Close

Re: Kanye West - Adidas Fashion collaboration.

Postby iab » June 26th, 2015, 2:37 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

IDiot wrote:Sorry guys, I just don't understand what is to hate about the guy.

Quite simple.

He doesn't understand that apples and oranges are not the same. He doesn't understand he is not God. His perspective is not the only perspective. His opinion is not the only opinion. His emotions are not everyone's emotions.

His comments about Beck are more than enough validation.

Postby IDiot » June 26th, 2015, 3:01 pm

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization

I feel like that is just false, yes, he stands by his opinions and certainly isn't afraid to express them, but he admits at every turn they are only his opinions.
Have you actually read or listened to full in-depth interviews with him, I feel like most people hate him from the headlines or the outburst and then have no patience for listening to where he's actually coming from.

As per comments on Beck, I certainly couldn't believe he wasn't more familiar with Beck's work prior to the whole incident, that alone made him lose some points in my book, but then all this happens. I feel like he's my drunk cousin, his hearts in a good place, but he certainly f#%$ up sometimes, but he's never shy about admitting it either, just makes him more human to me really.
http://www.etonline.com/news/166766_kanye_west_calls_beck_a_gentleman_and_sends_him_flowers/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/23/kanye-west-beck_n_7645002.html

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

This morning I got word that a chap I know got into an internship with a big shoe company, he's a rapper, loves Kanye and fashion, I believe his sketching instrument of choice is the spray can.

I am inclined to believe that the effect of the average rapper or sports mogul on fashion and design is mostly beneficial (Inspirational if you will) and I believe the animosity comes from the perceived exchange of money and recognition for paying ones dues and working in the industry, (he can't sketch, he's buying his way in). His character just provides a convenient lighting rod of sorts since you would have to walk in his shoes to know where he's coming from and qualify the statement.

It is still very amusing in this particular case since Anna Wintour and Kanye represent two wildly different artistic sensibilities and backgrounds, the media in particular is having the hardest time figuring out how to react, should they attack, defend or adapt, most believe ( wrongly) that they set the fashion trends, and now that this has been rammed up their usually stuffy noses they are having an about face moment, I am getting more popcorn :P

Or to put it another way (One of my favorite quotes) :

" Great and good are seldom the same man."
Winston Churchill
Last edited by KenoLeon on June 27th, 2015, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

rkuchinsky

If you can't do, teach. If you can't teach be a"producer".

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

rkuchinsky wrote:If you can't do, teach. If you can't teach be a"producer".

I would add some icons to denote the compensation and recognition the powers that be have come up with :

If you can't do ( $-$$, + ), teach ( $, - ) . If you can't teach be a"producer" ($$$$$$$$$$, ++++++++++!!!!) .

Wait a minute :!
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby iab » June 29th, 2015, 8:14 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

IDiot wrote:As per comments on Beck

From your link, I quote his "apology",

and I think I had a point about Beyoncé's album,

When someone doesn't admit they are wrong, it is not an apology. Of course an egomaniac would not have that perspective.

The man is a tool.

You seem unable to separate the art for the artist. They are 2 distinct things.

Postby IDiot » June 29th, 2015, 9:17 am

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization

IDiot wrote: I just don't understand what is to hate about the guy.

No, I get it, that's just how I feel personally when I look at everything in total.
I understand how some can hate and dislike and dismiss, it's just not been where I fall.

I , personally, can excuse certain behaviors and statements for great art /great outputs, but we are all different and that is not where many people fall. I certainly have a few friends who are by many accounts assholes at certain times and in certain situations, but they are also some of the more intelligent people I know, and for whatever reason I am willing to grant them more liberties with social graces due to the value they can add in other ways.

iab wrote:You seem unable to separate the art for the artist. They are 2 distinct things.

I think you are correct that I have a hard time making the separation, but I would also say that is partially because in many of the artists I appreciate, I don't see a distinct separation between the two.

Postby iab » June 29th, 2015, 11:55 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

IDiot wrote: I don't see a distinct separation between the two.

I'll bet a dollar North winds up resenting her parents.

People consumed with their art have little time for else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/opini ... eople.html

Previous

Return to off topic