Where'd you get your wallet? What do you carry in it?

I never got all this EDC extreme carrying stuff. First time I came across it I thought that the US must be a lot more dangerous than I had known or there was some zombie apocalypse I didn’t hear about. Do you really need to carry knives, paracord and tools around everyday?

I like to be prepared, but that goes to extent of maybe having an extra credit card or so on me, or maybe toothbrush and toothpaste for a daytrip. I’ve never expected to need a flashlight, flint and battle axe in the city…

My “EDC” is pretty minimal.

L pocket gun, lip balm, listerine strips, coins. coins get emptied into a tray on arrival at home every day.

R pocket, cash, iPhone

Wallet (Rear R pocket) card type only. 2 credit cards, drivers license, health card, 6 business cards, 1 airmiles type card. I never understood the wallets that hold cash (had one for years) as they take up 4 x 1.4mm+ of leather layers for a few bills and tend to get stuffed with receipts and crap.

Taylor - love the black key thing… you may have just got me started into the abyss…

my keys are are two different fobs. one for car only. the other for everything else (too many keys). In winter they all go into my jacket (R front). In summer I usually carry a man bag with keys + smokes + wallet + gum + mini moleskin, pen, etc. I have a few different bags about the size of a paperback, Bally expandable, LV, etc. that I swear by.

R

I also thought I would never use them, but they come in handy more often than you’d expect.

Mini Tool is mainly used as a bottle opener and there have been a few times I’ve needed to use it as a pry bar it also opens tape packages fairly easily. Though a key would suffice in most situation.

Flashlight gets used fairly often. My old phone use to have an LED flash on it and it was awesome. Iphone 3GS screen is pretty much useless as a light. Few examples. Dropped keys in the park, don’t want to turn on your lights in the middle of the night and wake up roommates, Creepy unlit alley shortcut. Also its the size of a AAA battery so it gets clipped to my keys. A Flashohlics saying is “You bring an umbrella if there’s a chance of rain don’t you? Well there’s a 100% chance of darkness tonight.”

Knife doesn’t get used a bunch, but when I do need it I’m glad I have it. Stubborn packages are its biggest use. Makes opening giant plastic bags pretty easy. (Think new mattress) I also use it to break down boxes before they go in the trash. Don’t use it daily, but ill bring it out once a week to do something.

Paracord is almost useless to carry on you. But its my keychain lanyard so why not. It makes retrieving my keys much easier. Just pull the tiny end that stick out of my pocket. But I do keep a lashing of it in my car and backpack. Ive used it a few times to tie down packages and keep them from moving.

Something tells me, Lew, you are the target customer for Duluth Trading.

If by that you mean that I appreciate well-made and durable products, definitely. The “construction worker” aspect of DTC’o’s product line doesn’t play into it at all. And if it’s made in the U.S., so much the better.

And speaking of … here’s another line. 14.75 oz. 100% cotton denim, blue jeans; Prison Blues. Manufactured by Oregon Corrections Enterprises. If you’re old enough to remember how “new” jeans shrank an inch or so after the first wash, and how they chapped your hide until they had been washed a few times … these, is them.

Great slogan too.

I personally cant wait until my wallet gives out…

Everytime I get a new one I tend to “clean” out the old. To my surprise I love my current wallet (mainly because of the clip). Since I am a front pocket kind of guy the clip is great for securing it. If I could find a nicer quality wallet with a stainless clip made for front pocket use that houses most of the crap listed below I’m sold.

Drivers License
Work ID
Kart Racing Membership Card
USNWC Pass
AAA Card
Fishing License
Insurance Card
Health Care Card
Couple Random Business Cards
Credit Card
Corp Card
(2) Debit Cards
Paypal Debit Card
REI Membership Card
SkyMiles Card
Flight Pass Card

Sheesh…You guys made me go through my wallet, and good god was it stuffed with unnecessary crap. I just have a normal, run-of-the-mill black leather wallet from Fossil. I think it was an xmas gift when I was 15, and it is still holding my stuff. It has a nice patina, but it is far from falling apart.

Contents:
Debit
(3)Credit cards, one corporate
gas card (removed)
old student ID (always used)
health insurance
eye insurance (removed
license
costco card (removed)
corporate business card
personal (freelance) card
stainless bottle opener
small blank paper (never know when you need to write)

Just snapped a photo of my updated, and likely final iteration of my Everyday Carry.

Left Pocket:
iPhone 4 (Flashlight, GPS, makes phone calls too). Naked, no case or cover.

Right Pocket:
Maker Carry Goods leather Angle Wallet (Drivers license, Credit card, Car2Go card, and Stainless Steel multi-tool card).
Cash, folded.
Keys…
-TEC Accessories P-7 Suspension Clip (makes it so your keys hang in the middle of your front pocket to prevent the bottom pocket bulge)
-CountComm black bxide split key ring
-Kwikset house key (black / Titanium brand key blank)
-Masterlock key to access locked bikes (black / Titanium brand key blank)
-Volvo V70 key (black)
-Kryptonite bike lock key (black)

5th Pocket:
Firehouse Moustache Wax

Ray Ban Wayfarers w/prescription lenses for the blazing Austin, TX sun.

