1HDC 08.06 - Back to School Bag! Submission Forum

Laptop bag

bag + laptop

enjoy!

bag

backpack + messanger bag

enjoy

Back-packs cause back pain.

I suggest placing the pack on the side of the leg.
This way you can access the contents of your bag
while still seated! I included an MP3 player pouch
for easy access on the top.

Sup guys

I’ve come accross 2 problems with all my bags:

1. My marker pad never fits in them properly, i.e it is never covered over, it always sticks out the top

2. Snack food such as bananas, grapes get squashed and i have ruined many a good book by their juices

I own both rucksacks, A4 flat carrying bags and an A3 portflio case, why? cause neither one does all 3 functions.

Therefore below is a bag which allows for a portoflio functionality which looks professional allowing it to be taken into interviews meetings etc… as well as having the over should strap casual look.

The bag is the size of an A3 marker pad and has a main section allowing for Pads, books folders to be stored their. The main compartment also has sides which means that when turned landscape and carried like a portfolio\breifcase all contents wont fall out It also has what i call a “Joey pouch” (should of called it a hamster pouch) to allow for snacks to be put, drink or anything that needs to be seperate from the pads. It has on the inside cover a section to put pens, markers, drawing templates etc…

The bag has magnetic catches at the bottom to hold the front flap in place simply because i hate velcro and if this has to look professional as well as casual. The ends of the straps would be stitched to the bag apart from the ends connecting the the shoulder strap which would have eylets and poppers.

The colours i picked could obviously be changed, in hindsight i’ve giving it a awful colour scheme, but obviously there could be big scope thier for graphics different colours etc…

Think thats about it, please crit.

Entry breakdown

• About 4 mornings thinking whilst in the shower
  • Boarder pre done from previous entry i never got round to
  • 2 plan view sketches and colouring 5min
  • 3D strap explanation sketch + colour 25min
  • 3\4 shot sketch and colour (you should see the actual line work if you zoom in, its shocking) 25min
  • Grab photos, anotate 5min

Clock stopped whilst trying to fix linework on 3\4 shot, in hindsight definately do this view first.

I basically just wanted to make a sleek backpack that connected with the human body. Many kids coming out of school these days have horrible back issues because of all the books they carry, so I made a backpack with bone and organ aesthetic that helps your back! The red and silver mesh are “muscle/organs and tendons” while the hard shell plastic is the “bone” (a second backbone if you will).

Ideally, it would help any user by adjusting to rest on the correct pressure points on their back and not cause stress. The hardshell keeps the user from getting jabbed by book corners, stray pencils, etc. while promoting proper posture moreso than a floppy canvas bag. Better posture means better distribution of weight.

There are “X”-brace straps and padded shoulder straps in front of them. The “X”-Brace straps (which are against your back) reduce bouncing and the shoulder pads distribute the weight. The other cool thing is the plastic “rollbar” that kind of reminded me of a clavicle. It hinges down to allow access to the main pouch which could store a laptop, books, etc while keeping your possessions safe.
****Anyways, I’d like to thank my co-op boss, Bruce, for letting me take a one hour break today and letting me use the Cintiq to make my entry! Thanks!

[This is just a little reflection on design/method, not part of contest.]
Ow. Hand Dying. I came right under the wire, lol 58:47! I don’t know how you people do it. I guess I had over-expectations for myself. I had to rush through colors and textures… not to mention having to mirror the backpack’s front view so I wouldn’t run out of time. I ended up throwing down the text and backbone image in the last 5 minutes (thank you wikipedia!) But seriously, I should have realized we can just do sketches! It would have been better to show the function instead of adding colors and the graphic. Well, there’s next time right? Good luck everyone! There are some sweet designs here!

A totally new carrying concept, standing out from the classic ways of carrying bags.

This is the GoPack, and really I just tried to accomplish 2 things that I personally really want out of a backpack:

1. a dedicated, reinforced computer pocket to eliminate the need for a separate protective computer case

2. a removable pen/pencil holder. Something that is still part of the pack, so that it can be easily accessed while inside the bag, but can also be removed for easier use at a desk. This means that the pens and pencils can always live in one place, and the user doesn’t have to transfer them between a desktop penholder and his or her bag. Also this would be much easier to clean (no buildup of pencil shavings and other crap at the bottom of the pen pocket of the bag)

Then, of course, for school/every day use the water bottle holder and durable, water-resistant base are a must.

My first 1HDC!

