What are interns earning?

What are sophmore or junior level interns earning (or what are you paying them) on the east coast?

NOTHING!!!

Got that right! Interns may get minimum wage if you’re lucky. Otherwise, put in the time and earn yo stripes.

I interned the past two summers and I made over 18 dollars and hour at both places. I think it all depends on where you go.

did you have to give BJs for that kind of money?

No not really, I worked on projects that all went into production. Companies do pay for creativity, not for filing things or sweeping the floor.

That’s B.S. Like students should HAVE TO intern for free, even in this economy. I got paid $17 an hour, four years ago.

Listen up students, if some company is offering internships which don’t pay and you have to, or really want to work there an gain experience that is one thing, but doing an internship for free is NOT NORMAL and is actually immoral from the companies’ perspective in my opinion (there used to be a big thread on this).

Seems most internships are free these days.

It may not be ethical but it is legal. According to the US Department of Labor, part of their definiton of an internship is:

• Internships may be full-time or part-time positions;
• Internships may be paid, volunteer positions, and/or offer school credit;

http://www.doleta.gov/youth_services/yocorner/experience/internships.cfm

I got $15/h 4 years ago as an intern. I had a friend who interned at Karim Rashid, living in NY, and he got $10/ DAY

Take what you can get. What you should really look to get is good project experience and new skills.

WRONG.

Read beyond the headline. Volunteer positions doesn’t mean volunteering to work at a for-profit corporation or consultancy; it means doing volunteer work at the shelter, or for a non-profit. Try clicking the little “volunteering” link at the top of that page for examples of what is meant.

I did quite a bit of reading on this last year and posted a couple times on that old Core thread. Generally speaking based on the legal documentation I reviewed (much but not all of it was State of California, if i remember correctly), I believe the only time a consultancy or corporation can get away w/out paying a salary is if it’s done for school credit; and even then it needs to follow certain guidelines to ensure an educational experience for the student (i.e. no “sanda model” day-in and day-out).

The guidelines aren’t overly rigorous, but there were guidelines. In my experience, however, few students were really educated by either the school or the company on what those guidelines really were. This is certainly the fault of both parties, but it’s also the fault of those within our industry who mislead others, and those who fail to do their own homework to protect themselves.

Bottom line: companies should not expect free labor (it’s actually a violation of labor laws due to it’s affects on employment of real workers), and students should not only protect their rights, but the rights of those graduates looking for work - no one wants to graduate and find they can’t get a job because some company is improperly using a student labor pool.

Do your research, folks. Reading a “headline” and drawing broad conclusions is as bad as listening to a political soundbite and running off to war on false pretenses… wait a sec, no one does that!

I believe the only time a consultancy or corporation can get away w/out paying a salary is if it’s done for school credit; and even then it needs to follow certain guidelines to ensure an educational experience for the student

Yes this is true but think about it. Unless you need the credits this is a rip off for a student. Not only do they not get paid but they have to pay tuition to actually participate in this type of internship.

I rather do a free internship that doesn’t require me to pay tuition.

Entering Junior year in ID
Northeast corporation
10/hr
good experience, wish I got paid more money, but commuted from home so it wasn’t so bad.

Yes this is true but think about it. Unless you need the credits this is a rip off for a student. Not only do they not get paid but they have to pay tuition to actually participate in this type of internship.

I rather do a free internship that doesn’t require me to pay tuition.

I’ve been there so there’s nothing I need to think about. However, how this information is used by a student can vary. It can be used:

• as leverage to get minimum wage if no credits are provided.
  • to gain credits which can be applied to the school year and allow for scheduling flexibility to make time for a PT job or additional portfolio work. (Note: full-time tuition doesn’t normally increase with additional hours - so this could in some cases be negotiated with the school so that no additional tuition costs are applied; esp if there is no active involvement on the part of the school)
  • to have a voice in what kind of internship it will be (a real educational experience as opposed to alternating between coffee gofer and sanding blockhead - why bother doing THAT for free; to bask in the glow of a bunch of opportunistic assholes?)
  • to call attention to the illegal and shamefull practices of those design firms and companies who “eat their young” (Architectural Review editorial term, if I recall correctly; they do the same thing in that profession).

Bottom line is that this information is empowering. Saying that “volunteer” work in the context of interning at a consultancy is “legal” doesn’t help anyone except those taking advantage of interns. And perhaps if good information were passed around instead of misinformation, the practice would fizzle out all on its own.

imo, the above comment re: Rashid’s intern should be reported. If no credit was earned, no program manager with the school oversaw the internship, and no legally acceptable wages were paid for work done - then it appears Mr. Rashid has not only violated the law, but perpuated the myth and hurt the design community. I certainly hope this is not the case; however, if I knew someone who had been taken advantage of in this manner (and kept their mouth shut for fear of reprisal or blacklisting), I’d report it to the authorities and let them make a determination.

