Big back button on firefox 3...

for those who have upgraded to Firefox 3 you will notice there is a now a big back button. I think this is a great addition…good Fitts too, and how often to you hit the forward button compared to the back button?..so its only right it should be bigger.

Looks like some folks want to keep it small though.

I just hit backspace instead. All about the shortcuts.

thats all well in good but you have to move your hand there and back as the backspace key sits nearly central between your hands using a full sized keyboard and mouse.

Right, I have all of my fox navigation on my logitech mouse buttons. It might help my wife though.

I agree the new version is better…

I have to say though, I HATE that backspace key shortcut that steps you back a page… it seems like when Im filling in web forms, it backs up sometimes when I backspace in my text and sometimes loses all the text I’ve filled in. Its completely ridiculous that it would do that…

I like the look of it myself. And I also hate the Backspace button when typing in forms. Have you noticed that you can re-open mistakenly closed tabs now? Under History theres a Recently Closed Tabs menu. Pretty handy.

And you can have Yahoo as your “mailto” client instead of Outlook, or Thunderbird.

In the beta (in the mac version anyway) the big back button was grey with a triangle instead of a “<” like in the screencap. I thought it looked like a backwards “play” button from itunes. It felt weird clicking it… press play to go back? glad they changed it.

What if you made every button grow or shrink depending on the number of times you hit it, like a kind of self adjusting software interface.

I can’t LIVE without the forward/back buttons on my mouse.

In the beta (in the mac version anyway) the big back button was grey with a triangle instead of a “<” like in the screencap. I thought it looked like a backwards “play” button from itunes. It felt weird clicking it… press play to go back? glad they changed it.

Thats the way it still looks on the version I just downloaded. Its awkward.

The best back button is a mouse gesture: right click and swoop to the left.
They should make that a default rather than a plug-in.

Cmnd-t for new tab. Cmnd-shift-t opens closed tabs sequentially. The best part about it is that when you re-open the tab, it still has it’s old history intact! It’s been like that for a while, I’m still on version 2.