My concept combines a typical soft bag (fabric /canvas etc) with a hard shell plastic bag. The idea behind this is that hard shell bags offer superior protection but do not allow for much flexibility (when its full its full), while the soft bag will let you jam that last book in there even after its already overstuffed, but may not protect your delicate items against some of the day to day torchure they may come across. My concept is a soft bag at the core and is covered with ‘armor’ plates for shock protection. This allows for the flexibility and comfort of a soft bag while gaining the extra protection for whatever you’ve got inside. The armor plates are hard plastic covered in a grippy rubber, similar to what you might find on a cell phone case, and the core is a durable nylon or canvas that will stand up to rips and tears.

Ideation: 20 minutes
sketching: 20 minutes
layout/upload: 20 minutes

A few things I dislike about backpacks and going from class to class (although I am graduated now so no back to school for me…)

-all the dirt and dust the bottom of you bag can accumulate throughout a day of classes (which usually ends up on my lower back/butt area)

-Storing the limp backpack on the ground causes my notebooks and folders (and unfortunately my sketchbook) to be in a constant curved shape.

• Similarly, plopping the backpack next to my desk with reckless abandon makes the corners of all my papers and folders (and again sadly my sketchbook) to become bent and raggedy.

-Also i despise backpacks with a million little pockets that NOTHING fits in. One large space for everything and a small pocket on the outside is plenty separation for me.

The result: A classic messenger bag, with rubber clips that allow you to hang the bag on your desk eliminating all these issues.

Hope my sketches are clear to portray this (colored pencils + my crappy scanner doesn’t always produce the nicest pictures)

Enjoy.
:smiley:

Sketching and photoshop-ing down to the minute.
Sphere pouches molded out of either thin rubber/light weight plastic (PET-G?)/or fabric.
Red lip rim added around the zippers make them look like mouth and teeth, pouch is attached to bag via webbing.
Rest are simple and efficient pockets and dividers, which most of us are use to by now, why mess with a good thing?

Practical? Efficient? Absurdly expensive and time consuming to produce?
Maybe, give me a week and I’ll tell ya.

But no doubt this will earn you some attention,
do they still beat up the cool kids in school?

If the previous 1HDC’s are example, multiple entries are okay. Correct me if I’m wrong. But the rules don’t say you can’t submit multiple times. IF only one is accepted, then I’d go with this one over the other… Again, took about 40min total, with the quality and innovation of 5-10min…

The MonsterPak. It eats your homework and holds your supplies, whatever they may be. General market would be for whoever happens to want one. Comes with the choice of soft “plush” or tougher canvas/other clothes, depending on the user’s choice. And in various colors, of course. But I guess the “innovation”/idea behind it is that you can switch between messenger bag and backpack. So if you need one or the other you can switch quickly. Because the strap hooks into a button-able strap/flap at the bottom (sorry if it’s hard to see). That way, if you need to run somewhere all of a sudden (late for class/date/meeting/whatever it may be) you won’t have the messenger bag getting in your way. Maybe it’s not much of an innovation, but I’ve never seen one like it…

Here is my entry, padded foam exterior to protect your belongings and a side zipper to mix it up from the conventional double pull zipper.

I spent a lot more time on the concept than the rendering this time around. It is a messenger bag that locks to your chair/desk so people don’t “borrow” markers/ellipse guides/laptops/whatever.

Hope you enjoy! Styling is so so, but functionality= awesome. :slight_smile:

if you have ever been to the airport you know how difficult it can be to unload your laptop while at the same time kick off your shoes, belt, wristwatch, wallet, while still maintaining composure.

this bag can at least help with not having to unload your laptop.

Dual compartment bag that hangs on the locker door. Has separate compartments for books and laptop, and has a hidden trap door for storing your valuables where the kids with “sticky fingers” can’t get to 'em. Pull your skateboard out from between the compartments and ride in style.

Here is my first entry, is it a modular hard shell backpack. You can create your own custom bag, according with your needs. I hope you like it!

We all find it frustrating in the morning, after a long night of cramming, that all the stuff we need to pack is just so difficult to find.

This concept allows you to lay everything in front of you, on your desk when you get home. Then do your study, on the bag itself, and roll it up in the morning with everything still there.

Don’t waste precious time looking for things, and miss that bus.

After all, we all deserve a little nap in front of the desk, especially after all that hardcore cramming all night long.

Ideation: 35m
Sketching: 10m
Touch ups: 15m

johnnyS
coroflot.com/johnnyshi

dOck bag
Instead of taking all your gadgets out of your bag for recharge when you get home (or when you’re on the road), simply plug your bag to an electric outlet.

First Post Ever. Did it wrong first time; think I’m on the right track now.
The concept is simple; a bag that keeps your stuff organized and protected
and makes everything easy to access.

This has a pocket for your hands that also has a hidden elastic pocket for your phone/whatever. Think about the elastic pocket like a sheet pulled tight on a bed, you could stick things in there and they will not move around too much. So it’s a bag that will let you keep your hands warm, and your stuff accessible.