Introverts or extroverts?

Simply the question popped up in my mind. Are you guys mostly extroverts or introverts? :smiley:

Introvert. I have no fear of public speaking or mixing with people, but I prefer quite a bit of being alone.

I don’t know. I like being with and in front of people. I can talk to anybody about anything, at length. But my life has forced me to be that was so, I have no clue what I would be like if I had only been left to my own devices.

For me being an introvert or extrovert depends on how you get energy (With people? Alone) and maintain it. Meyers Briggs isn’t a bad test to take for helping you figure that out (see it as a data point for getting to know yourself better).

Introvert all the way. I don’t dislike meeting new people and chatting, but I’m much more comfortable when I have alone time.

I find it kind of ironic that the introverts are the first ones to respond. Then again I’ve heard people say that, “The internet is by introverts, for introverts.”

ahahha ya bit ironic. However I would say on the whole I am an extrovert, but after being around people for semi-long periods of time I need to recharge.

Introvert. No question. I hate people. (kidding… mostly)

Mr. 9-14, I am similar to you. I typically set myself apart and observe situations before interacting. I think this is sort of a designer’s approach to any situation though.

A friend recently brought this topic up. He read that there is a link between solitude and breakthrough creative moments. Apparently it has been an important practice for some famous innovators and artists. Personally I think we need social environments to expand our thinking and experiences. Then we need solitude to reflect and create.

Any thoughts on that?

Pretty much explains my design process… I like to be in a creative/collaborative environment to get my brain started on ideas/influence/inspiration. But I require the alone quiet time in order to actually have my voila moment in creating an epic design :stuck_out_tongue:

Same goes for me. It’s kind of a dilemma for me right now tbh…

Another thought. Are intros prone to use the web/messageboards/forums in a more frequent manner than extros? I personally love lurking around here, reading and contemplating over the conversations that are going on, forming my own thoughts on the matter.

Extrovert. Though I know by now I can’t entertain indefinitely and will have a small breakdown after three full-on social days. Easily solved by scheduling a quiet evening at home. Took me a while to figure that out though.

ryanid: I think it’s true. I heard a comedian recently talking about how he got so many of his ideas from battling boredom when he was a lonely kid. He says he continues to get away as an adult to search for boredom where he can concentrate on new ideas.

Also, look at Johnny Ive. That guy is not comfortable as a front man.

You could patent that quote. This is exactly what I already did in childhood days, which my mother couldn’t
understand. I loved to get out and around with the other kids, but after some days went back into my room
to have some lone time. My best buddies never had a problem with that, but some of the girls sure had…

Today I love to be with the family, but I also love to get away to work. Which is a rather small gig with only
a handful people. Being largely a sales guy now I do get in touch with people a lot, though.

mo-i

from the New York Times: “The Rise of the New Groupthink”

Research strongly suggests that people are more creative when they enjoy privacy and freedom from interruption. And the most spectacularly creative people in many fields are often introverted, according to studies by the psychologists Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and Gregory Feist. They’re extroverted enough to exchange and advance ideas, but see themselves as independent and individualistic. They’re not joiners by nature.

tip of the day: 10 myths about introverts. http://doktorspinn.com/2011/12/05/10-myths-introverts/

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Wow! So true.

I am weird though, what does that mean?!?!?!

Yes! Your Twitter avatar made it to Core! True introvert…