Close

sambhram

I was wondering if someone could throw some light on modelmaking materials which are eco-friendly and sustainable. The high density foam is not only bad for the environment but also deadly if we inhaled it. The same goes for POP. I can see some filaments for 3D printing which are compostable/biodegradable. Apart from wood, is there any other material that has the same model making capacity as foam and eco-friendly?

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

I recommend for most processes 3D printing, you can also use balsa wood. An alternative is clay modeling which is best for form finding as well.
http://www.id-z.one
IDZone - Product Design || Visualisation || 3D Printing

yo
Administration
Administration

Some 3d printers are corn starch based.
Wood as mentioned. A lot of models used to be made out of wood in the old days.

sambhram

I had totally forgotten about clay modeling. Yes there are a lot of filaments for 3d printing which are turning out to be plant based. 3D printing is really time consuming. For quick form study, I believe clay and paper are good.

Rodrigo
step two
step two

Well, depending on which forms are you trying to emulate but paper and cardboard works really great. You can reach some complex 3D forms with 123D or pepakura!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Sometimes we take chances, sometimes we take pills.
Instagram

Re: Sustainable model making material alternatives

Postby yo » June 11th, 2018, 11:41 am

yo
Administration
Administration

have you ever done any quick mold making with Alginate? it is the substance that dentists use to make molds of your teeth and it is totally biodegradable. It usually only lasts for one cast:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... 966xbpbf_e

Return to general design discussion