Almost forgot…

A quick way to tell the tourists from the locals here in Austin, when you sit down at a restaurant or bar… locals reach for their koozie in their back pocket, tourists don’t have one. So I carry a black koozie with black printing on it in my back left pocket. I literally have approximately 80-100 koozies in a drawer in my kitchen (along with the vast majority of people who live here), and I only keep the ones that have cool graphic design or sayings on them, the rest I give away to tourist friends to blend in.

And a folded handkerchief for sweat in my back right pocket, for the 110+ degree heat.

I have become so accustomed to these two things, I don’t even consider them part of the EDC, more like part of required apparel to start the day, like socks or something similar.

Are people in Austin disgusted by condensation?

… locals reach for their koozie …

Whoaa! Taylor, you had me going there for a second, I was just about ready to delete that comment… . had to google the term.

A simpler “solution”, to me, would be to knock one back before it got warm… . but that’s just me… .

Are people in Austin disgusted by condensation?

Haha!

It is a way of life. The handkerchief makes it so you’re not always a dripping sloppy mess, at least for some of the time. The koozie insulates your 40 degree beer or Topo Chico so doesn’t get to be 100+ degrees like the ambient air in a hurry. They really do help.

For the record, I never heard the term “koozie” before moving here. Its truly not even a “hip” thing, just a common word that people know, totally common word, state-wide I believe.
(I’ve also heard people call them “cozys” outside of TX, and a guy from Mississippi call them “huggies”)

It’s koozie at the other end of I-35, too… FYI.

I had been using a giant paper clip for a while. I loved the minimalist look and feel but wanted some more protection for my cards and such. Started to play around with materials on Ponoko and turned it into a little side project. I carry this thing now and it’s super lightweight. I need to get a sewing machine though. Maybe use dark elastic since it’s quite dirty already.

I got a small Bosca wallet/card carrier and I carry: License, credit card, debit card, health/dental/car insurance cards, subway card, cash.

A couple of my friends were designing and making wallets and other leather items on the side for a year or so no unlike some of the Billykirk stuff, but they gave me this wallet and I love it. It’s very small and forced me to really pair down what I was carrying to some pretty essential stuff:

Driver’s license
1 Debit Card
1 Credit Card
1 Keycard for one of our buidlings off campus (just realized while typing this, that card will live in my bag from now on)
a couple business cards
Cash
Receipts that haven’t made it out of my wallet yet

There’s a place where people will stop making fun of me for using beer koozies! I’m there. We called them that in Illinois too, but no one uses them except me and a few friends. I still find them around the garage and mainly only pull them out for my buddy and I these days.

I have the same wallet I had during my undergrad years, it’s just a leather columbia (well now the letters are long gone so it’s a “Colum”) but when my son was born I stuck the hospital sticker in it, then when my daughter was born that one went in it too and so I keep it.

• old receipts
  • tickets from the ski-ball machine at the mall
  • driver’s license
  • some designer’s business card that I don’t really know anymore
  • discover card
  • AIGA card
  • Ultreck, Blick and REI cards
  • Walker art center membership
  • student id
  • some movie stubs that I haven’t put away yet. I have every movie stub I’ve ever purchased. (except drive-in movies, they don’t always give you stubs.)

There’s also the remains of the admission sticker from the Mississippi river museum in Dubuque IA stuck on the outside. My parents took us there a couple years ago.
2011-08-05-10.36.gif

The most interesting thing I got from this incredibly old topic is the amount of stuff that people want to carry around with them and where. For those that care about hip alignment, putting a fat wallet in your back pocket is a bad idea. I have tried to carry my cellphone around as little as possible, and depending on the situation I might put my debit card with my cash in my pocket.

Wallets? A convenient place to store a few cards. I’ve got health insurance, debit, driver’s license, and cash. J.Crew magic wallet all the way.

Got a wallet with graphics from Piet Parra, but it is really terrible quality. Also I’m really annoyed that you have to open up the wallet to get coins out. Just got the usual in it and some cheap back-up ear protections in case I forget them to take them with me to concerts/clubbing.

Need to buy a new one when I have the money. Does anyone know a company that makes wallets just like Luxury Leather iPhone Cases and Tech Accessories ?

I have my grandpa’s WW2 Army issue billfold, but I don’t think it would be right to use that.

I haven’t kept a wallet since I graduated high school and lost one (with a chain at that)

Now I just use my front pocket to carry my DL, Ins. Card, Debit Card, and Corporate Card plus cash if I have any. I have my card numbers memorized, but I still have to have them on me for some things.

Duluth Pack Wallet and money clip

I love this soo much! Simple, Holds everything I need a few IDs, cta pass, credit cards and a few bucks highly highly recommend. And made in USA by a great company

Years ago, the thought of theft while traveling encouraged me to move my ‘important things’ to a front pocket and I found it was easier to get to and easier to keep track of…so I ditched regular ‘wallets of old’ and have been creating minimalized-holding-mechanisms ever since. I experimented with rubber bands, leather strips, sewn elastic, etc. Life got easier a few years back when I added CardStar to my phone - less to carry.

Last year was the latest upgrade and is holding up well. It’s nothing more than one of those cable keeper strips with a hook-n-loop closure wrapped tightly around my stuff. It holds everything in place, allows me to slide things in and out with ease, is pickpocketproof and most of all, I like it. K.I.S.S. right?

Every few months I switch to a different colored strip, just 'cause.