Close

Re: Chrysler Corp Superbowl Ads

Postby Mr-914 » February 10th, 2014, 8:31 am

Mr-914

As a commercial: I think it's not as good as the Clint Eastwood commercial.

As a music fan: So disappointed that Dylan is in this. Eastwood is an actor who lends his voice and image to all kinds of messages. Call me old fashion, but I feel that musicians represent what they sing about. I know Dylan sold out a long time ago, but this commercial was so shallow ugh....

As an expat: Yeah, it is a little propaganda-ish. I miss the "bring the world together" propaganda of past.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby Greenman » February 10th, 2014, 11:09 am

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

noahwangerin wrote:With the current economic and job situation in the States, "Made in America" is starting to become a marketing focus and carry some weight. .

I think you nailed it, but the weight it carries isn't necessarily positive, or healthy. The problem is that they're selling hope and pride along with a product, but the reality is that low skill jobs that afford middle class wages and lifestyles ain't coming back, they're going to the folks in the Coke commercial.

The same generation (baby boomers) that's schilling product on American pride and hope are the ones who've outsourced all the work, what a fucking joke.
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

Postby engio » February 10th, 2014, 4:10 pm

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

I usually hang out on various tool blogs such as toolguyd and read the comments. It seems like for every new tool posted the country of origin is the first thing to come up. Every time. It's is almost comical to see these guys openly say that they won't even try this new thing based on COO, and then rave about any American made piece despite it looking like something from the early 1900. These guys are worse than hipsters in that regard,
So if COO matters so much on a $20 purchase, I think this Chrysler commercial will pay off.

Personally the commercial made me feel despair, not hope. Reminded of closing scenes of The Wire. Just imagine this being a Chrysler commercial (no major spoilers don't worry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO40ansNU8&t=2m18s

PS. I found it funny they said "let Germany brew you beer" - I didn't watch superbowl but I'm betting Bud/Miller/Coors were selling the "American" pretty intensely too as usual.. and "Let Switzerland make your watch" - I wonder how many in the targeted demographic walk around with swiss made watches now? "Let Asia assemble your phone" - well that one is true at least.

Postby Greenman » February 10th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

engio wrote: "Let Switzerland make your watch" - I wonder how many in the targeted demographic walk around with swiss made watches now?

Let alone a watch period. I guffawed at this one, they assume two things out of the audience on this one. 1.) The audience ignorantly thumbs their nose at sophisticated finely crafted accessories no matter their COO, unless it's a Chrysler? 2.) The audience assumes nobody wears watches anymore, so outdated OMG those silly Swiss!

It insults my intelligence, verily.

engio wrote:So if COO matters so much on a $20 purchase, I think this Chrysler commercial will pay off.

For a non-US company...

Postby Greenman » February 10th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

If I were a German brewery or a Swiss watchmaker I would spoof this so hard.

"Let the Americans make your pissenwasser!"

Postby nxakt » February 11th, 2014, 12:53 am

nxakt
full self-realization
full self-realization

If A is the set containing Chrysler buyers.
If B is a set containing Swiss watch buyers.

What is the size of A ∩ B?

Postby iab » February 11th, 2014, 8:46 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Greenman wrote:I think you nailed it, but the weight it carries isn't necessarily positive, or healthy. The problem is that they're selling hope and pride along with a product, but the reality is that low skill jobs that afford middle class wages and lifestyles ain't coming back, they're going to the folks in the Coke commercial.

The same generation (baby boomers) that's schilling product on American pride and hope are the ones who've outsourced all the work, what a fucking joke.

If you are not a fellow Xer Mr. Greenman, I would like to officially offer you an honorary membership. Your cynicism is on par with the rest of us and awesome.

Postby Greenman » February 11th, 2014, 10:53 am

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

iab wrote:If you are not a fellow Xer Mr. Greenman, I would like to officially offer you an honorary membership. Your cynicism is on par with the rest of us and awesome.

Thank you, I graciously accept, my age does put me at the tail end of gen X. We're defined as cynics by the previous generation because we don't take their constructs of bullshit at face value. I prefer to think of it as "we're better than this".

Postby rbisolar » February 12th, 2014, 9:31 am

rbisolar

For some reason I like it :D
__________________________________________________________________________________________
rough greenhouses
Last edited by rbisolar on April 16th, 2014, 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Postby noahwangerin » February 14th, 2014, 1:52 pm

noahwangerin
step two
step two

Greenman wrote: The problem is that they're selling hope and pride along with a product, but the reality is that low skill jobs that afford middle class wages and lifestyles ain't coming back, they're going to the folks in the Coke commercial.

Good point, those jobs aren't coming back. My hope and pride comes from factories like Tesla. Maybe we replace 50 low skill jobs with 1 high skill job managing robots. That's still 1 more job here in the USA, money staying in the economy invested on US soil, and 50 less people exploited elsewhere.

The problem is Chrysler isn't Tesla. And this is a different hope and pride than what they seem to be selling the viewer.

And please don't get me wrong, I do believe in globalization. It's not a black or white subject. Balance is everything.

Previous

Return to off topic