Close

Culture at your company

Postby AVClub » December 15th, 2017, 2:24 pm

AVClub
step three
step three

If you have a great culture at your work, what are some things that you think make it so awesome? This is a topic that interests me and I would be curious what things you enjoy that could possibly be tried out at the org I work for!

Re: Culture at your company

Postby ammargroup » December 16th, 2017, 5:00 am

ammargroup

understand your work properly over work

Postby bloggins » December 17th, 2017, 12:22 am

bloggins

transparency / balance of teamwork and autonomy / open office / sit-stand workstations / Aeron Chair or Equal / flexible hours / upward mobility / aligned with same ethics and standards / no dress code / natural air & light / no cubicles / a good and present producer who is fully engaged / regular client meetings and reviews / art director or creative director who is closely integrated with the team and understands the medium / fellow teammates and organization have knowledge sharing and no internal competition or hidden agendas / good rates of pay and or benefits / option to work from home or own office when not needed on site / decent parking / located in Los Angeles / 3D Specific

Postby Karen_Bridges » December 21st, 2017, 8:29 am

Karen_Bridges

Good management and clearly set tasks.
I'd upvote the second one. It's very frustrating, when no one can tell you exactly how you can achieve the expected results, and you get all the blame, when you're not using the methods you were supposed to use (like you knew!). That's actually one of the reasons why I quit my previous job.

Postby AVClub » December 22nd, 2017, 11:53 am

AVClub
step three
step three

Thanks for the responses everyone! Culture is really interesting to me, especially companies like Zappos with a very unique culture. From what I have read, Zappos potential employees go through a 4 month long courtship where they attend social events etc. with different team members who then vote on whether or not to let them proceed to the next step. At the end they are given a choice: You can leave the company and receive $3000 to never return, and you will never be aloud to work for Zappos ever, or you can take the job. Although rigorous, I'm sure it weeds out bad employees very quickly!

Postby Mrog » December 22nd, 2017, 1:38 pm

Mrog
step three
step three

That sounds absolutely terrible.

Postby KenoLeon » December 22nd, 2017, 3:01 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Testing for culture fit is just another way of saying we discriminate, just covertly, most companies have these lawyer mandated bullshit non discrimination clauses, and then they want to see if you get along with Jeff, which hates blacks,hispanics and should only be spoken to in rhymes.

If a companies culture is inclusive, welcoming and nurturing to all, then why test ? If it can take flawed people (are there any other type ?) and make them happy, productive workers measuring them solely by their contribution I think those are signs of a good culture...

From Hire me Not
beverageFit.jpg
He’s trained to smell excellence.
beverageFit.jpg (49.43 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby Mr-914 » December 28th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Mr-914

I agree with Keno about inclusive culture. It you are accepting, you should have a diverse staff and not really test to see if someone fits (other than the no-a-hole rule).

A few things that I found help:

lunches. Eating together builds a team. Pot lucks are fun for getting some discussions going too.

Be honest to the nature of the group. Organizing an after work laser-tag competition is not for every team. The team activities need to come from within the team.

The leader needs to be a bit of a mirror. A leader who boasts culture all the time and then follows their own rules is doomed to lose the respect of the team.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby AVClub » December 29th, 2017, 9:35 am

AVClub
step three
step three

Good point with the element of discrimination. I don't agree this is the intent behind these approaches, but it definitely could allow it to happen much easier. I do think though to some of my past jobs, one in particular where I worked with a company of VERY conservative people (not just political, but religious, socially, etc) which is fine, and I got along with all of them on a day to day but I never felt very connected, it just wasn't my tribe. I was recently listening to the podcast "How I built this" and they were talking to the owner and founder of the company Patagonia. He talked a lot about their culture and it was extremely fascinating. Some things that stuck out were their lack (intentionally) of designated leadership. They hire people to get the job done and trust they will use their time however best suits them. Want to go surfing? Do it, just make sure your work is getting done.

