Close

Oh -- Porsche

Postby Dan Lewis » April 3rd, 2017, 2:21 pm

Dan Lewis
step four
step four

Porsche has officially lost its way -- so wrong in so many ways. I thought is was an April Fools joke.

https://www.pca.org/sites/default/files/Porsche-Panamera-Sport-Turismo-Woosdie-lead.jpg

I'm a longtime Porschefile and so sad!!!!!!

Re: Oh -- Porsche

Postby Winslow_Harte » April 3rd, 2017, 6:23 pm

Winslow_Harte

from pca.org ... 'If you wish to sign up, it is highly recommended you call a special hotline for this exciting new car: 1-800-APR-FOOL.'

Postby Mr-914 » April 4th, 2017, 6:45 am

Mr-914

That's the coolest thing I've seen from Porsche since the 993.

Is it just me, or is it an improvement on the Pana? It looks less fat with the wood appliqué.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby FH13 » April 4th, 2017, 11:48 am

FH13
step four
step four

I hope it's customizable, maybe you can change the applique color or material...maybe carbon fiber, felt or space grade aluminum....
Awesome, what was the phone number again?

Postby Winslow_Harte » April 4th, 2017, 11:49 am

Winslow_Harte

Mr-914 wrote:That's the coolest thing I've seen from Porsche since the 993.

Is it just me, or is it an improvement on the Pana? It looks less fat with the wood appliqué.

993 is the last great aircooled porsche.. but their design has been anything but lacking.

as for the pana.. the saying 'You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig' seems fitting.

Postby Mr-914 » April 4th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Mr-914

Their design has become gaudy and ridiculous. MHO.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby Winslow_Harte » April 4th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Winslow_Harte

if that isn't the most blanket statement about design... :wink:

Postby Sydneysider » April 5th, 2017, 7:50 am

Sydneysider

You can ask yourself what became of this sports car maker, but in the end it is business. And if you want a real sports car you have to go to one of the really small companies or to Mazda :-). I was driving for a few years a Porsche, a great car, and I drove also a Audi A2, also a great car. And I asked myself at the time why nobody builds a car with a light aluminium frame like the Audi and a small but powerful turbo diesel? Could be really fun, what do you think?

Postby Mr-914 » April 5th, 2017, 11:58 am

Mr-914

Done and done. Well, no alu. frame, but still, pretty close.

I do agree, it's business. Some people are willing to spend unlimited amounts of money for more power and more pretentiousness. Very few are willing to pay a modest sum for a well built simple car.
Ray Jepson

Postby Winslow_Harte » April 5th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Winslow_Harte

because a smart roadster isnt 'gaudy and ridiculous' :lol:

at least pick something semi-decent looking like TTrs

Postby yo » April 5th, 2017, 2:53 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Interesting. I think the current Porsche language is really nice. I think some of the special editions get a little out of hand (looking at you GT3). While we can debate should Porsche make an SUV (which I don't like but it saved the brand) or should the 911 be so large, for me, the core design executions are very on brand. When you see a Cayane, Macan, Panamera, or Cayman you know it is a Porsche. Good use of surfacing and detailing to create a design language, both exterior and interior. In a way these models feel much more Porsche than a 928 (a car I love) or a 944.

Postby Mr-914 » April 6th, 2017, 6:51 am

Mr-914

Yo: I agree, but I don't need to like it:)

Winslow: I think the Smart Roadster design was driven by it's platform and manufacturing techniques (plastic panels bolted to a steel frame). Moreover, the brand DNA was always different than Porsche.

When I talk to my dad and other car guys his age (65+), they talk about the 356 as being the sportscar you buy if you don't want to show off. A '62 corvette had gaudy style and 250+ hp. A 356 looked almost as pedestrian as a VW and had at most 95 hp. That's the Porsche that I liked:/ Albeit, they would be bankrupt today if they hadn't changed.
Ray Jepson

Postby no_spec » April 6th, 2017, 8:18 am

no_spec
full self-realization
full self-realization

oh, but stick a couple of surf boards on top, and you'd all eat your words!

Postby Cyberdemon » April 6th, 2017, 10:36 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

It's hard to ask for a better budget sports car than a Miata. Unless you're 6'4 like me in which case, larger cars suddenly make a lot more sense.

The Toyota 86/BRZ had a lot of potential, but it feels very stale already.

Postby Mr-914 » April 6th, 2017, 11:16 am

Mr-914

The 86 was kinda like the FJ-cruiser. A little off target.

The original 86 was a dorky square box that could handle well. Kinda like the original Mini. They were both designed to be utilitarian, but they were fun to drive too. The new 86 is not utilitarian, it's just a sports car. If you were going to build a sportscar, why start your inspiration at the original 86? It's confusing.
Ray Jepson

Go to the Next Page

Return to general design discussion