Postby bambims » June 23rd, 2016, 1:22 pm

bambims

I use Sennheiser HD 219

Re: What headphones do you use?

Postby Jaded » June 24th, 2016, 7:20 am

Jaded
step two
step two

I love my 7506's, but as I mentioned I had a hankering for a different set. I was fortunate enough to be gifted a sample pair of Audio Technica ath-msr7 headphones. I was given the brown ones, not black. But hey, they were free, and the brown is growing on me! :D

They do sound fantastic, and are very comfortable. I don't know that they are radically better than my 7506's (for the price difference), but for now they are the shiny new car in the garage.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/38ef8b91d4f4d4f6/index.html

Postby Jboogie941 » July 26th, 2016, 3:12 pm

Jboogie941
step four
step four

Just copped a pair of Bose Soundlink on ear wireless headphones. I considered the noise cancelling over the ear model but the noise cancelling feature creates a pressure on my ears I dont care for personally. Plus I like to wear light headphones at the gym. So far pretty impressed with the sound, case, quality, weight, comfort and battery life. I have been listening to music all day at work and the battery is still at 100%. One phone call came in while using the headphones, it announced an incoming call plus the caller. Clarity was impressive even stepping outside the office 50 yds away. Two thumbs from me.

http://headphones.specout.com/compare/1 ... ink-On-ear

Postby AVClub » July 27th, 2016, 7:34 am

AVClub
step two
step two

These look great! Any recommendations in the $150 range?

yo wrote:I obviously listen to a lot of different headphones....
Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 5.20.05 PM.png

But right now I'm using these Definitive Technology Symphony 1's. Here is why.

- 50mm driver. Most headphones just use 40mm
- Bluetooth
- Active Noise Canceling using a sophisticate mic array
- USB connection with onboard DAC tuned specifically for these drivers
- Voiced by the guy who voices our $5,000 speakers and started the masters of acoustics program at Johns Hopkins
- Aluminum construction and soft leather with memory foam pads

They are good stuff:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/symphony

I'm biased of course :-)

Postby Sketchbook2 » July 27th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Sketchbook2

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Headphone-Gold-Plated-Accessories/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469638533&sr=8-1&keywords=monoprice+headphone

$20 mono price headphones. These things have a bit of a following due to their crazy sound to price ratio. They lean towards being a little base heavy without sounding muffled like beats sometimes do. The detachable cable + ability to fold on 3 axis has saved them from countless accidents.
Attachments
41HLwjRxwYL.jpg
41HLwjRxwYL.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

Postby yo » July 27th, 2016, 6:23 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

It kills me when I see designers buy open tool products. Wag of the finger dude.

Postby yo » July 27th, 2016, 6:31 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

AVClub wrote:
yo wrote:I obviously listen to a lot of different headphones....
The attachment Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 5.20.05 PM.png is no longer available

But right now I'm using these Definitive Technology Symphony 1's. Here is why.

- 50mm driver. Most headphones just use 40mm
- Bluetooth
- Active Noise Canceling using a sophisticate mic array
- USB connection with onboard DAC tuned specifically for these drivers
- Voiced by the guy who voices our $5,000 speakers and started the masters of acoustics program at Johns Hopkins
- Aluminum construction and soft leather with memory foam pads

They are good stuff:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/symphony

I'm biased of course :-)

These look great! Any recommendations in the $150 range?

For a better price option, I use our BOOM Rogues. One of the nice things here is they ship with an optional coiled DJ style cable so you don't yank your laptop off your desk:

http://www.polkaudio.com/rogue/d/1240

1240_black_l.jpg
1240_black_l.jpg (59.17 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

A little bit better sound, $150, but on ears: http://www.polkaudio.com/hinge/d/1044
Attachments
1044_brown_b.jpg
1044_brown_b.jpg (49.92 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

Postby slippyfish » July 28th, 2016, 12:03 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

yo wrote:It kills me when I see designers buy open tool products. Wag of the finger dude.

+1
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby KenoLeon » July 29th, 2016, 10:26 pm

KenoLeon
step four
step four

yo wrote:It kills me when I see designers buy open tool products. Wag of the finger dude.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this open tool business about and why is it bad ?
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"We are surrounded with objects of desire, not objects of use.” Don Norman

Postby Jboogie941 » July 30th, 2016, 10:27 pm

Jboogie941
step four
step four

KenoLeon wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this open tool business about and why is it bad ?

Keno,

Open tooling is an existing product mold that can be utilized by any person/company that wants to simply slap there logo or license name on it. It is not actually designed really except for slight modifications that might be done to alter the tool/product from another being sold. For example: if you wanted to sell sunglasses but don't have the time to design them, you can find a manufacturer who probably has several generic tooling styles available for very low price. Thus eliminating the cost involved in creating "new" tooling as well as the need for design (your job).

