Branding Help

Hi all,

I need some help coming up with a company name. I have a background in Architecture, and I’m now designing and trying to sell shoes. I need a brand name :slight_smile:

I am trying to give the brand a minimal, design-forward, sophisticated feel. The designs are similar to brands like COS, & other stories, REFORMATION, acne studios etc. I’m manufacturing ethically and giving 10% to a worthy cause.

I would like the brand name to be a little post-modern, with a reference to architecture. I really like the name “Founding”, because it refers to ‘foundation’, which is like a foundation to the body, and it also alludes to ‘founding/funding’ good causes.

I’m very stuck, can anyone please give me any feedback if you heard this brand name, would it appeal to you at all?

You should think about hiring a branding firm. Check out: http://miriello.com

I think “Founding” could work, especially because you already have a bit of a story to go with it. But SEO might not be great.

Yeah, don’t crowd source your name. Not a good start to business.

Thanks Brian. I guess if people search for “founding” followed by “shoes” it will be okay. and the domain would have to be founding’studio’ or founding’store’.

I found it unbelievably difficult to come up with a name that has an available domain. And after a while you just can’t think straight anymore…

Is this crowd sourcing? Do you think it’s a bad idea? how come?

Branding should be a strategic process. Pretty difficult to do it based on a few words…

I’ve done branding for several footwear and other brands. Feel free toor PM me if interested.

R

And yet you felt compelled to post something utterly and completely useless !!! If you can’t add something to the conversation – don’t post.

Hi,

I really appreciate your thoughts! Yes, ‘Founding’ is a good name to me. If you are still in need of selecting a brand and domain name, then here are few things that you should check when considering a domain name:

1. User Perspective: Your brand/domain name needs to be easy to read, easy to remember, and easy to say.

2. Brand Perspective: It is better to have the brand name as domain name. The domain needs the right extension and uniqueness.

3. SEO Perspective:

If you are selecting a brand name that doesn’t describe your products at all, then go with it as long as it is unique.
If you selecting or seeking a name that will focus on products too with the intent of unique branding then you should care about relevance and search terms (only seed keywords like Brandname+shoes).
It is not good to use EMD. also, you can consult an SEO company (like https://qodemedia.com or any other qualified SEO companies) if you need to know more SEO for selecting an SEO friendly domains. My recommendation is to go with just a unique brand name.

1. Legal Perspective- It is a wise step if you think about the copyright & trademark at the beginning. It will secure your future steps in branding and networking. Just go to the sites that provide data on exists trademarks and copyright information like copyright[.]gov and others and confirm you are using a unique brand name.

Source: https://problogger.com/4-things-to-consider-when-choosing-your-domain-name/

Thanks

+All that was said above

Crowdsourcing IMO is only good for initial brainstorming rounds to explore the scope of options.

To have a story, start with the product! Make sure that people love the shoes, and will remain loyal to your shoes for good reasons.
Many brands you describe as post-modern have great appeal but do not provide the sustainable value to get customers to stick with your brand.
I agree the best thing is to either go in-depth developing your own brand if you have the resources, or go to a branding firm preferably one that knows the fashion business.

For me, Founding is a good and recognizable name that sticks. You can always transmute it to something like Foundin’ (url found.in), Found’d or FOUND3D.

Other ideas/directions - consoles, Tensio (url tens.io), Pose/s’pose, Smool, Stratch, Touch, Raak (means touch in Dutch)

Founding is a far better brand name then funding for your “shoe” business. You need to work on finding a suitable domain name for a good start. Get a website developed and promote your products on Social media as well.