Close

Re: pay cut?

Postby IDiot » February 1st, 2018, 3:13 pm

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization

I understand it is not too far from where you are now, but is the cost of living in that area significantly different?

If not, or if it is for the positive, I think I would follow my passion, HOWEVER I would not lose sight of the pay cut you took and work towards righting the course as soon as you land. I took a "pay cut" after a layoff in an industry I was certainly happy to find myself in, but I think I let my pay slide with little to no discussion for a too long and it eventually served as a contributing factor to leaving a job I and a company I really loved.

Postby RyanDickman » February 9th, 2018, 2:35 pm

RyanDickman

Hello!

First time posting on here.

Yes, taking a pay cut for a more fun job is a worthwhile thing to do!

I did it and don’t regret it. The last job I had was going nowhere, but the money was there. I took about a 20% paycut to move jobs, but it’s been much more fun. However, my wife and I didn’t have kids at the time. I’ve proven myself at the new gig, and we have kids now. Bottom line is, my next move will probably have to do more with money, rather than fun..unless we figure out a way to move off grid to the middle of nowhere and do design..I’d consider a paycut for that..hmm.

Postby yo » February 9th, 2018, 5:26 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

tommyle, what did you decide to do?

Postby tommyle » February 9th, 2018, 5:41 pm

tommyle
step two
step two

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Yo I ended up taking the new job :) I start next week, and I finally feel excited about going to work. I'm confident I will be happy about this decision for the job, but also for the talented folks i will learn from

Postby yo » February 9th, 2018, 6:36 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Congratulations! Best of luck with it!

Postby FH13 » February 9th, 2018, 7:39 pm

FH13
step four
step four

Awesome, congrats.
The next 1-2 years of working with other designers and being mentored will be worth more than they pay cut you just took....and to top it all off, you're already happier.

Postby JacobHill » March 11th, 2018, 8:08 am

JacobHill

I think yes, i would do that.

Postby ralphzoontjens » March 13th, 2018, 2:29 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

It wouldn't be so much my affinity with the industry being the deciding factor, more so the autonomy and growth opportunities that the company offers as well as the overall culture of course. But being that industrial designers just don't get a very decent salary in the Netherlands while already having to work very hard, you will usually aim for a raise. A more interesting industry typically also pays more since that's where the money is - be aware of iffy situations where you may get underpaid.
http://www.id-z.one
IDZone - Product Design || Visualisation || 3D Printing

Previous

Return to general design discussion