Close

Re: Non-design activities/obsessions

Postby CRVaughan » November 23rd, 2016, 12:52 pm

CRVaughan
step two
step two

Looking good! I bet that would make some great english muffins :)

My favorite bread recipe comes from the NY Times, because it's super simple and easy to make over the course of a couple days. And, no kneading!

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

Postby CRVaughan » November 23rd, 2016, 1:02 pm

CRVaughan
step two
step two

Azrehan wrote:Haha. I live in the Adelaide Hills in Australia and there are about 15 large radiata pines on our property so we get literally hundreds of pine mushrooms (saffron milk caps) every winter. We have a very limited amount of porcini in the Adelaide Hills too and I went looking for them in winter without any luck. Mushrooms are great.

The sourdough starter is kicking along nicely but I need a free weekend to do some baking. My combo cooker arrives in a few weeks... Exciting.

That's great! Here's an L deliciosus find from earlier this year. Excuse the dirty hands, I wasn't actually foraging, but found this guy after a long day of rock climbing. I'm sure your specimens are probably larger, but I was still excited to find this little guy :)

I love their bright color! And also their flavor :lol:

Ldelici.JPG

Postby singletrack » November 23rd, 2016, 2:32 pm

singletrack
step three
step three

Since people brought up kids I also have one of those to. Pretty crazy how kids change your view on life. He is 3 and it is so much fun doing activities with the family. We got a two person kayak recently and it has been great fun piling into the kayak and going out for cruise around the bay.

Postby Azrehan » November 23rd, 2016, 5:02 pm

Azrehan
step four
step four

CRVaughan wrote:
Azrehan wrote:Haha. I live in the Adelaide Hills in Australia and there are about 15 large radiata pines on our property so we get literally hundreds of pine mushrooms (saffron milk caps) every winter. We have a very limited amount of porcini in the Adelaide Hills too and I went looking for them in winter without any luck. Mushrooms are great.

The sourdough starter is kicking along nicely but I need a free weekend to do some baking. My combo cooker arrives in a few weeks... Exciting.

That's great! Here's an L deliciosus find from earlier this year. Excuse the dirty hands, I wasn't actually foraging, but found this guy after a long day of rock climbing. I'm sure your specimens are probably larger, but I was still excited to find this little guy :)

I love their bright color! And also their flavor :lol:

Ldelici.JPG

Ooh. That's a nice one. Perfect size.

We get all sizes from tiny pins to the size of a side plate. They obviously start small and grow to the plate size.

My favorite recipe with these is a carbonara linguine. Get some of these, sautee with onions, fresh sage and garlic, add bacon, then cream and serve on the linguine with some grated parmesan or pecorino on top.

Postby Azrehan » December 5th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Azrehan
step four
step four

This sourdough hobby is paying off.

http://imgur.com/a/riNS8

http://imgur.com/a/PFNzH

I might even quit design and become a baker. Working with dough is much more enjoyable than designing sheet metal patterns for workstation screen mounting brackets. Maybe even more lucrative. :lol:

8) Vote for my Core77 artisan home baker gift guide: 8)

http://www.core77.com/ultimategiftguide/58596/The-artisan-home-baker#gift=1

Postby KenoLeon » December 5th, 2016, 8:44 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Azrehan wrote:This sourdough hobby is paying off.

You might be on to something:

A friend started out baking bread on the side as a hobby, he had a tiny cart on one of the local coffeeshops couple of times a week and he always sold out, (people were literally scalping loaves which I found hilarious) that same coffee shop later hired him to oversee pastry production for their 3 shops, so now he's in charge of baking thousands of delicious pastries.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby iab » October 26th, 2017, 8:15 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Ooooo... I like this thread.

How's the bread thing coming along? Anyone do the NYC marathon? Any good fungi?

This February I'm going to Milan for a long weekend. There is a vintage bike swap and I will be doing a cycling city tour of Milan to see the shops of the 5 masters - Colnago, Poliaghi, De Rosa, Cinelli and Masi. The Masi shop is at the Vigorello velodrome, another must see. I'll also probably stop at the Detto Pietro shop and get some new kicks. And finally a short ride from Como, along the lake to Bellagio, a climb up to the Madonna Del Ghisallo and back to Como via Erba.

Postby AVClub » October 26th, 2017, 8:19 am

AVClub
step three
step three

I've been thinking about this alot lately and most recently its resulted in playing more music and right now I am working on building a guitar pedal. Last night I began populating the PCB, its been very fun and relaxing! Also made me realize I need to brush up on my soldering skills.

Postby cwatkinson » October 26th, 2017, 8:50 am

cwatkinson

So mine is till the wood working and interior redesign. Over the winter i am going to design a deck for the house with a built in cooking area (grill sink, fridge, work surface) - the goal is to build it come spring thaw. (if i can afford my own design)

Postby jon_winebrenner » October 27th, 2017, 10:56 am

jon_winebrenner

iab wrote:Sweet!

The large crowd is something I never would have expected. I always assume other people's silly hobbies are like mine where it draws a few dozen people only.

Please note, the vintage bike thing is small in the US. Italy has an event with 6-7K people riding old bikes. France and Belgium would be the next in line for enthusiasts, but it drops off pretty quickly at that point.

If you haven't seen "Le Ride" it is a fun show. Nothing deep or heady, but fun. And it has the vintage bike angle to it as well.

Postby iab » October 27th, 2017, 12:06 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

jon_winebrenner wrote:
If you haven't seen "Le Ride" it is a fun show. Nothing deep or heady, but fun. And it has the vintage bike angle to it as well.

Thanks for posting. Yes, I did see the movie. If it interests you, the book Gironimo by Tim Moore chronicles his retracing of the 1914 Giro which had 81 starters and 8 people who finished.

An interesting exercise but the roads back in the day were largely unpaved. Especially pretty much every mountain pass. 4000-6000 meters of climbing on rough gravel is not the same as a paved roads. The descents are even worse.

Previous

Return to off topic