Chrysler Corp Superbowl Ads

Really?

They got Bob Dylan to head that jingoist campaign, which shallowly betrays the global roots
of the new Chrysler product programme? Clear proof that too much pot is bad for your brain…

When they showed the “Autobahn” sign I thought they’d give it an ironic break, but no way
just humming along this “American work force” rhyme, together with an imagery that Riefenstahl
could have done only a little better.

Just replace every “america” and “american” in that jingle with “German” or “Korean” and
you’ll see what it really is: FASCIST propaganda.

And this sits well in line with the unbearable RAM ad of last year. So now we have everything
in place for a new “blut und boden” (blood and soil) policy, that devalues the individual to a slaving
ant who serves a higher (god given) purpose willfully and joyfully, putting in 100 week hours
with mercy and grace.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Ram%20Superbowl%20ad&sm=3

Sorry I am already throwing up again.

Is this the same America that saved the old continent in 1945, tought and enlightened the world
about freedom and civil rights?

Is all lost, already? Do Chrysler Bosses really see the need to wash anything Fiat off the Chrysler 200 with
these muddy waters. Do they really believe “the people” aka customers not to see through this?

Instead they could have played the strengths of the new Detroit - Turin axis. The interconnection between
America and Europe. “Imagine” They didn’t.

Marchionne is a cynic.

mo-i

Chrysler wasn’t the only commercial pushing American manufacturing, Weathertech had a spot too. In the ad investors tell them they can’t make a profitable factory in America and they do.

With the current economic and job situation in the States, “Made in America” is starting to become a marketing focus and carry some weight. Case in point look at this kickstarter project that overachieved its goal by 500%.

I think we’re going to start seeing more campaigns like this.

Quite frankly, I didn’t need another reason not to buy a Chrysler.

Personally, I enjoy the irony the ad creates by building that judeo-chrisitian work ethic yet completely ignoring pride is a cardinal sin.

Not the ones who are now boycotting Coke.

Looking at the American demographic who typically buys Chrysler’s (present company excluded since I just bought my wife a Fiat-based Jeep) the good old “America, f*** yeah!” mentality does still appeal.

Lowest common denominator advertising.

It’s not that bad an ad. If you want to sell ‘America’ you’ve got to make ‘America’ look good, except for beer and watches and phones.

I saw that shitstorm

Bob Dylan likes making ads though:The commercial crooner: Bob Dylan's greatest marketing hits | Bob Dylan | The Guardian

Interesting opinions piece on the commercial, and why it’s disturbing.

“Is there anything more American than America?”
I was hoping that they would find something that was.

The protectionism angle is interesting.

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

Thank you all for calming my anger of yesterday.

You made me realize, that this Chrysler 200 superbowl ad
didn’t go down so well with the american audience, too.

Especially the “Is there anything more American than America!” bit
is just mind boggling.

And to clarify one thing: I am all for local manufacturing in a global
economy, fair wages included. The protection or resurrection of the
middle class is a challenge for all westerners of our generation, but
the shallow pride that Chrysler FIAT is touting does something very
different.: Driving working class men apart who should join together
as the finance markets behind the FIAT Chrysler merger already did.
Pointing out pride as a cardinal sin really made my day. Special thanks
for that. I can’t think of any religion not marking unfounded pride as
sin or something like it.

I am so disgusted by Dylan that I feel almost relieved not having to
see Lennon or Morrison in his spot.

mo-i

A side not towards the Coke SuperBowl #fuckcoke discussion:

Why can’t we just go back to this? Obviously I am already
a sentimental fool living in a past I wasn’t even born into.

“I’d like to buy the world a coke” was 1971.
Some 2 years before I came along…

mo-i

I see an older guy, past his prime, dyed fluffed thinned hair, in a suit that doesn’t fit him, in a voice that is a shadow of its former self, weakly strutting through obviously staged settings surrounded by paid accompaniment. Everything old, the disappointed senile guy in the diner shaking his head sums it all up. An instagrammed pastiche painted over a dead urban center.

It and the fadedness of it all makes me sad.

Why can’t we just go back to this? Obviously I am already
a sentimental fool living in a past I wasn’t even born into.

Are you unaware of the adverse reaction to the 2014 CocaCola SuperBowl advertisement?

But keep in mind the “politics” of the early 70s; Viet Nam was still raging for America and her allies, the Soviet Union was an imminent threat (in the US administration’s mind), China was rising… Believe me, no one wanted more than the people of the United States for the war to be over and for peace to return.

Apparently we are becoming so factionalized that we can’t appreciate, or tolerate, the diverse roots of our strength. Ironic that the tune for United States national anthem, “The Star Spangled Banner” was adapted from an old English drinking song, while “America the Beautiful” was an original American composition circa 1882.

Want more irony to add to the insanity of the racial and intolerant tirades? America the Beautiful was written by a poet who was a lesbian. The idiots “boycotting Coke” in the name of 'Murica, have no idea about the diverse background of the song they’re defending.

