done. I also say well done to those that got short listed.

Ip, wouldnt worry about having to justify yourself those who are aware that anything on core is done outside of working hours( which it seems some people do forget - you do have a job ) we are grateful for anything you provide. This 1HDC in particular was fantastic, simple to see pro designers draw sick ass car renderings… cant get much better than that so thanks. And the power tripping comment? pfff everyone should be grateful that the 1HDC even exists so far as im concerned power trip away.

Let’s be honest here in regards to this shortlisting nonsense. it was quite obvious who the top 6-8 were. Compare them to your own work they were sick! I could of never of competed with them. They had the following attritubtes:

1. so much life and emotion
  2. colours were dramatic
  3. designs were either very conceptual, modern old school, or simply partly left to the imagination
  4. perspective was tight
  5. line quality and weight spot on
  6. they were sick<- as the competition name suggested.

Benny mate i did think you were unlucky your interior sketch was awesome!

Anyway that all said well done IP, well done the top 3, and huge congrats to Sven, oh and well done to you… i couldnt of even done that type of vehicle sketch in 20mins let alone 6min!

congrats to the winners!

Something I just noticed is that nice blur that Vaughn used in their sketch. It gives a nice DOF effect, making it pop a little more. I have to try that.

This is definitely the 1 hr challenge that inspires me the most!

pfff everyone should be grateful that the 1HDC even exists so far as im concerned power trip away.

Let’s be honest here in regards to this shortlisting nonsense. it was quite obvious who the top 6-8 were. Compare them to your own work they were sick! I could of never of competed with them.

Here’s what I defined as sick for my motivation:

Take a real good look at this image. How much gasoline is being wasted from idling in traffic? How much time is going to waste idling in traffic? I can make an educated guess that most people would like to see some solutions to this problem.

Anyone can make sick-ass renderings so don’t sell yourself short. The judge here obviously chose style over substance.

You know, not to sugar coat what is happening in the real world.

I am a diplomat for change whatever it may look like.

There are real problems taking place in the transportation industry. Whether its with energy, highway infrastructure, or the demand for fuel-efficient cars when the Big 3 have overspecialized in SUV’s. Dealerships who have been in the business of selling cars which started as sick-ass renderings are now shuttering their doors.

I think Industrial Designers with a talent for making sick-ass renderings can also be a part of positive improvements in our society which are needed now more than ever.

Everone knows all this, it was 60 minutes, chill out.

Jerry,

While I don’t disagree with you - you need to realize that this was a quick sketching competition for the purposes of fun - not solving the transportation industrys energy crisis.

You can go into an entire rant on the politics of design but thats not what this is about. A professional designer took a few minutes out of their time to review some different sketches and pick which ones he liked the best. There wasn’t a panel of officials, a $1 million dollar prize, and weeks of preparation that would be needed for ANY project with substance. If you really were capable of creating an environmentally responsible design that wasn’t anything more then putting some callouts that said “hybrid magic fuel cell that runs on salt water” in an hour you’d deserve a nobel prize.

It’s very easy to get pissed at the motivation and criteria in any form of competition, especially one you put work into. But in the end you’re just wasting energy to accomplish nothing - you either stay bitter or you pick up your markers, smile, and move on to the next competition.

Hey, I’m cooler than an ice brick, honey bunny.

While I don’t disagree with you - you need to realize that this was a quick sketching competition for the purposes of fun - not solving the transportation industrys energy crisis.

You know, that’s what the real loss is. And it’s unfortunate.

I’m really not bitter at all…just upset that it’s another day nothing’s really solved and ip being a phallus is what really started it.

but, hey, you are what you eat.

If you’re that heartbroken about it why haven’t you spent time looking into it yourself?

The automotive energy crisis is an issue of technology, infrastructure, and public perception. Designing a sweet looking electric vehicle is great, but the bottom line is from a design perspective theres NOTHING you can offer right now that hasn’t been looked at by hundreds of corporate engineers, student designers, and grassroots garage mechanics.

You can rehash a cool design over an existing vehicle concept, but thats not solving any problems - it’s just taking an old solution and making it look slicker. It’s the battery engineers, fuel cell engineers, and aero engineers who are the ones that are going to make a difference.

I’m all for the “designers can solve any problem!” mentality, but without real solid understandings of the problem, and the engineering and technology behind it to make things work - what you’re trying to do is nothing more than making feel-good drawings for products you can’t build.

And for a person who’s not bitter you can probably leave out the c**k sucker comments.

I’ve actually spent the last 5 years looking into it:

http://www.designerspace.com/pages/3-designerspace/design/a/568/ntdd/0/m/11/portfolios.html

http://www.designerspace.com/pages/3-designerspace/design/a/568/p/1/ntdd/1/m/1/portfolios.html

http://www.designerspace.com/pages/3-designerspace/design/a/568/ntdd/3/m/11/portfolios.html

http://www.designerspace.com/pages/3-designerspace/design/a/568/p/1/ntdd/5/m/1/portfolios.html

It would be nice to get some professional feedback on people’s work here…it’s all I asked for. How else do you learn?

But, no, he’d much rather be a c0c|<sucker, as YOU say.

ip doesn’t have time to comment on any submissions here. but he has time to comment on furniture. check it:

My comment only comes in the form of having just sat in a “modern rectalinear” sofa for a few hours the other night. In general it was a neat looking piece of furniture but it was horribly uncomfortable for anything more than a few minutes. The comments that came out during the party were:

1. It was too deep. To rest your back you had to sit way back in the couch. The shorter women couldn’t sit on the couch and bend their knees.

2. Too hard. It looked soft and comfy. But when you went ot sit, you damn near broke your tailbone.

3. Back too low. The back came up to the middle of my spine. My core fitness was not good enough to sit comfortably in this couch

What’s up with that?

You can be his flunky all you want.

damn… c’mon guys lets stop this. there is no point arguing further.

This was a simple aesthetic / visual design challenge and although approach might be different, that is the bottom line.

It doesn’t matter how ip_wireless is acting since I am not here for him but he is an admin who does contribute alot of his time for us and I can kind of understand where he is coming from as well.

but I do appreciate this site alot!! and all the work that I am able to reference. I think this time lapse video was especially great since I was able to see some amazing work.

and that, is what I am here for.

so, lets not fight,
Lets have next challenge!! :slight_smile:

Don’t sweat it CD…if anything he’s said is on point, me being dick head is probably it. When I hear something that matters or actually has substance I will be happy to put my time towards it.

Wow. Really?

yeah should of explained a bit more thought that might come back.

As in a tight loose perspective sketch if you see what i mean lol. Not a heavily drawn through but you could atleast like all the others see the perspective was pretty much there. Some entrants perspective was wayyyyy off.

And like wise line quality for that style of loose sketch was spot on.

What can i say i just loved Svens lol

okay, so basically, if you mention anything pen1s related, ip will be happy comment.

now that’s funny.

I guess it’s too much to ask from you to share your professional insight on the car designs here, when you’d rather be condescending and talk about wood, I mean furniture.