Close

Re: "Things are going digital"

Postby MK19 » March 25th, 2018, 4:32 pm

MK19
step three
step three

95% of how a student does at degree level is based on their natural ability and dedication to learning and getting things done. That is generally accepted fact in pedagogy. Doubling down and trying harder would never take that 2/3rds (a rough average that would be accurate in the UK) to significantly less.
Also that lecturer's comment left open the option to both moving abroad and 7 years of employment so they are arguably different.

Postby John_Mauriello » March 25th, 2018, 9:14 pm

John_Mauriello
step one
step one

Guys, don't forget: Even if you don't end up doing industrial design as your profession, a lot of the skills and thinking can be applied to other fields. So even if some or most of your students don't end up practicing industrial design professionally, they still are learning something that has value. I think that's probably what the professor in question here was thinking. He's actually a pretty well-established designer. He just was wrong on this particular thing.

Postby vidisha75 » March 26th, 2018, 7:25 am

vidisha75

I think as our digital world grows so everyone could rise to the top , Everyone need to be clear that mobile is the future of everything.You need to understand your business processes and models and clearly identify where there is the most friction and what’s the most painful part of your business.Digital is happening everywhere. It’s a tsunami where the wind seems to be blowing slowly, but at any point there could be a gale that blows everything sideways immediately.The important thing is not to get overwhelmed by the scope of digital transformation. Innovation is easier than ever to integrate into existing businesses in a modular, open fashion that scales across platforms and with existing partners and systems. We know that digital transformation is not a one-size-fits-all solution, but we have now learned how to package up innovation to make those transformations accessible, well-supported, and easily read.

Puri Aanand Vilas

Postby AVClub » March 26th, 2018, 7:40 am

AVClub
step three
step three

The "these jobs could move overseas" argument could be made for pretty much any job that doesn't require daily one-on-one interaction such as the service industry (Restaurants, parcel delivery, etc.).

Also, I googled "is X a dying career?" and pretty much everything I typed in had someone arguing it was dying, including programming :lol: .

Postby DigitalMe » April 11th, 2018, 1:37 pm

DigitalMe

Yeah, thing are really going digital. I mean, guys, even the money :) look at this cryptocurrence histeria. I've read an article that some people already have created the tecnology that allows us to buy real estate for bitcoins. it's so cool tho. Future is here :))) We definetely need to concentrate on the digital side of all our working skills. Also - i really like that fact that in the digital world we can work for any client in any country in the world without going out of the house.

Postby Blueberry_Squishy » April 11th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Blueberry_Squishy

This is an article that relates to some of the discussion in this thread. Personally, I'm always hugely skeptical of one line statements around technology. It's such a complex area.

https://anildash.com/2018/04/07/12-thin ... bout-tech/

Postby AVClub » April 12th, 2018, 7:42 am

AVClub
step three
step three

Blueberry_Squishy wrote:This is an article that relates to some of the discussion in this thread. Personally, I'm always hugely skeptical of one line statements around technology. It's such a complex area.

https://anildash.com/2018/04/07/12-thin ... bout-tech/

That was a nice, easy read, thanks! I really like this quote "Most importantly, just because a particular technology is “better” in some way doesn’t guarantee it will be widely adopted, or that it will cause other, more popular technologies to improve.
In reality, technological advances are a lot like evolution in the biological world: there are all kinds of dead-ends or regressions or uneven tradeoffs along the way, even if we see broad progress over time." This is so true and often forgotten, media makes it seem as if every tech (which is usually way more under-developed and far out than they think) is right around the corner and that the entire world will embrace it.

Postby designbreathing » April 14th, 2018, 3:36 am

designbreathing
step three
step three

AVClub wrote:
designbreathing wrote: What I am seeing now with GenZ here in Korea is that they have grown up 100 % digital and are now just beginning to explore the physical world. The complete opposite of generations before them. It is a game changer that is moving away from pure dematerialized digital lifestyles.

wow, super interesting, if you have a second could you elaborate? I find this fascinating.

Check it AVClub...

https://gizmodo.com/samsungs-smartphone-that-cant-connect-to-the-internet-i-1825236997
Form follows culture....

Nice to meet you...http://designsymbiosisblog.wordpress.com/

Postby AVClub » April 16th, 2018, 7:13 am

AVClub
step three
step three

designbreathing wrote:
AVClub wrote:
designbreathing wrote: What I am seeing now with GenZ here in Korea is that they have grown up 100 % digital and are now just beginning to explore the physical world. The complete opposite of generations before them. It is a game changer that is moving away from pure dematerialized digital lifestyles.

wow, super interesting, if you have a second could you elaborate? I find this fascinating.

Check it AVClub...

https://gizmodo.com/samsungs-smartphone-that-cant-connect-to-the-internet-i-1825236997

Ahhh! Interesting... I have considered getting the Punkt Phone and "disconnecting" but I don't believe it is available in my area.

Previous

Return to general design discussion