iab wrote:Just my .02, but I wouldn't pursue any additional education unless you have a clear objective.
- This has been my general thought since I haven't had anything specific I would want to study
iab wrote:If you are interested in the business end of new product development, an MBA may be useful, especially if you are interested in M&As or directing business strategy.
Same can be said with any additional education, MFA, whatever. Don't do it just to do it. Unless of course you like it as a hobby. I know a couple of folks like that.
- I've always had an interest in betting an MBA at some point. I've looked into programs that combine and MBA & MID, but again, see the point above.
- When things are all said and done, I want to be knowledgeable enough and skillful enough create the best design solution possible while not wasting someone's time or money. Eventually I would like to be in a position such as a Design Director or Creative Director where I can help lead but not necessarily be doing all of the "grunt" work.
- I have always enjoyed the idea of Branding and how it applies to the design of products and architecture. I am a person who typically likes to look over the high level view of items to see things as a whole instead of individual parts.
iab wrote:As for the license, I can't say, but if it is low-hanging fruit for a better ROI than the other education, it makes more sense to me.
- The license is definitely low hanging fruit for me. It's more a matter of time investment than anything else. Cost wise I'm looking at around $1500 which in the grand scheme of things is nothing. I could potentially boost my pay by 20k-30k in two years time if I get licensed. Again, this just comes down to time investment and whether or not I want to invest that time into switching career paths
iab wrote:With so many new avenues for funding, have you thought about any entrepreneurial opportunities while doing your day job? Nothing like being in control to make you happy.
- I have really considered this option for a couple of different ideas. I would love to launch a small furniture line and see if I could get a few pieces to take off in order to launch my own larger line of furniture. This is where I would need another person with connections to the manufacturing world to help out.