Magic Leap ???

Boy, I can’t wait to wear the new Magic Leap headset!!! :open_mouth:

Great. We get to wear these and walk through that ‘Hyper-Reality’ video madness. Stop the future, I want to get off.

One could charitably classify this design as either a fun, clunky v1.0 release, or perhaps partaking of the ‘maximalist’ fashion trend.

I expected more from this group.

I am seeing oldskool Oakley in the Dennis Rodman era and am kinda digging it :sunglasses:

If you read the text, this is clearly a dev kit designed for software developers to get started with the platform. The same as the Oculus DK1, Vive, or Hololens. All of them are/were clunky and unattractive products associated with strapping a million sensors to your head.

If the technology proves to work as well as it was described, it has huge potential which is why the worlds giants have invested $2B into it.

Its not clear from the text in that link to engadget - maybe I had to listen to the volume in the report - and they talk about introducing it to the ‘world’ and being available to the general public. Nitpicking over semantics. Anyway…the ID could stand to be improved as either a dev kit or consumer product - the majority of the arm-chair reviews I’ve seen were not charitable to the ID.

So was the Microsoft Hololens (that even is the most comparable tech-wise, I guess) and that didn’t look like this abdomination. They secured BILLIONS of dollars of funds so I don’t think we should let them get away with THAT too easily. I am sure there would have been a few dollars left for some decent designers.

I saw someone on LinkedIn called them Urkel Glasses…

I had a fun argument/debate with a VP about whether competency in one area of a company was an indicator of competency or excellence in another. For example, Amazon’s principle of frugality meant that you as an employee had better be OK with a door on sawhorses as a work table. (I think they have improved this a little bit now). Our debate was on how much $ to spend sprucing up the outside of our HQ building; his take was "well, when they see that our paint is faded on our facade and we don’t have a fancy sign, they’ll think ‘hmmm they must spend all their time on their products’.
My comeback was ‘when you drive past a neighbors house and see that their yard is a mess, do you think hmmm well I bet they can cook really well?’ (nope)

Point being if this is to someday be a consumer product, they could make even an early dev kit more desirable/appealing to a wide CE market. Unless its intended to be for the Urkels/Rodmans/don’t care if you look like the Cherno Alpha pilots from Pacific Rim. Maybe that’s cool.

I don’t think they’ll ever market this for wide CE appeal. The expected cost is likely to be the holo lens, which means this initial system could cost well over $3-5k putting it well outside the realm of even the Hololens.

Even the Oculus DK1 was dinky and awful for a relatively “simple” product by comparison. All of these products make you look like a tool, I don’t think theres a way around that. I’d be more interested in how the ergonomics are for long use. IE have they addressed any of the typical problems that these headsets have re: sweat, fitment, weight, cable stiffness, etc.

At the end of the day, it may be oddly styled, but it’s a very complex piece of tech and for a dev kit/early adopter piece of tech I think it’s hard to argue that it’s “worse” in any way than any other 1st gen nerd headset out there.

Fair points. I forgot how odd those gen 1 versions were.