1HDC 08.05 - Vive le Tour Submission Forum

That shot of the Bont shoe looks pretty hot, but it’s computer generated. Their shoes don’t look that hot in real life.

Pretty run of the mill actually.

I am new to road biking(about a month) but have been mountain biking for awhile. Your comments make sense and I would reconsider my design now. My understanding was that the removable booties were primarily to reduce wind resistance and possibly act like “under armor”. I assumed there was a reason they haven’t done it already but I sketched it anyway. Thanks for the input zwindustrial .

This is how I would picture the futuristic racing shoe.

So far, most of the submissions seem to focus on looks alone, but weight is also a huge factor…

The Bont shoes might not be as flashy in that picture, but also note that they only weigh 250 grams. They are not, however, the lightest shoes out there.

Rocket7 has some kicks that come in at 170 grams which is pretty damn light.

Specialized also has a pair that is only 250g with a mechanical closure system which many riders prefer over Velcro…
http://www.ajssportinggoods.com/lifesports/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Specialized+BG+S-Works+Road+Bike+Shoe&pf_id=SP_610800&dept_id=18015

I’m just putting these examples out there so people know what’s already in the market. Most of the submissions look really good though. Cycling shoes is a big game of materials which can be hard to show through 1-hour sketches for sure…

My concept is based on one shoe for a Tri-athlete. After the biking portion of the race the athlete would fold the front tread over the toe clip when they would begin their run. This eliminates the need for a separate biking and running shoe by combining the most important aspect of the biking shoe, the toe clip built into a running shoe.
shoe2-1.jpg

This slip on is aimed at a less extreme–but more typical cyclist. A commuter that does not want to lug around an extra pair of shoes while riding. The inspiration came from a pair of Patagonia shoes I saw in an outdoors store almost 6 months ago.

Cycling is very sustainable sport. I wanted to design a cyclingshoe that reflected that. I tried to use no glue and minimize the amount of parts needed. The upper is woven on the tooling and the closure system consists of just two pieces (no velcro).
All lines have a purpose and all styling is considered…

hi

This mini project took 45min in my lunch break yesterday .

provided adjustment in cleat design for natural arch & ankle posture + carbon fiber base + soft padding …
1HDC_ADD.jpg

The design I picked features a pull string to tighten the shoe, in hopes it would make it easier to get on and off. Triathlon shoes have a loop on the heel, and I think any biker could benefit from that too.

This minimilistic/lightweight concept is an extrapolation of the “toe clip”. The rear of the Carbon fiber sole is a hemisphere which provides arch support. From the top view the Carbon fiber toe protection mimics the climbs in the Alps and Pyrenees.

This concept has a carbon sole that wraps over both the heel and toe with an expanded heel bumper to make the walk up to the podium more comfortable.

I know this is was supposed to be a tour theme challenge, but in lew of the new cycling event taking place at the 2008 Beijing Summer Games I decided to shift the Paradigm of the challenge a bit…

That’s my cycling shoes’ design. The design was based in traditional shapes and the innovation is the combination of materials and textures.

How did I managed my 1 hour project?
2/6 hour – Brainstorm and sketches
1/6 hour – Photoshop’s masks and drawing lines
3/6 hour – Colors, textures, shadows and highlights

I drew inspiration from both cycling shoes and sprinter’s track spikes. Support is a crucial aspect for a cycling shoe, not only for the foot but also to allow every last ounce of energy to get transfered into the pedal instead of the sole flexing. I was also inspired by the new FlyFit technology that Nike is using in their Hyperdunk basketball shoes.

Both of the designs incorporate the FlyFit material and tech since it is great solution for reducing weight (road racers’ enemy) while still providing a supportive fit for those long rides. By adding it to a mesh upper it provides the wearer’s foot stability while still allowing breathability. The sole plate is a rigid molded piece with ribs that help to strengthen it under vertical forces during pedaling allowing the rider to minimize energy lost from a felxible sole.

In general i didn’t feel there was much scope for improvement in current cycling shoes, so i decided to look at a more specific shoe - for triathlon cycling. During the transition from the swim to the cycle, athletes waste valuable time getting their foot in the shoe, then tightening the straps. This design aims to reduce or eliminate these actions.

sorry for multiple post…first time; and first time pretending to be a designer.

(“keep your day job, till your night job pays”)

-eric

The main goal in my design is to optimize the strength-to-weight ratio of the shoe for the road racer. The main features are as follows:

– Nike’s Flywire technology is used in new ways to provide a lightweight yet strong support system in the upper.
– The new Flywire strap system offers superior lockdown, and an integrated heel strap allows for customizable heel fit and lockdown.
– The elliptical pattern of the new Flywire “web” structure provides increased sidewall coverage with less fibers.
– The perforated Flywire panel optimizes ventilation & breathability while riding and also helps in the weight reduction of the shoe.
– A microsuede lining and padded collar add comfort without compromising weight.
– A carbon fiber sole provides excellent stiffness-to-weight ratio for power transfer.

Design breakdown:
– Quick sketches (pen/sharpie/prismacolor 30% grey) = 10 minutes
– Illustrator with quick dodge/burn in Photoshop = 50 minutes

I designed a race shoe with neoprene so it could be slipped on while giving the skin tight comfort that neoprene provides. I applied support to the heel and toe then used a large Velcro strap on the top of the foot for support.

The design process for me on this project started with 3 small thumbnail size sketches, and then I chose the strongest of the 3 sketches. I made a larger sketch and refined the design, and made 2 final sketches to show the side in more detail and the function of the Velcro strap. I spent the rest of the hour rendering in photoshop

The design of this cycling shoe is aimed at the athlete who is not a professional, but is also not just the weekend-warrior. They are the true cycling enthusiast and do it because they simply love to do it. This is the type of man/woman who rides to and from work, rides to campus, rides into the city,etc…basically whenever they can ride, they do. Thus, this concept seeks to eliminate the hassle of changing their footwear, without sacrificing performance or fit.

The design consists of two components that work together to create the ultimate footwear for this targeted user:

MESH SLIP-ON:
–simple, clean design for performance and casual use
–made of lightweight, breathable open mesh
–washable, so that odor and perspiration can be easily removed
–heel and tongue pull-tabs for easy entry & removal
–embossed “fit key” on forefoot allows a snug fit within the chassis and also allows user to “visualize” fit
–functional tread pattern locks into corresponding grooves located on chassis footbed

CARBON FIBER CHASSIS
–made of carbon fiber
–simple ratchet closure system
–forefoot cutout allows embossed “fit key” insertion, and weight minimization as well as breathability
–when removed from feet, they can simply clip to any backpack/bag or can be easily stored elsewhere

THE BIGGER PICTURE
–looking from a larger perspective, this product has a lot of potential in some key areas. Featuring two separate components like this brings the possibility of mass customization to the consumer, allowing them to mix and match items and put their own “spin” on their product. More importantly, this modular design in a sense also hits upon sustainability. By allowing components to be bought separate from one another, large amounts of material waste can be eliminated in the long run.

::55 minutes. Ballpoint sketch, photoshop.
1HDC.jpg