Close

dziner82
step four
step four

so ive gotten some good advice in this thread so im gonna ask for more:
attic insulation, roll down kind vs kind you spray down through the machine??

i need to add probably 4-6 more inches in the attic, just wondering if anyone has any feedback. Im assuming the roll out kind is more expensive for convenience, but i haven't been able to find accurate prices for the shredded kind.

anyone have any idea as to how much more expensve the rolled route is? 50% more? 100%more?

thanks.

NURB

Not sure about cost, but I think the blow in kind is better insulation in general. You can get it in all the nooks and crannys of your attic, and that certainly helps with the R value. Plus it looks totally fun to do... a bit messy, but totally fun. I saw an episode of Ask This Old House where they added a few inches in. Remember to let your roof breathe though.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

joyride
step four
step four

#1 on the google search: http://www.askthebuilder.com/165__Attic ... Batt.shtml

Keep in mind that Home Depot/Lowes will be running sales on the rolls in the next month or so. I think Lowes had R-20 at $3 off each roll.

dziner82
step four
step four

yea i guess i have to just price it out with the blown kind, see where it lands, ive heard that if you buy enough bags of it then the places (home depot/lowes. etc) let you rent the machine for free. Right now i have batts in there that only go about halfway up the ceiling boards.

this has been my #1 "put it off" project with this house so far.

mo-i
full self-realization
full self-realization

We are in the process of aquiring a house, too. It looks like these forums
are comming off age finaly ... ;)

My question: Did any one of you get any experiences with house sidings made of asbestos shingles?
The house we are interested in was built in the mid eighties, but still the architect, who built it for
himself, used shingles like they are shown in the picture beneath.

Right now I am waiting for different offers. Either complete removal of insulation and shingles followed
by a new house siding (DOH) or having those old ones painted. I don't particular like the idea of having them
painted, but I am open to listen to your experiences and stories.

mo-i
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

NURB

Asbestos siding was very common here in the US for many years. You're ok to paint them, but you can't scrape or break them due to the risk of contamination (at least thats what I've been told). I wonder how well it would paint?

If I were going to redo my siding (which is currently cedar shakes) I'd go with a product like Hardie board or a similar cement board type siding. http://www.jameshardie.com/main.shtml
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Lmo

You're ok to paint them, but you can't scrape or break them due to the risk of contamination (at least thats what I've been told).

You've been told correctly. I've been through the HAZMAT training course on asbestos handling. Mo-i I think you will be surprised at the cost of remediation of your old shingle siding. If it's anything at all like in the U.S., the disposal, precautions, and procedures necessary to protect the workers (and your neighbors) makes the handling of asbestos materials extremely high. Over here asbestos work must be performed in an enclosure, which in the case of a house, would mean a tent like structure...

Paint is probably your most economical path. Given the world we live in today, I'd bet there are special purpose paints available specifically for asbestos. No scraping or sanding allowed and it would be wise to not allow a painter to power wash the house prior to painting; you don't want to loosen any asbestos (which would fall to the ground and become airborne when it dried out). Are you certain that the siding actually is asbestos? On the positive side, asbestos/cement siding is an excellent insulator.

If it is, make sure you are wearing a particle mask (and not a cheap paper one) when you are in that structure while they are working on it. If they are cutting the material there is bound to be friable asbestos in the air ... not good.

Copper gutters and down spouts... . nice. You don't see that much anymore!
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

mo-i
full self-realization
full self-realization

Lew,

thanks for your thoughtful answer. The pic above is not the actual house and we didn't sign any
papers until now. We are just "an interested party". The removal of the asbestos shingles will indeed be very
costly as the european legislators do demand a new (thicker) insulation, also, if you redo the house siding.
As of today I have two offers of contractors that have the appropriate euquipment and they run about 34K
and 25 K Euros respectively . YIKES! (new 100mm insulation and shingle siding on roughly 110m2)
They would have to built not a complete tent but a cover for the side they are working on.

I'll have to strongly rethink if this is the right buy for us with the second little toddler being expected any
time soon.

mo-i
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

Previous

Return to off topic