What are you reading?

So what are you reading?

I just finished the Millenium Trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.), I have been reading short stories by David Foster Wallace and have just picked up Infinite Jest. For design insights on life and the other way around 79 Short Essays on Design by Michael Beirut is good to leave handy. This summer I read and reread at least two or three times Malcolm Gladwell’s What the Dog Saw.

1 Like

I love to read history.

[u]Memoirs of Service Afloat during the War Between the States[/u]
by Admiral Raphael Semmes, Captain of the CSS Alabama, CSN
originally published in 1868.

The Blue & Grey Press, ©1987 (and others since)
ISBN: 1-55521-177-1

The CSS Alabama was the first steam-powered warship in the world that was set loose on the oceans of the world against the commerce of another nation. This is the story of the career, seamanship, and political views of the founder of the Confederate States Navy; it’s history and development, battles and cruises.

If you want a story of the War Between the States, from a different perspective, this is the book to read. A light read; 832 pages.

That looks pretty good Lew. I might have to check it out.

Was reading, but did not finish
The Hidden Persuaders

Now reading
The Cancer Stage of Capitalism

I’m waiting for the last Millenium book to come out in paperback. Like the series…pity that we will never have more of Stieg.

Just finished The Enigma of Capital. Only the last chapter got a little too flaky for my taste. The first 3/4 are the most lucid analysis of the recession I’ve read.

http://www.amazon.ca/Enigma-Capital-Crises-Capitalism/dp/0199758719/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292851420&sr=8-1

Now reading Program or be Programmed by Douglas Rushkoff. Mind blowing as normal.

I am accidentally reading the Millenium series out of order. Read 1, then 3, so just catching up on 2 now.
In the queue are The Paleo Solution , Born to Run, and Why Zebras don’t get Ulcers.

Finished:
1776 by David McCullough
The Art of Innovation by Tim Brown

Now reading The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil by Philip Zimbardo, the guy behind the Stanford Prision Experiment.

I’m currently reading “Ghost Rider” by Neil Peart. The drummer from Rush hopped on his motorcycle and rode all around North America after his daughter and wife died within a year of each other: Amazon.com

Millenium series is on my hit list. Also got Ayn Rand in the Kindle queue as well as “Delivering Happiness” by Tony Hsieh…the founder of Zappos: Amazon.com

I should also mention that I’m currently reading the Harry Potter series to my daughter. We’re on “The Prisoner of Azkaban” right now. I highly recommend them.

Read an introduction to Padgett Powell’s novel, “The Interrogative Mood”. Going to read the whole book if I will manage to order it.

http://www.amazon.com/Interrogative-Mood-Novel-Padgett-Powell/dp/0061859419

“The Slap” by Christos Tsiolkas. I find almost every character repulsive, but it’s a very well written book to be able to convey this.

I reread Carl Jung’s “The Undiscovered Self” and still didn’t agree with anything in it. Oh well.

I’m going to revisit “Fahrenheit 451” because I’m running out of dystopian movies/tv shows to watch and I need my fix :stuck_out_tongue:

I might do that too. I can’t wait until the HP8 director is done so he can get working on that Giver movie.

Well, after Santa’s visit, I now have Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand), Corelli’s Mandolin (Louis de Bernieres), The Goblet of Fire (JK Rowling), and Blink (Malcolm Gladwell) to read. I need a babysitter.

Get it on!

Just finished: Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Soulcraft-Inquiry-Value/dp/0143117467/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293473993&sr=8-1

Really great stuff and very inspiring. I’d recommend it to any one who works.

Just finished Gladwell’s The Tipping Point, and Richard Dredge’s The World’s Worst Concept Cars (decent coffee table book for flipping through and getting inspiration of what not to do.)

Just started Paul Hawken’s The Ecology of Commerce

Some of my friends and I passed around the audiobook not too long ago, got some good stuff in there for sure.

Just finished The Fountainhead by Rand. Overlong & overwrought, but satiating like a big meal on a cold nite