But that’s just my conservative nature :wink:

Not sure when you did your internship but its so competitive right now that if you don’t want to work for free someone else will.

Some schools do charge more if you take more than 16 credits in one semester. Personally I feel your school work or internship will suffer if you take on to much.

I am looking for an internship for the summer. Since I am a returning student (already have a 1 design degree and work experience) believe me I am worth way more than minimum wage.

Bottom line is I am entering a new area of design. I am willing to work for free for the right experience. To me it means free education. I certainly don’t want to have to pay tuiton on top of earning no money.

It’s always been competitive. And people who allow themselves to be taken advantage of are not necessarily provided more respect and opportunities than those who stand on principle and refuse. Actually, in my experience, people who do this are often laughed at behind closed doors (not a good way to get a worthwhile job with a future - although good for getting a crap entry-level position with limited upward-mobility).

Some schools do charge more if you take more than 16 credits in one semester. Personally I feel your school work or internship will suffer if you take on to much.

And some don’t until it’s over 21 credits/semester.

I am looking for an internship for the summer. Since I am a returning student (already have a 1 design degree and work experience) believe me I am worth way more than minimum wage.

Not necessarily to everyone. I have two degrees and tons of experience - but I don’t go around claiming my worth; I simply take jobs that pay fairly for the task at hand. Arrogance is not a friend to those searching out internships. Understanding their rights is.

Bottom line is I am entering a new area of design. I am willing to work for free for the right experience. To me it means free education. I certainly don’t want to have to pay tuiton on top of earning no money.

And that’s your decision. Fine. But posting that this practice is legal in America would be incorrect. Like it or not, according to current labor laws, you’re taking a legitimate job from some graduate. And when you graduate, someone may be doing the same to you. I believe the term is “unfair labor practices” and impacts not just you and the other guy, but competition between businesses (after all, your firm can underbid another guy who’s actually hiring someone, paying their salary, and generating tax revenue).

Rather than try to find loopholes - just admit you’re going to do this because you think it’s best for you; everyone else be damned. But please don’t perpetuate a myth.

You just lost me.

I have two degrees and tons of experience - but I don’t go around claiming my worth

Actually I have 2 degrees too. I don’t think there is anything wrong with me saying I’m worth more than minimum wage based on my past experience and education. You make it sound like I’m arrogant. IMO there is nothing wrong with understanding you are worth.

Sure you may be right about me taking a job from a graduate but I’m looking for a summer internship not a year long internship. If they would hire me that would be great… that is the goal anyway. If they like me then maybe they will offer me a job when the summer is up.[/quote]

Great.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with me saying I’m worth more than minimum wage based on my past experience and education. You make it sound like I’m arrogant. IMO there is nothing wrong with understanding you are worth.

“believe me I am worth way more than minimum wage.”

Well, that sounds arrogant to me (and that coming from someone who has hired interns).

I was once in your position: a returning student looking for work. Had the same attitude: “I know my worth!” It didn’t go over well. Looking back, I understand why it didn’t… I sounded just like you.

My advice: don’t assume you know what you’re worth before you meet a potential employer. Let them tell you what they think you’re worth (remember the adage: first person to quote a price loses). Mix that in with how much you need the money, the experience, the credits(?) and whatever else you’ve learned about what they pay; and then decide what your worth is. This will hopefully prevent you from making comments like you did regarding the legality of free labor and looking like a boob. Better to go in humble and get the job, than go in there with your pride and walk out looking for the next interview.

No offense. Just being blunt.

You just don’t get it. If I am so arrogant why am I willing to work for free.

Yes I know what you’re talking about. I know several people that have been out of work for years because they thought the pay was too low and acted like they knew more than the hiring manager. Trust me that’s not me but I am worth way more than minimum wage… actually any decent designer is worth way more than minimum wage.

Anyway I am off this thread. It seems to be no longer about the topic and more of a personal attack.

Oh, I get it alright (like this is some new and special situation to the design profession - hahaha).

Trust me that’s not me but I am worth way more than minimum wage… actually any decent designer is worth way more than minimum wage.

hahaha. More ego. It kills me when designers say stuff like this - the word “prima donna” always comes to mind!

Anyway I am off this thread. It seems to be no longer about the topic and more of a personal attack.

Take it how you want. It’s not like anyone really cares if you get a job or not. Well, except for the guys at the place who’re telling you to put on the knee pads and worship them. Besides, you won’t be the first one to do this, get screwed up the arse, and then smile and tell everyone what a great experience you had (while then trying to figure out why the firm won’t hire you after graduation). In fact, you’ll join a long-line of bow-legged designers :slight_smile: