Close

Re: Dream Office

Postby BryanBrutherford » May 3rd, 2018, 7:34 am

BryanBrutherford
step four
step four

those look great to me, i have always found ways to build my primary workspace in to a fortress of solitude.

i'm a pretty social dude and love collaboration on concept and development projects but when it comes to the tasks that can only be solved by focused work i like to just put my head down and grind until the job is done. I have a hard time tuning out nearby distractions... have you ever tried to write a pitch while an animal of a salesman makes cold calls 10 feet away from you?
Ryan Rutherford
www.brutherford.com

Postby yo » May 3rd, 2018, 10:03 am

yo
Administration
Administration

I actually think more social people might have the hardest time with open offices, because we always have that "squirrel!" factor. The only way I've had open offices work for me personally is if they are pretty much creative discipline only. I don't mind another designer looking over my shoulder without notice, but I don't want someone from sales doing that.

Postby NURB » May 3rd, 2018, 4:15 pm

NURB

Where Midwest are you moving? Just curious.

Odd thing happened here recently. We had these 120 degree workstations put in with vertical walls between them.

(kind of like this, but with panel walls that are 54" tall)

We had left the top unfinished for a while because we couldn't decide what color of frosted acrylic to put in, so everyone could see the tops of peoples heads. It was loud, people complained for a while at first but got used to it. Couple weeks ago, we put in 6" tall dividers in, and suddenly...

It's quieter. Way quieter. BUT... people are collaborating more, communicating more, working together more. It's really odd, but it's great. It's a nice combination of openness and privacy, and I think people are really responding to it.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby BryanBrutherford » May 3rd, 2018, 11:24 pm

BryanBrutherford
step four
step four

NURB wrote:Where Midwest are you moving? Just curious.

i'm not moving anywhere, i get to build the creative team around me in NJ/PA the home office has been in Wichita for 30 years and we just moved from an old converted grocery store to a brand new, shiny, ultra modern 100sf corporate headquarters and warehouse. That office is mostly open plan, a huge room of desks divided by 48" walls the top 12" of which are frosted glass.
Ryan Rutherford
www.brutherford.com

Previous

Return to general design discussion