Close

Which methods do you use to identify problems?

Postby fullstudio » February 25th, 2018, 2:38 pm

fullstudio

Hey

I'd like to know how do you get in to problems to solve? Do you seek to realize everytime in your daily life and write down notes or are there any websites to find out problems in particular to create a product based on those problems?

For me, I always start with searching on web (bc it is the easiest but the most inefficient way to start with) and try to find out problems out of news and articles. Sometimes, if I have the time in my daily life, I look for the opportunity to talk with people I think that may have issues to dig out.

If you can suggest sources -books or websites- that would be great!

Thanks.

Re: Which methods do you use to identify problems?

Postby iab » February 26th, 2018, 8:28 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Observation of current solutions is best. They are everywhere. As soon as humans get into the habit of doing anything, it is "good" and don't think of alternative ways of accomplishing the same thing. Yesterday's solution is today's problem. Your solution of course needs to be better than the existing one, but that is obvious.

Second, i have the luxury of being in the medical industry. A part of a clinicians continuing ongoing education is many times measuring problems in the clinical setting. They will first publish these as posters at trade shows, then sometimes as a paper in a trade journal. We tend to view the hundreds of posters at the trade shows and look for the new trend in problems. Many times they also publish there "solution" but nearly always it has never gone through the iterative process and usually is substandard.

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

If you are an independent designer or entrepreneur, it is good to focus first on a specific target market, one way to success is to find an unoccupied niche. Beyond problem-solution thinking, also look at the entire system that is occurring - often people are involved in too many and high complex task arrangements to reach what they want. Simple contextual observations are the best means, and later you can intervene with your own solutions and installations to see what effect your design has - we call this creating an Experiential Design Landscape.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Return to general design discussion