Close

Re: NO! bad designer, dumb idea!

Postby MK19 » April 18th, 2017, 11:27 am

MK19
step two
step two

skyarrow wrote:
MK19 wrote:
AVClub wrote:One of my first (And still one of my favorite) student projects was a clock that told time by sound, but when I was concepting I had this idea "What if you could talk to the clock and say things like 'Play Rock Playlist' or 'Whats the weather today?'" and I felt like the technology was not far away because things like siri existed in basic form. My classmates and a certain professor told me that no one would ever want something like that because its already available on your phone and tablet. A Year and half or so later, Amazon Echo was released...

Hopefully we can have AI at the level seen in Her soon, except not for relationships!

Why NOT for relationships? Why put arbitrary limits on it? If people can experience a meaningful and healthy interaction with an OS (or app, or whatever), why would we deny them that?

Well I guess that is something to debate if and when it is proven that it is healthy and/or meaningful. I mean, to an extent any relationship is meaningless because we die one day, but whether or not it is psychologically helpful to be told what you want to hear and for your "partner" to just be and do what you want without question is another question. In reality couples argue, are not perfectly aligned in interests and world view, etc.

Postby Mr-914 » April 18th, 2017, 11:28 am

Mr-914

skyarrow wrote:Why NOT for relationships? Why put arbitrary limits on it? If people can experience a meaningful and healthy interaction with an OS (or app, or whatever), why would we deny them that?

I think humanity needs to focus a little more on human-human relationships before we worry about human-machine. In fact, I think AI could obscure many of our own problems and lead us to avoid self-improvement.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby MK19 » April 18th, 2017, 1:45 pm

MK19
step two
step two

I was going to say the same but didn't want to offend anyone who may desire to have an AI partner. AI personalities will face many of the same problems which came up in Her. What personality does the AI take? If it's not one to your liking then you're not going to buy it or use it, if it is to your liking then you are just going to be self-serving and going to be less capable of dealing with real people who will not just agree with you, just do what you want, be exactly who you want them to be. It is a dangerous and slippery slope.

Postby skyarrow » April 18th, 2017, 1:54 pm

skyarrow
step four
step four

Mr-914 wrote:
skyarrow wrote:Why NOT for relationships? Why put arbitrary limits on it? If people can experience a meaningful and healthy interaction with an OS (or app, or whatever), why would we deny them that?

I think humanity needs to focus a little more on human-human relationships before we worry about human-machine. In fact, I think AI could obscure many of our own problems and lead us to avoid self-improvement.

I don't necessarily disagree, but my opinion is that human-machine relationships are not a question of "if" but instead are a matter of "when". It's going to happen, so I think the sooner we start worrying about it, the better.

@MK19
You are right that whether or not a relationship is "healthy" is a question I'll leave to psychologists and sociologists (among others). I am just asking a question under an assumption that an OS finally gets to a point that can mimic human interaction. If a person can find value and growth in a relationship with a machine, I'm certainly not one to say "no".

On the surface, it all sounds cold and inhuman, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if that necessarily has to be true.
"See, how it works is, the train leaves and not the station"

Postby MK19 » April 18th, 2017, 6:52 pm

MK19
step two
step two

skyarrow wrote:
Mr-914 wrote:
skyarrow wrote:If a person can find value and growth in a relationship with a machine, I'm certainly not one to say "no".

I'm no psychologist but I believe from my limited understanding in the field that there is a big difference between a human and what AI could ever be. There are factors beyond electro chemical reactions in the brain to what makes a human a human, and they include things like being self-conscious of ones own body and physical surrounding in relation to it. I will try and remember the documentary I saw regarding why this is important because I understand it but certainly couldn't explain it to someone else.

Previous

Return to general design discussion