Close

Design Meccas in Europe

Postby Brian_Donlin » August 10th, 2017, 9:06 am


Brian_Donlin
step three
step three
 
Posts: 113
Joined: June 3rd, 2015, 11:21 am
Location: Chicago
Later this summer I'm going on a ~9 day trip to Europe for the first time! I'll be going solo, so I can visit all the design spots I want without having to worry about companions getting bored. Where should I go?

Re: Design Meccas in Europe

Postby Mrog » August 10th, 2017, 2:35 pm


Mrog
step three
step three
 
Posts: 120
Joined: July 12th, 2013, 7:03 am
Location: Germany
There are 44 countries in Europe with a total population of ~750 million people :wink:
I guess you know what I am getting at.

Re: Design Meccas in Europe

Postby bepster » August 11th, 2017, 3:06 am

User avatar

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: January 11th, 2006, 6:55 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland
While it's true that there is a lot of diversity in Europe, you can definitely find certain areas that are more concentrated in a certain design industry than others.
Do you have a specific interest or area you'd like to check out or learn more about?
Such as Automotive or furniture?

Another option could be to see if there are any design weeks, festivals or fairs going on at that time.

In general, I would probably just try to find places that would inspire you the most and take in the culture, architecture, food and art.
So for example, I find Copenhagen more inspiring than Rome but there are definitely many others that would think differently.

Re: Design Meccas in Europe

Postby ralphzoontjens » August 11th, 2017, 6:52 am

User avatar

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four
 
Posts: 580
Joined: February 3rd, 2010, 10:20 am
Location: Tilburg, the Netherlands
For a 9-day trip, I recommend 2 days in London, visiting the Tate, then to Amsterdam for a day by boat (to Hoek van Holland), taking the train to Paris for 2 days and ending your summer in Barcelona.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Re: Design Meccas in Europe

Postby Brian_Donlin » August 11th, 2017, 9:39 am


Brian_Donlin
step three
step three
 
Posts: 113
Joined: June 3rd, 2015, 11:21 am
Location: Chicago
Mrog wrote:There are 44 countries in Europe with a total population of ~750 million people :wink:
I guess you know what I am getting at.

Yeah, it was a pretty broad question, I know haha.

bepster wrote:While it's true that there is a lot of diversity in Europe, you can definitely find certain areas that are more concentrated in a certain design industry than others.
Do you have a specific interest or area you'd like to check out or learn more about?
Such as Automotive or furniture?

Another option could be to see if there are any design weeks, festivals or fairs going on at that time.

In general, I would probably just try to find places that would inspire you the most and take in the culture, architecture, food and art.
So for example, I find Copenhagen more inspiring than Rome but there are definitely many others that would think differently.

Yes, that last bit is exactly what I'm looking for. A place where I can just absorb the whole culture. I actually did have Copenhagen in mind, but wasn't sure if there were other places like that.

ralphzoontjens wrote:For a 9-day trip, I recommend 2 days in London, visiting the Tate, then to Amsterdam for a day by boat (to Hoek van Holland), taking the train to Paris for 2 days and ending your summer in Barcelona.

That sounds awesome. What kind of stuff should I check out in Amsterdam? I don't really know anything about it.


Return to general design discussion