3D printer for my home

Okay i know this topic shows up all the time, i wanted to see if there are any recommendations for a home 3D printer

I have landed on the one below - but i am far from being a expert in this area. My goal is to stay under $1000.00 (this unit has one at a g. with a 24"x24" print) but i like the 500 dollar price tag…

[ Deleted ]

I posted this previously on another discussion, but would definitely be useful for you. This is a Reddit thread dedicated to 3D printing and aimed mostly at a hobbyist level (ie under $1000):

But they have a monthly megathread where people can state their needs, price, location etc and then others offer their recommendations (this is for February but be sure to search previous months as well):

I’m yet to pull the trigger on one too, but I’m with Keno and the Prusa MK3…

I’d advise on getting the Prusa over the CR-10. Because direct drive. If you’ll ever want to print flexible materials (and you will) you’ll need a direct drive (not a bowden type) machine. I have a TEVO Black Widow myself. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

[ Deleted ]

Also, one small thing that can get overlooked is noise, especially if it’s going in your home.
That’s 1 thing I don’t like about open bed printers, it can be a bit loud.
Atleast my Makergear M2 is, not sure how much a closed bed seals off noise comparatively?

If you really want to get into it then this may be a great resource. Machines, filament, replacement parts, tech support, custom machines, etc.

What we are really all waiting for is desktop SLS machines with a decent build volume.

Meanwhile, the Prusa i3 is fantastic! It is fast and can work with many different materials including Filaflex. The quality is awesome.
I also recommend Wanhao, am still very happily running a 5s Mini.
The CR-10 is less reliable.

The most important thing is that you buy a trusted brand.
Check out the discussions on 3DPB.com as well.

I have that printer and it is awesome. I have had several and it has the best build quality and size for the money… or even 3 times that amount.

Holtag and everyone, thank you for the advice, and i have set on the Prusa (build kit so i can save a few hundered and assemble it myself)

My sons have already probably requested $200 worth of D&D figures in material :cry:

That’s great news cwatkinson, your sons are going to love it. Please keep us posted on how you get on!