1HDC 08.06 - Back to School Bag! Discussion Forum

@c2c: i agree concerning joshsins stackable pack. looked too good to have been done in a hour.

I disagree… it doesnt look too good to be done within 1 hour :wink:

finally found the forum…
hi all

A long over due thanks to mindsystem for mentioning me, my first challenge ever at 1hdc.
I can assure you if i ever get around to making it that those little devils will be tight as heck. Agree in that not many people would actually wear that around, but just wanted to do something crazy cuz you never get the chance anywhere else.

a question for designugly (if word ever gets there) what was the tool used for your sketches? Absolutely drooled over the line work, amazing.
anyone knows?

This is just a guess ,Design ugly probably used a wacom cintiq and PS for the lines and Sketchbook pro for the coloring.

Oh No!
I’ve been away on vacation for last few weeks, just returned…please say it’s not too late to enter?

If it is then good luck to all that entered.
Note to self…I need internet connectivity at the lake.
human

thx fingers, tried wacom and ps but took hella long for me, must practice.

It depends on which wacom you use. If you have a cintiq 21qx (or whatever it is) then it will be a bit easier. The surface turns on them and the screen is right there as well. If you are like me and rock a intuos, then you have to get use to it a bit more. There is a new cintiq that is much cheaper then the 21, I think it is named 12 or something like that. I want to get one really bad. Also if you are using a intuos you may want to try using corel painter x, over PS to sketch. You can spin the ‘paper’ and this helps a lot. I still use my tablet with PS, but it is not typically to sketch in.

I’ve made some cool stuff on the laser cutter in way less then an hour. If Joshua know illustrator well and has a laser cutter. And an acrylic bender then I think if he had the idea thought out before he started it could be in an hour or less. But if you included the time for the cutter to do its thing then it might be a little over.

Make it in one hour? Maybe possible. Think of it, design it, do concept sketches, make it, finish it, photograph it, and make a presentation board?

Not a chance. I really don’t care though because the idea isn’t really that great anyway.

no wonder, me got the good’ol CTE-440, tiny that thing is. Is the 12wx expensive?

as for the stackable bag debate:
he could have done the model + taken the pics within an hour if he knew what he was doing, doesn’t take rocket science to bend plastic. I know it was established that coming up with the idea does not have to be included in the hour, but coming up with such a polished image board is a bit super human for me.
My conclusion is: doable, if he didn’t stop at all to think, and with kick as$ tools.

There are several solar powered bags on the market right now that include a power adapter. Those bags are really just emergency chargers, which can be useful. dOck bag feels like a charging station, which I personally never liked. Also, how would the bag be used? The plug would never be used except when you are at home, where you would probably take your cell phone or lap top out of your bag for use. When exactly do you plug the devices into the bag? When you put the gadgets in the bag which is probably when you are leaving home or when you come home? If it’s when you come home this assumes you take the gadgets out of the bag to plug them in, which is contrary to the point of the bag. On the go, if you take the gadgets out of the bag, then you have to plug it back in to something that won’t charge until later. It’s an interesting idea but I think it would be a hassle to use.

@ hs.wang:
simon_four_fingers was partially right. I did my sketching on a cintiq (21UX), But I only used photoshop for the text after the sketch was done. All my lines and shading were from sketchbook. Glad you liked it.

liked your style of presentation, thumbs to ya.

So close… Yeah sketchbook it fantastic if you have a cintiq. I think with the non-screen tablets that painter is a better set up. The 12wx is like a grand, the 21ux is like $2500, and you have to wait a bit to get one. I knew a kid in undergrad who had one, and would let me play on it. The smaller was designed by Ziba in Portland, sorta cool I guess.

WTF Core77? 1st place gets a “We wonder how long it really took him” comment?

So you think it took him more than an hour, but you still gave him first place?

You might as well just get rid of the “1 Hour” part of these contests if you aren’t even going to enforce your own estimates. I think it’d make the contests more even anyway, since it seems some people always seem to achieve a remarkable amount of work in only one hour.

Anyway, props to all who participated. Overall much better entries than the shoe contest.

You might as well just get rid of the “1 Hour” part of these contests if you aren’t even going to enforce your own estimates. I think it’d make the contests more even anyway, since it seems some people always seem to achieve a remarkable amount of work in only one hour.

This was a tough call. Given that this competition is based on an honor system, we wanted to give the designer the benefit of the doubt. Similarly, we wanted to present the guest judges’ comments (and concerns) unedited. Thanks again to everyone who participated.

I’d say it just ruins the credibility of the whole thing. :neutral_face: If you are suspiscious, knock it down, it shouldn’t get first place. Give 1st place to the one you guys believe was done in one hour. Making accusations but then not doing anything about it just seems completely dumb. Either keep quiet about the honor system, or mark it down.

That’s a wrap. I had so much fun with the challenge. now I’m more challenged to do better next time and take the advises from them. I really like this;
And their advice to those who didn’t make the top 3?: “Though some of the designs were just as good as the final 3, the lack of sufficient explanation was the reason they weren’t picked. This draws back to presentation skills and the need for call-outs on the sketches, or a brief write up on the sketch. Not everyone judging at Timbuk2 was a designer, and that’s the norm in a real world situation.”

I suuuuuupurr agree. good luck next time. tata…

And their advice to those who didn’t make the top 3?: "Though some of the designs were just as good as the final 3, the lack of sufficient explanation was the reason they weren’t picked. This draws back to presentation skills and the need for call-outs on the sketches, or a brief write up on the sketch. Not everyone judging at Timbuk2 was a designer, and that’s the norm in a real world situation.

Who were some of these people?

Great job to the winners and everyone who threw down!!!