Close

FONTS AND THEIR USE PROBLEM

Postby rooneysoccer » May 30th, 2018, 2:17 am

rooneysoccer

Ok so i'm a sophomore in Industrial Design at UC. One of my biggest problems i'm having in my presentations for classes and my portfolio is fonts. I don't really have a clear view on what sort of fonts to use for presentation and my biggest fear is going with something bland or old so i reach out and use different serif fonts and i get called out on it. So if anyone has any good articles to look into this sort of thing or if anyone can point me in the direction of some good font family to use that would be appriciated.

Re: FONTS AND THEIR USE PROBLEM

Postby ralphzoontjens » May 30th, 2018, 3:12 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hi,
The best thing to do besides picking a good font is learn to use a font well.
It is always better to use a single font in different variations.
We always keep our presentations as visual as possible since we are the ones doing the talking instead of the fonts.

It is old, but Helvetica Neue still works very well.

Other recommendations to start with:

- Gill Sans
- Garrison Sans
- Roboto
http://www.id-z.one
IDZone - Product Design || Visualisation || 3D Printing

Postby yo » May 30th, 2018, 11:04 am

yo
Administration
Administration

The way I like to think about it is your presentation should support the story you are trying to tell. Keep the type simple, direct, and focus people on the content, not the container.... in other words stick with the rule of KISS!

Postby NURB » May 30th, 2018, 11:09 am

NURB

Michael is right. Keep it simple. As for resources, there's years worth of discussion on font use scenarios out there, but your best bet is to use a simple sans-serif font. Serifs have a place, but take a certain amount of confidence and purpose to use them correctly. Presentation boards would be the last place I would look.

Some nice free fonts out there, check out Lost Type Co-Op. They've got some nice sans fonts, and even Google Fonts has some good examples. Roboto, as mentioned above, is pretty versatile especially for presentation work.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby yo » May 30th, 2018, 11:33 am

yo
Administration
Administration

A little bit of reading on Swiss graphic design always helps.

Postby jgabry » May 30th, 2018, 11:47 am

jgabry
step two
step two

One of the biggest mistakes I see ID students make is to over-design their presentation boards.
I strongly believe that a basic Graphic Design course (or two) should be a requirement of every ID program.
Not only for use in presentations but for your portfolio as well.

Listen to Michael and keep it simple.
Don't let a bad font choice/size distract from your design.
Never use Comic Sans.

https://fontsinuse.com/ is a good resource to see how fonts can be used and which ones might work well together.

Postby louis leblanc » May 30th, 2018, 12:12 pm

louis leblanc
step three
step three

Have a listen to this crashcourse:

Of course these rules can be broken but they're a good starting point, especially if you're having issues.

Pick a good font and possibly a good secondary font (like a nice sans-serif for titles and a serif for body text) and stick to it. Don't mix up all kinds of typographic elements, use a few sizes, setup a simple grid and you should be ok.

I have been using DIN everywhere for years. A nice bonus is that I can mix and match content I've produced into a website/portfolio and things don't clash.

Postby satyendra321 » May 31st, 2018, 3:02 am

satyendra321

You should use the most basic font which is readable by the user.

Postby ralphzoontjens » May 31st, 2018, 3:02 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

I have also seen too many that look either much too informal or too much like a sci-fi movie poster.
Going for an established Sans serif works well visuospatially and puts the focus on your design work where it needs to be.
I have also used Bell Gothic, Museo, Beta and Meta quite a lot.

Postby ralphzoontjens » May 31st, 2018, 3:06 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

Since type design has moved a lot in recent years with new popular fonts based on the old classics (e.g. Proxima Nova), I advise that if you want more information buy a recent book. My advice is Visual History of Type by Paul mcNeil.

Postby ralphzoontjens » May 31st, 2018, 3:10 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

satyendra321 wrote:You should use the most basic font which is readable by the user.

Yes, as long as the font works well in composition with its other elements.
You can in a way, design how the observer's eyes will move across your presentation, direct them to what is most important.
For example, a serif does not work freehanging in space, it needs a structure. Therefore it will attract too much attention to itself.
Thin, rounder fonts like Halifax and Garrison generally attract less attention while still remaining very legible.
And you want to avoid overused fonts like Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, even Univers, Futura and Myriad are now in that category but of course there is always the matter of taste :)

Postby bepster » May 31st, 2018, 9:41 am

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

Picking a good font is actually quite important. Just like all the other elements in your presentation, it speaks to your ability to design attractive and appropriate solutions.

One thing that I have been doing is to look at company websites that I like and speak to my design aestetic. Then I try to figure out what their corporate font is.
Here at Logi, we are using Brown and I am quite fond of it. It's clean, crisp and contemporary without being too stylized.

Postby AndyMc » June 1st, 2018, 7:43 am

AndyMc
step four
step four

Just don’t use Papyrus.

There’s a useful tool for Chrome called ‘whatfont’ that tells you what font and style a webpage is using. Unless working the font out is part of the challenge of course.

Postby NURB » June 1st, 2018, 8:22 am

NURB

Also, never use Trajan

Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Return to general design discussion