1HDC 08.06 - Back to School Bag! Submission Forum

I basically just wanted to make a sleek backpack that connected with the human body. Many kids coming out of school these days have horrible back issues because of all the books they carry, so I made a backpack with bone and organ aesthetic that helps your back! The red and silver mesh are “muscle/organs and tendons” while the hard shell plastic is the “bone” (a second backbone if you will).

Ideally, it would help any user by adjusting to rest on the correct pressure points on their back and not cause stress. The hardshell keeps the user from getting jabbed by book corners, stray pencils, etc. while promoting proper posture moreso than a floppy canvas bag. Better posture means better distribution of weight.

There are “X”-brace straps and padded shoulder straps in front of them. The “X”-Brace straps (which are against your back) reduce bouncing and the shoulder pads distribute the weight. The other cool thing is the plastic “rollbar” that kind of reminded me of a clavicle. It hinges down to allow access to the main pouch which could store a laptop, books, etc while keeping your possessions safe.
****Anyways, I’d like to thank my co-op boss, Bruce, for letting me take a one hour break today and letting me use the Cintiq to make my entry! Thanks!

[This is just a little reflection on design/method, not part of contest.]
Ow. Hand Dying. I came right under the wire, lol 58:47! I don’t know how you people do it. I guess I had over-expectations for myself. I had to rush through colors and textures… not to mention having to mirror the backpack’s front view so I wouldn’t run out of time. I ended up throwing down the text and backbone image in the last 5 minutes (thank you wikipedia!) But seriously, I should have realized we can just do sketches! It would have been better to show the function instead of adding colors and the graphic. Well, there’s next time right? Good luck everyone! There are some sweet designs here!