design on the go - computers

Okay so looking for feed back - it is time for me to get updated as it relates to my computer system when i travel, and i want to see what other designers think/use before i pull the trigger. keeping in mind i will also use this computer when im at the office

I run
Sketchbook pro
Solid works - the models are not very assembly heavy
Some quick SW renderings
Some key-shot vis. occasionally

I am looking at
https://us-store.wacom.com/Catalog/new-products/wacom-mobilestudio-16-s01#/undefined1

but am thinking there is more options out there.

Whoa, that’s a pretty sweet selection if you can swing it. The renderings might be a little slow going, but it’s got some decent power with the i7 and 4GB video RAM. Would be a pretty fun machine to have! I picked up a Lenovo Yoga 720 a few months ago that’s similarly spec’d, aside from not having the native Wacom support and less powerful video. It’s been nice, but I don’t really push it much. I reserve my bigger more powerful desktop for SW work/renderings.

Company budget :wink:

i have a fairly powerful dell laptop now with a 24" wacom monitor at my desk - so im trying to find something that gives me power and portability but will still also me dock to the 24" monitor when im in the office… (im trying to check with wacom if there unit does that as well)

or perhaps i have 2 computers -

Somebody I know at HP just made me aware of this:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/zbook-x360/index.html?jumpid=in_r12139_us/en/psg/dreamcolor_displays/products/zbook-x360-learn-more

His words: “Creative professionals - Your pixel crunching, keyshot rendering, video editing, Wacom pen capable, convertible powerhouse is here!”

Wow, that is perfect.
I like how they state that it comes with a wiping cloth.
This machine speaks for itself. Would definitely go for the 512SSD version.

My only point is that the processor is a quadcore, reasonably fast but not among the fastest if you check the benchmarks.
My octacore is 5 years old and faster.

Pretty sure that HP laptop is available with 6 cores/12 threads.

Holy hell that HP is a powerhouse… with native Wacom support, that thing should be incredible.

Yeah that Zbook looks pretty awesome, wonder what pricing availability will actually look like. Suspect that can turn into a $5K machine pretty quick.

I picked up a Lenovo Yoga 720 a few months ago that’s similarly spec’d, aside from not having the native Wacom support and less powerful video. It’s been nice, but I don’t really push it much. I reserve my bigger more powerful desktop for SW work/renderings.

I am doing the same thing and got a Yoga 520, just for tablet reading mode and I intend to use it as a sketch pad.
I picked up three different types of styluses from China but none of them work perfectly. @ChrisHaar Did you find one that works well ?

Bought a HP Spectre 360 2 Months ago. Damn I wish I had known what was coming.
Until now I am super satisfied with the Spectre, though.

Keen on seeing the pricing for the new models

mo-i

OK - so now we need a showdown between that new HP and the loaded SurfaceBook2 15". My SurfaceBook is still awesome, but I feel like I should upgrade it soon for that extra 2" of diagonal sketching space :stuck_out_tongue: Personally, I have a negative brand perceptions regarding HP (I owned / used too many crappy HP laptops back in the day) and I like the high quality details of my SurfaceBook.

Me too, and I assure you that they are still trash. Everything I own is HP and all has issues.
Including a (RRP £1,600) HP ZBook Studio G2 which is absolutely horrific. Never again will I buy a HP product in any form.

Hi-
I’ve had the yoga thinkpad p40 for a bit now and its replaced my workstation. SW and powersurfacing plugin also running Freeform modeling plus. The downside is that that my screen has crack ( closed it with popcorn kernal near hinge) and finding a replacement screens are not easy or cheap. Its still cracked and causes the pen to jump to the last half inch and stay a while. I cant really use sketch programs on it becuase od this. Overall its pretty good of you need nvidia quadro and wacom pen.

That hp 360 looks pretty good though!–

joe

I got a Yoga 520, just for tablet reading mode and I intend to use it as a sketch pad.
I picked up three different types of styluses from China but none of them work perfectly.

The Bamboo Ink stylus (the universal one not just for Samsung) works great and has enough sensitivity on the Yogas to do serious sketchwork.
I have to say that I am disappointed with the flipbook because the hinge causes the display to switch to a flickering grey screen quite often which makes it only useful if you keep it in tablet mode.