Marijuana design

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were discussing the coming legalization of marijuana for personal use in Canada. As a designer, I thought, “oh no, here comes every nut case with a stupid novelty bong idea”. However, has anyone seen any really great designs for marijuana use or growth in Colorado, Washington, the Netherlands or somewhere else that it is legal already?

I can literally make a bong out of anything.

:wink:

I saw this one a while back. Its actually had some research and thought put into it, and definetely seems like an improvement on a water bottle with a pipe in it ^^^

A lot of nice product design has gone in to vaporizers. There are the simple pens a lot of people use but there are some high end devices like the Pax which actually have considered some UX/ID.

Hookah, so technically not for marijuana, but still beautiful: http://thousandandone.org

Andy and Brian: Great stuff! I knew there must be some out there!

What I’m looking forward to as a designer is getting past the bong culture and into the medicinal value of Cannabis.

I’ve been approached by a few companies looking into the medical or luxury aspect of it. I think it will quickly move away from stoner culture. There is so much money in it… that other kind of green.

The vape industry trade shows in Shanghai are so huge! East Asia does not have the legacy of the 70s USA stoner culture, so the design challenge is different in the east Asian markets.

Anyone who has used a pinch hitter to conceal, transport, load, toke and optimize the problem of 2nd hand smoke will might possibly find the PAX ux/ui a really poor solution. On the other hand if marijuana is now legal, then why not apply conspicuous consumption design methodology that is utilized in the consumer electronics industry? Shenzhen (ground zero for electronics design and mfg) is now the global trend setter in the vaporization of most any substance. Cross pollinate this trend with 2 opium wars from the 19th century and you have some very interesting cafe destinations and retail design concepts begin to bubble and fizz…

The all-time craziest design request I got was for a $500,000 3.3’ high golden hookah for an Emirate client.
That said, a modern bong design is probably one of the best smoking methods, with batteries for electric devices exploding in pockets and all…

I think this is a really interesting area as well, has anyone here seen much design around from the medical cannabis perspective?

That particular one got a lot of attention, I’m sure there’s more out there, although they don’t seem to have hit mainstream quite yet. Maybe in a few years every students folio will have a bong in it :laughing:

Did you do the project?!

aura is a nice piece (I think still in concept form but trying to push for production? correct me if I’m wrong)

pax 3:

industrial equipment is getting some love as well:
twister t4:

nice.

What I’m looking forward to as a designer is getting past the bong culture and into the medicinal value of Colorado.
Andy! Great stuff! I knew there must be some out there!