I am trying to pack/backup all my digital/physical belongings,( some 15 years of projects ) , the physical stuff is easy, the digital stuff on the other hand I feel I am always threading water, in general, how do you organize your computer files ?
I'll go first, this has been evolving during the years:
I have 3 computers I usually work from 2 pcs one mac, in each one there are a set of main folders on the desktop :
- ID : design
- each project gets a new folder,
- Inside each project there is usually a lot of work files.pictures etc.
- there are also general folders like reference,tools,Legal etc.
- same deal as for I.D, although there are differences (some folders are both work and archive)
- Personal Pictures,and things that mostly revolve around me.
Other interests get their own mayor folders in some computers:
To tie this all up, every month or so I consolidate all information into a cloud service (where copies of all the folders exist) before chucking it all into an external hard drive for backup (where even more copies of these folders exist).
I am still far from done, my next steps are to somehow make a workflow that includes posting into social media and updating my website.
How do you manage ?, do you have any tips specific for I.D. Projects.