Close

How do you organize your computer files ?

Postby KenoLeon » February 20th, 2017, 4:57 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hi Core:

I am trying to pack/backup all my digital/physical belongings,( some 15 years of projects ) , the physical stuff is easy, the digital stuff on the other hand I feel I am always threading water, in general, how do you organize your computer files ?

I'll go first, this has been evolving during the years:

I have 3 computers I usually work from 2 pcs one mac, in each one there are a set of main folders on the desktop :

- ID : design
- each project gets a new folder,
- Inside each project there is usually a lot of work files.pictures etc.
- there are also general folders like reference,tools,Legal etc.
- Dev:software
- same deal as for I.D, although there are differences (some folders are both work and archive)
- Personal Pictures,and things that mostly revolve around me.

Other interests get their own mayor folders in some computers:

- Music
- Neuroscience
- Manga

To tie this all up, every month or so I consolidate all information into a cloud service (where copies of all the folders exist) before chucking it all into an external hard drive for backup (where even more copies of these folders exist).

I am still far from done, my next steps are to somehow make a workflow that includes posting into social media and updating my website.

How do you manage ?, do you have any tips specific for I.D. Projects.

Thanks
Keno
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

Good idea to share some tips about this!

I assign codes to all projects, invoices, quotations etc. and since about a year I also code all CAD file names and separate file formats.
Then I use Ccleaner to keep my computer clean and occassionally filter duplicate files.
I keep a separate folder for all external files, files to be published on web/print/digital media/television etc. these often contain duplicates.

Then I use cloud services and external HDDs as well.
Make sure to keep at least one extra HDD at another location, for example a safe deposit box.

-Ralph
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Re: How do you organize your computer files ?

Postby cwatkinson » February 21st, 2017, 2:24 pm

cwatkinson

How do you manage ?, do you have any tips specific for I.D. Projects.

I take the Enron approach.

chiragpatel

There are ample numbers of ways we have to organize the files. Some people are creating the different category folders and to make a different files to store that particular folders. So, they can able to get the easily identify or find the folders which they have required at any particular point of the time. This is the one method people are using to organize the files and folders to store the data. There are some others methods which people are using.

Re: How do you organize your computer files ?

Postby Mr-914 » March 29th, 2017, 6:47 am

Mr-914

Anyone use any automation to organize files? PDM?
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Generatewhatsnext
step four
step four

Keno - sounds like you have a good system in place. As a friend of mine in Government I.T. put it, "if you don't have it in three places, you don't really have it at all."

I have all my ongoing/daily project work on my PC, secondary backups go to OneDrive and then the third set is held on a network drive I've set up in our studio.
Scott Snider
Partner, Product Development
Generator, inc.
http://www.generatewhatsnext.com
http://www.twitter.com/generatewhtsnxt
http://www.linkedin.com/company/1023934

Return to general design discussion