Close

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Mr-914 » April 17th, 2017, 7:15 am

Mr-914

yo wrote:When I'm asked to quote on a project the first thing I ask is what is your budget and schedule? To date no one has ever told me their budget and very few have said a schedule. I tell them that I am going to scope it at the maximum and we can go from there, but it would be so much easier if I had a sense of where they wanted to be so I could say "no thanks", or "I can give you this much for that much"....

What I find weird is that everyone tells me that one of their business advantages is "speed to market". That's great, but then you have no idea when the product needs to hit the floor and it inevitably stalls out until your competitor launches their version and it becomes you number one priority. Very strange.

slippyfish wrote:@Mr-914 - Critical Chain sounds like a good resource for project managers or operations people. Or perhaps even start-ups. Do you see practical applications to the industrial design process itself, or perhaps ID within a product development organization?

I see a practical application everywhere and anywhere! It has more effect if the organization can recognize the advantages and adopt it too, but you can make just your department more productive by using the methodology.

For example, I used to give deadlines for everything, even projects that were on the back burner or uncertain to advance outside of design. Moreover, I would limit the department work-in-progress so that the designers could focus on actually finishing projects. Those two small things that seem so common sense boost productivity at least 100% in my experience.

The difficult part after that is getting management to understand what one is doing. Because at the same time, I had to ignore daily emergencies to continue the focus. That requires political skill to pull off over an extended period of time.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby ralphzoontjens » May 7th, 2017, 9:34 am

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

The Guggenheim just released their digitized book collection for download, here is a great one on motorcycles:
https://ia801406.us.archive.org/20/item ... 00solo.pdf
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Postby MK19 » May 7th, 2017, 12:15 pm

MK19
step two
step two

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/178 ... UTF8&psc=1

I've bought this because it sounds really good in reviews etc. but do not have the time to read it any time soon.

Postby Moulty » May 22nd, 2017, 4:30 am

Moulty

I have been reading "The Org", best organization management book.
MilesWeb.com :: Shared Hosting | 24/7 Support
Cheap Linux VPS Hosting | WordPress Managed Hosting India

Postby slippyfish » May 22nd, 2017, 6:05 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

Halfway through 'DUNE', the masterpiece from Frank Herbert. Having seen the film at least a dozen times I initially had the unpleasant experience of comparing scenes with chapters, but that effect has diminished over the pages, and now I can absorb the writing and story for its own merits. It is astounding in scope, detail, and the creation of a consistent universe. I love how the prevailing thought or backstory is the law of the Butlerian Jihad - that machines should not replace humans. Computers and AI are outlawed, and as the story shows, are inferior to human intellect, instinct, and ingenuity.

I went ahead and got the hardcover with the foreword by Neil Gaiman; the cover design and embossing is very nice.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby Jestro » June 26th, 2017, 3:47 am

Jestro

Revolution from Above, the Demise of the Soviet System by David Kotz and Fred Weir. An academic book on the collapse of the Soviet Union. It's weird that I have lived through the event and know almost nothing about it.

Postby SashaCollectif » June 26th, 2017, 12:11 pm

SashaCollectif

The Global Brain, by Howard Bloom.
If you read it carefully, and without ego, it will change your view on life completely.

It changed my religion also.

I now believe that humans are like radio receivers - and consciousness is like WiFi. Reincarnation is not yourself entering a new body - it's a new body connecting with the old data cloud.

Previous

Return to off topic