Postby KenoLeon » December 29th, 2017, 11:34 am

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

AVClub wrote:the owner and founder of the company Patagonia. He talked a lot about their culture and it was extremely fascinating. Some things that stuck out were their lack (intentionally) of designated leadership. They hire people to get the job done and trust they will use their time however best suits them. Want to go surfing? Do it, just make sure your work is getting done.

I used to live on the next town up north from Patagonias HQ, so through the years I met a number of employees...I had heard this "story" before and thought that sounds awesome, so I usually asked them how it was working over there, without getting into the nasty details, some were really disgruntled and hated the culture, they specifically pointed out to favoritism rather than merit as a way to advance within the company, and some explicitly referred to that surfing story as a myth that only applies to a few employees.

I can't corroborate beyond those anecdotes, but I would be cautious to judge a companies culture by what their founder says, glassdoor might be a better gauge.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Postby AVClub » December 29th, 2017, 12:08 pm

AVClub
step three
step three

KenoLeon wrote:
AVClub wrote:the owner and founder of the company Patagonia. He talked a lot about their culture and it was extremely fascinating. Some things that stuck out were their lack (intentionally) of designated leadership. They hire people to get the job done and trust they will use their time however best suits them. Want to go surfing? Do it, just make sure your work is getting done.

I used to live on the next town up north from Patagonias HQ, so through the years I met a number of employees...I had heard this "story" before and thought that sounds awesome, so I usually asked them how it was working over there, without getting into the nasty details, some were really disgruntled and hated the culture, they specifically pointed out to favoritism rather than merit as a way to advance within the company, and some explicitly referred to that surfing story as a myth that only applies to a few employees.

I can't corroborate beyond those anecdotes, but I would be cautious to judge a companies culture by what their founder says, glassdoor might be a better gauge.

There's two sides to every story, and i'm sure for some it didn't work as well for their work style, especially the ones who need to be babysat and can't be self sufficient, and some others just need more structure, which is fine. There's definitely not a one size fits all, but I am finding this conversation helpful and I think there are elements that could help our culture (not that its bad, just could be refreshing to try some things new)

Postby KenoLeon » December 29th, 2017, 12:54 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

@AVClub:

Not to beat this one company to the ground ( I am sitting my ass on one of their nice jackets ), but this is the current review on glassdoor:

Upper management in this department has little to no knowledge (or education ) in apparel workmanship. SO if you play dumb, stroke their ego & kiss fat bottoms daily then you'll be praised. Know a little too much and you become a threat...immediate name onto the "hunting the pray" list.
Overall, department and company is filled with fake team spirit, pretending their not broke becasue the pay is usually lower …

Abusive managers go no punishment from HR , making it clear to emplyoees in this department that HR will ALWAYS support management over "workers".
Too many dorky transplants as incompitant, prancing around with their "wishes" and "inspirations" with no concept of progressive or happening trends.
DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE.

I guess it is equally hard to test for company culture, Patagonia is an interesting example since a lot of the comments point to a degrading in the culture values as time has passed,but those culture values were also narrow from the start: environmentalist, democratic, a bit new agey, free spirit. Are those universal values ?

If you are truly interested in this subject, I guess coming up with some basic workers rights and then add extras would be a reasonable place to start no ?
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Postby ralphzoontjens » March 9th, 2018, 5:50 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

One of the things important is that, next to a good and productive group atmosphere, the company never loses track of individual goals and wishes of people in the company. In the end, it is great management/coaching setting up occasional one-on-one meetings that does this. People need a way to develop and exploit their talents and if it can be done in a work environment, all the better!
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Postby MichaelRoberts » March 15th, 2018, 8:56 am

MichaelRoberts

First of all, you need to be a good person. Anything else will be good too.

Postby Generatewhatsnext » March 15th, 2018, 9:02 am

Generatewhatsnext
full self-realization
full self-realization

I've never worked anywhere that didn't have a ping pong table, nor would I. :wink:
Scott Snider
Partner, Product Development
Generator, inc.
http://www.generatewhatsnext.com
http://www.twitter.com/generatewhtsnxt
http://www.linkedin.com/company/1023934

Go to the Next Page

Return to general design discussion