Postby KenoLeon » July 31st, 2016, 1:15 pm

KenoLeon
step four
step four

Thanks Jboogie for the explanation:

My first reaction was bad indeed, and let's wag the finger vigorously, but upon further inspection, I think things are not as simple , this is what's bothering me :

- If you shift the blame to the consumer, aren't you basically penalizing him for being poor ( and demanding he is educated) : These headphones sound great,cost less but you shouldn't buy them because some designer or factory got paid to build ( or reuse) an open tool that will be shared among different brands ? So you ( the designer/consumer ) need to save up for another couple of months or go for an inferior product to compensate for the existence of different business models ? It just doesn't make sense, it seems very last recourse.

- I understand that designing and building the molds and tooling for ones designs is part of the job, the relationship to my pay is less clear. In my view it is the coming up with new and tailored solutions that I get paid for. ( it says it there in my contract: designer fees) , the deliverable: Cad files, tech packs, drawings, tooling etc,etc belongs to the client and change both in scope and time... ( create a beautiful headphone vs create a cheap headphone).
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"We are surrounded with objects of desire, not objects of use.” Don Norman

Postby Jboogie941 » August 1st, 2016, 8:24 am

Jboogie941
step four
step four

Keno,

Its okay to have your own opinion. I myself believe that supporting properly designed products adds value and respect to my profession. This type of business model can actually be applied across the board with all consumer goods/services. In the food industry, small farms and gmo free products made an impact because consumer demanded healthy quality over poor quantity and are now respected by big business.

Here is a quote from an article you might find interesting. "Creative professionals in general are some of the most ripped-off service providers in the world, in large part because of the misinformed mentality that our clients have about what our work is worth. I firmly believe that all designers should charge exactly what they’re worth and nothing less, not to cheat the client, but to legitimize the industry." https://speckyboy.com/2015/07/19/dont-b ... -designer/

Postby slippyfish » August 1st, 2016, 7:31 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

Jboogie941 wrote:
KenoLeon wrote:

Keno,

Open tooling is an existing product mold that can be utilized by any person/company that wants to simply slap there logo or license name on it. It is not actually designed really except for slight modifications that might be done to alter the tool/product from another being sold. For example: if you wanted to sell sunglasses but don't have the time to design them, you can find a manufacturer who probably has several generic tooling styles available for very low price. Thus eliminating the cost involved in creating "new" tooling as well as the need for design (your job).

Happens in the carbon fiber bike industry quite a bit as well. I'm not talking about knock-offs (which are also rampant and can be very dangerous), but "open-mold" bike frames which are designed and engineered by the factory staff, and sold to brands needing to get to market quickly. The quality of some of the produced frames can be very high, and are even favored by big US brands needing to fill a category. The Ibis Hakkalugi and Silk Road frames for example were open-mold products, built to Ibis' engineering spec.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby yo » August 1st, 2016, 10:25 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

There are all kinds of levels of this, but the Mono stuff is straight off the shelf. Keno, let me try to make an analogy to the world you are in more frequently. Someone wants to launch a new site, instead of designing it and coding it, or even buying a nice template (Slippyfish's example) they just crack open their competitor's site, take the code, swap the logos and hit publish.... this probably happens. In the case of open tool hardware often the R&D costs have been paid, the product might be for sale under a different brand name in a different region even.

Are the Mono products good? They sound better the $20, but they don't sound better than $50. They have created a business model that eliminates the need to pay for hardware design, tooling, retailers, or distributers. They have literally the intrinsic value of the product plus a little profit.... a cost+ model.

There are other reasons to go open tool as well, as Slippyfish mentioned. It might be speed to market, or filling a hole in the product portfolio. NPD resources might be tight. So why do I wag the finger at designers who buy product like this? I'll go to another analogy. For me it is a bit like you get all of these great chefs together in a city, lets say Paris. And they each get to go to whatever restaurant they want.... and one chef goes to McDonalds and gets a BigMac because he got the most beef per Euro.

OK, this got way OT, I'm sorry to the poster who made the comment about the Mono, this isn't about audio, it is about supporting good design with every dollar I spend. Do I have some Ikea stuff? Sure. I'm not made of money, but when I do buy something inexpensive I want to make sure the company supports design.

Postby Himlar » August 8th, 2016, 11:59 pm

Himlar

After having killed off my old headphones, I almost constantly use my Bowers&Wilkins C5s. Great replacement for the iPhone "plugs", the only thing I don't like about them is they are fairly discreet: in my experience, colorful headphones are great for having people realising why you might not hear them when walking around town ...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 1097 times

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to off topic