1HDC 08.05 - Vive le Tour Submission Forum

Hi,

this is actually the first time I post some work here on core. The idea was to have one shoe for each jersey (yellow=allround shoe, white=entry level allround, polkadot= super light for climbers and green=power shoe for sprinters/really stiff).

But there wasn’t time so it’s just the yellow one.

Actually, this is the first proper thing I’ve done in painter after having changed from Sketchbook. I miss SB’s interface, but love the fact that I can spin the canvas to every angel I want without getting the fuzzy lines you get when you do this in SB.

My first shoe in a while, not quite done but I was definitely pushing an hour.
core-jambo.png

For anyone going the “carbon spaceship” looking shoe route, I think you should see the website below. The shoe isn’t a prototype, or a concept shoe… it’s being made, bought and sold, and it looks fast as can be.
Just as a reference for folks who aren’t up to date on the latest cycling shoes.

not sure how to make a direct comment to one of the existing comments above, but this is to Amarsh04. I like your idea and the sketch is super clean, but the concept may be a bit shortsighted. Riders already have booties they put over their shoes which are removable, for a reason. I’m not sure if you ride/race much but an 80mile ride may start out raining or windy/cold and by hour 3 its hot and sunny, you won’t want the entire wet and cold shoe booty flapping, unzipped, from your ankles for the remainder of the ride. Maybe if you could improve the integration of the booty & shoe itself, instead of having to use an entire “sock” that covers the whole shoe something smaller and more compact could be used. I dunno, that’s just what came to mind when I saw your idea…

doodling,… it’s a hell of a drug.

Knowing not much about cycling shoes nor ever worn one…

I had to guess the needs.

I focused on airflow and weight and comfort.

The front toes and the soles are rigid and light carbon fiber. both protecting the toes and giving rigidness to deliver power directly to the pedals.

The middle botton portion will be made from molded plastic to give flexibility.

Rest of the shoe will be made from Poly& PVC mesh giving airflow and tight support for the whole feet.

That shot of the Bont shoe looks pretty hot, but it’s computer generated. Their shoes don’t look that hot in real life.

Pretty run of the mill actually.

I am new to road biking(about a month) but have been mountain biking for awhile. Your comments make sense and I would reconsider my design now. My understanding was that the removable booties were primarily to reduce wind resistance and possibly act like “under armor”. I assumed there was a reason they haven’t done it already but I sketched it anyway. Thanks for the input zwindustrial .

This is how I would picture the futuristic racing shoe.

So far, most of the submissions seem to focus on looks alone, but weight is also a huge factor…

The Bont shoes might not be as flashy in that picture, but also note that they only weigh 250 grams. They are not, however, the lightest shoes out there.

Rocket7 has some kicks that come in at 170 grams which is pretty damn light.

Specialized also has a pair that is only 250g with a mechanical closure system which many riders prefer over Velcro…
http://www.ajssportinggoods.com/lifesports/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Specialized+BG+S-Works+Road+Bike+Shoe&pf_id=SP_610800&dept_id=18015

I’m just putting these examples out there so people know what’s already in the market. Most of the submissions look really good though. Cycling shoes is a big game of materials which can be hard to show through 1-hour sketches for sure…

My concept is based on one shoe for a Tri-athlete. After the biking portion of the race the athlete would fold the front tread over the toe clip when they would begin their run. This eliminates the need for a separate biking and running shoe by combining the most important aspect of the biking shoe, the toe clip built into a running shoe.
shoe2-1.jpg

This slip on is aimed at a less extreme–but more typical cyclist. A commuter that does not want to lug around an extra pair of shoes while riding. The inspiration came from a pair of Patagonia shoes I saw in an outdoors store almost 6 months ago.

Cycling is very sustainable sport. I wanted to design a cyclingshoe that reflected that. I tried to use no glue and minimize the amount of parts needed. The upper is woven on the tooling and the closure system consists of just two pieces (no velcro).
All lines have a purpose and all styling is considered…

hi

This mini project took 45min in my lunch break yesterday .

provided adjustment in cleat design for natural arch & ankle posture + carbon fiber base + soft padding …
1HDC_ADD.jpg

The design I picked features a pull string to tighten the shoe, in hopes it would make it easier to get on and off. Triathlon shoes have a loop on the heel, and I think any biker could benefit from that too.

This minimilistic/lightweight concept is an extrapolation of the “toe clip”. The rear of the Carbon fiber sole is a hemisphere which provides arch support. From the top view the Carbon fiber toe protection mimics the climbs in the Alps and Pyrenees.

This concept has a carbon sole that wraps over both the heel and toe with an expanded heel bumper to make the walk up to the podium more comfortable.

I know this is was supposed to be a tour theme challenge, but in lew of the new cycling event taking place at the 2008 Beijing Summer Games I decided to shift the Paradigm of the challenge a bit…

That’s my cycling shoes’ design. The design was based in traditional shapes and the innovation is the combination of materials and textures.

How did I managed my 1 hour project?
2/6 hour – Brainstorm and sketches
1/6 hour – Photoshop’s masks and drawing lines
3/6 hour – Colors, textures, shadows and highlights

I drew inspiration from both cycling shoes and sprinter’s track spikes. Support is a crucial aspect for a cycling shoe, not only for the foot but also to allow every last ounce of energy to get transfered into the pedal instead of the sole flexing. I was also inspired by the new FlyFit technology that Nike is using in their Hyperdunk basketball shoes.

Both of the designs incorporate the FlyFit material and tech since it is great solution for reducing weight (road racers’ enemy) while still providing a supportive fit for those long rides. By adding it to a mesh upper it provides the wearer’s foot stability while still allowing breathability. The sole plate is a rigid molded piece with ribs that help to strengthen it under vertical forces during pedaling allowing the rider to minimize energy lost from a felxible sole.