It was a beautiful commercial selling sugar water that’s helping to increase America’s obesity epidemic. Where’s the outrage there?

The coke thing is interesting, I don’t drink soda, not even artisianal hipster soda, though I do like ginger beer… that said, Coca-Cola makes lots of other products down to bottled water. If people didn’t want cola, they wouldn’t make it, but for some reason people seem to love it. To the commercial, I loved it. Even though I don’t buy the product, I thought it really captured the spirit of the concept of the US. My great grandparents came here on a boat, landed and were processed through Ellis Island, right after WWI. They did not speak English, they did not have money, they did not have skills. My grandfather and his older brother came over at 14 and 16 respectively. Got jobs on the rail road, saved up money, after a couple of years they wrote home and asked for a couple of neighbor girls to be sent over as wives. My great grandparents had 11 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment… Their kids all got better jobs, had 4-5 kids of their own. My parents got a little community college, a little night school, did well, had 2 kids, my brother and I both went away to college, have good jobs… not glamorous stuff, but I’m sure all of people in the US can trace their roots to something similar. I doubt this story is in any way unique. I’m guessing it is pretty common, and to deny other people seems inherently wrong to me personally… so I thought it was a great advert. Provoking a cultural conversation seems like a good strategy when you are selling a commodity product everyone already knows as a brand. You can only make so many lola bear commercials. To evoke love you have to evoke hate. While a minority of people said they would never drink Coke again (sure right) I’m sure a larger group quietly went out and bought one.

OK, back to the original post. The Chrysler commercial. Chrysler has had some pretty epic Super Bowl spots the last few years. From Eminem to Dr Dre, to Clint Eastwood… I can imagine the pressure to try to top all of that. On paper I’m sure this looked great, but it just falls flat for me. With this car, the original Eminem commercial would have been great. That would have been a statement.

Ironically one of the many reasons this car is such an improvement is that under the new Fiat ownership is is based on an Alfa Romeo sedan platform and has Italian proportions of larger wheels at the corners of the car allowing the designers to create a longer, lower, wider sexier profile. Hopefully it has some of the Alfa driving dynamics.

Just imagine the new car in this spot:

Yo,

thanks for taking the time on a sunday for your response and also sharing
some family history. Pretty sure most US - Citizens can trace back their
roots in a comparable manner.

While I am still here in old Europe we do have family in the US. There is
always someone, who decides to wander off to greener pastures. But those
guys and children are family, still.

So there is a strong connection from both sides, which makes it hard to
watch from the outside how the “mainstream” attitude within the US is
changing.

It might be an understandable backlash against a globilisation thats
gone wrong in its destribution of profits and hardships, nevertheless this lastest
Chrysler spot is just wrong on many levels. I wait for them to offer their apologies
at least to the american micro breweries…

mo-i

As a commercial: I think it’s not as good as the Clint Eastwood commercial.

As a music fan: So disappointed that Dylan is in this. Eastwood is an actor who lends his voice and image to all kinds of messages. Call me old fashion, but I feel that musicians represent what they sing about. I know Dylan sold out a long time ago, but this commercial was so shallow ugh…

As an expat: Yeah, it is a little propaganda-ish. I miss the “bring the world together” propaganda of past.

I think you nailed it, but the weight it carries isn’t necessarily positive, or healthy. The problem is that they’re selling hope and pride along with a product, but the reality is that low skill jobs that afford middle class wages and lifestyles ain’t coming back, they’re going to the folks in the Coke commercial.

The same generation (baby boomers) that’s schilling product on American pride and hope are the ones who’ve outsourced all the work, what a fucking joke.

I usually hang out on various tool blogs such as toolguyd and read the comments. It seems like for every new tool posted the country of origin is the first thing to come up. Every time. It’s is almost comical to see these guys openly say that they won’t even try this new thing based on COO, and then rave about any American made piece despite it looking like something from the early 1900. These guys are worse than hipsters in that regard,
So if COO matters so much on a $20 purchase, I think this Chrysler commercial will pay off.

Personally the commercial made me feel despair, not hope. Reminded of closing scenes of The Wire. Just imagine this being a Chrysler commercial (no major spoilers don’t worry)

PS. I found it funny they said “let Germany brew you beer” - I didn’t watch superbowl but I’m betting Bud/Miller/Coors were selling the “American” pretty intensely too as usual… and “Let Switzerland make your watch” - I wonder how many in the targeted demographic walk around with swiss made watches now? “Let Asia assemble your phone” - well that one is true at least.

Let alone a watch period. I guffawed at this one, they assume two things out of the audience on this one. 1.) The audience ignorantly thumbs their nose at sophisticated finely crafted accessories no matter their COO, unless it’s a Chrysler? 2.) The audience assumes nobody wears watches anymore, so outdated OMG those silly Swiss!

It insults my intelligence, verily.

For a non-US company…

If I were a German brewery or a Swiss watchmaker I would spoof this so hard.

“Let the Americans make your pissenwasser!”