Close

Re: What cell phone do you own?

Postby Generatewhatsnext » December 30th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Generatewhatsnext
full self-realization
full self-realization

sgoochoa wrote:I have a galaxy note 2. I used to have an iPhone 4 and a HTC X, but after having this phone I can't use an iPhone, I fell I can't type in such a small keyboard, I read a lot of books (is almost the size of a Kindle) and have a wacom pen that make easy to make some fast sketch while visiting factories or checking prototypes and you don't have paper and pen with you all the time, but I have the phone in my pocket all the time and it doesn't feel big in your pocket (sometimes I even don't feel it because is very slim). Anyway I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Samsung rocks (and as a designer I'm loving their commitment to including the S-Pen in almost all their new devices)...ATIV Q anyone??
Scott Snider
Partner, Product Development
Generator, inc.
http://www.generatewhatsnext.com
http://www.twitter.com/generatewhtsnxt
http://www.linkedin.com/company/1023934

Postby sanjy009 » December 30th, 2013, 4:54 pm

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

I recently got an iPhone 5c as a work phone, but I'm keeping my galaxy 3 as my phone. The biggest differences for me are the apple podcast app, so much better than any android one I've tried, and the apple magnifying glass-text editing, again miles ahead of android. Everything else is pretty equal. That said I prefer the galaxy 3 overall (I came off a 3GS) mainly because it doesn't have iTunes. Just plugging it into any PC and being able to drag and drop files is a wonder apple fan boys will never know.

Postby NURB » December 30th, 2013, 5:18 pm

NURB

sanjy009 wrote:Just plugging it into any PC and being able to drag and drop files is a wonder apple fan boys will never know.

There's an App for that. Don't even need to plug it in.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby pixel » December 30th, 2013, 5:48 pm

pixel

nurb, do you mind sharing the app name? I hope it is not iTunes... :D

Postby NURB » December 30th, 2013, 6:34 pm

NURB

Desk Connect
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deskcon ... 18244?mt=8
Works pretty well. Some limitations, but works well.
Chris Haar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby Cameron » December 31st, 2013, 2:42 pm

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

Surprised at all the Galaxy owners here. I guess if they sell a bazillion, that has to include designers as well. =)
Cameron Nielsen
Ooblec Design Studio | LinkedIn | Personal Site
'There is an inherent intelligence to beauty' - Dori Tunstall

Postby NURB » December 31st, 2013, 2:47 pm

NURB

I've been wanting to check out a Galaxy recently. I was also hoping the Moto X would have done a bit better, but it sort of seems to have flopped.

I still like my iPhone, but I may explore alternatives next time. Maybe I'll be ready for a windows phone next time.
Chris Haar

Postby Cameron » January 1st, 2014, 5:11 pm

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

I'm really excited to see what the iPhone 6 will be. It would be awesome to see an iPhone 3g-style with all-glass front (curved on all sides) and all metal back with some kind of bezel in between. The iPhone is due for another radical step forward again, on the level of the iPhone 4. It might even tempt me away from Windows Phone…maybe.
Cameron Nielsen

Postby nxakt » January 3rd, 2014, 9:52 am

nxakt
full self-realization
full self-realization

LG Optimus G Pro. After a couple months of usage can safely say it is a good phone.

Postby frdiby » January 3rd, 2014, 11:56 am

frdiby
step two
step two

Google Nexus 4. I got it for OS longevity and because I wanted to take advantage of MVNO networks, ie Simple Mobile. I use it for email, etc. I was pretty excited about it when I got it a year ago, and I still like the freedom.
Attachments
LG-Nexus-4-add1.jpg
LG-Nexus-4-add1.jpg (74.33 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

Postby Cameron » January 3rd, 2014, 6:11 pm

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

Anyone have T-Mobile? I have AT&T right now, 2 lines, 1 data plan, no text plan and it can get up to $130/mo. I find the $30 unlimited texting plan particularly eggregious. I'm interested in getting an unlocked Lumia 1020 and jumping ship to T-Mobile.
Cameron Nielsen

Postby Travisimo » January 4th, 2014, 7:39 am

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

It always blows me away how much mobile plans cost in the US.. I remember having an iPhone and paying about a hundred bucks a month.. Now I get grumpy when I have to pay 40 quid / $60 a month. Carriers are really milking consumers over there.

So I've been looking for a new phone too. Had the Sony Experia Z - it's been so disappointing. Screen broken twice - in my pocket, no big event like a fall, and with a tempered glass screen protector and shock case each time. Also the camera image quality was very low - even with 13 megapixel. All the small details are filtered in some way that kills the image quality. So much I love about it, but the camera is a priority to me and I can't be shelling out for new screens every two months.

The 1020 is very tempting and I want to believe there's good competition out there, but I think Im going back to Apple. It's hard to get around the all around quality level in the iPhone. The screen is a little too small, but everything else is superb and there's never any problem getting the apps you want. Maybe now some of the issues I had before, like having to use iTunes to move files around won't be a problem with cloud apps and spotify

Postby Cameron » January 4th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

Travisimo, you should talk to someone with a Lumia and WP8. Depends what your app needs are, but honestly the parity is greater than ever and Lumia hardware and design quality is iPhone level. They've even been doing curved glass edges for a few years before Apple is getting to it. It's just that old stereotypes die hard, most WP complaints were outdated 12 months ago but still get parroted about.
Cameron Nielsen

Postby Travisimo » January 4th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

Cameron wrote:Travisimo, you should talk to someone with a Lumia and WP8. Depends what your app needs are, but honestly the parity is greater than ever and Lumia hardware and design quality is iPhone level. They've even been doing curved glass edges for a few years before Apple is getting to it. It's just that old stereotypes die hard, most WP complaints were outdated 12 months ago but still get parroted about.

I had the Lumia 800 and really loved it - such black blacks and the hardware design was incredible.... that was up until around july when the screen broke

my problem was apps not being available. And being forced into Bing. And the OS pushing me into Skydrive when I was more invested in other services. And lastly, how the war between Microsoft and Google was starting to affect how I used my google apps products on the Windows phone.

I did really like Windows Phone, and the 1020 camera is top notch - I've just gone so far away from Apple these last couple phones, I'm kind of curious about them again

What cell phone do you own?

Postby NURB » January 4th, 2014, 4:51 pm

NURB

When Andriod OS matches this design guideline package by Google, I'll switch from iOS. Until then, it all seems unorganized.
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Google-V ... -1/9028077
Chris Haar

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to off topic