Close

Re: Chair recommendations for home studio?

Postby IDiot » February 13th, 2017, 1:12 pm

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization

AndyMc wrote:My experience is that the adjustable arm-rests make a surprising impact, in a good way, on my comfort when sitting at my desk.

Whenever I have one with fixed arm-rests they either get in the way of my elbow using a mouse, get in the way of my elbow when sketching, or they stop my chair from fitting under the desk, which makes me hunch over to reach my keyboard. I just move them around as needed now, depending on what I'm using my desk for.

If you do get one with fixed rests, then it's definitely worth looking to see if you can take them off without the chair falling apart as well, just in case they start to annoy you (lesson learnt! :D ).

Are you talking about adjustable armrests or no armrests at this point?

Postby AndyMc » February 16th, 2017, 10:29 pm

AndyMc
step four
step four

I find chairs with armrests more comfortable, but prefer that they can be adjusted out of the way if needed.
Andy McIntyre
Folio | Instagram | | LinkedIn

Ulises_Ju_rez_Luna

I have a similar chair than this one, and it works awesome. It is a 5 hour chair.
Attachments
Chair.JPG
Chair.JPG (33.9 KiB) Viewed 1508 times

Postby Mehaffey » February 24th, 2017, 10:15 am

Mehaffey

I've been lucky and never had to "shop" for a chair since I've had access to member sales, etc. (I'm a furniture designer with a large manufacturer), but I'd advise getting a chair with adjustments so you can dial in the fit and comfort. Also, find a place where you can go and test in person. I love classic chairs, but some just aren't that comfortable. Get one that's ANSI/BIFMA rated, has a good synchro tilt control (not a swivel tilt or assynch ), 2 or 3 way adjustable arms, seat depth adjustment, and a good warranty.

I've sat in MANY of our and competitors' chairs and for me the most comfortable is HON Nucleus. The seat is extremely comfortable (no seat board so it never will sit hard), ANSI/BIFMA rated, 12 year warranty. Not a classic, but a well designed, clean looking chair (no, I didn't design it :) ) Depot sells these and looks like there's a model that's just over $400 new. Sounds like I'm pitching hard, but I know seating fairly well and it's a great value on a seriously comfortable professional chair.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/499754/HON-Nucleus-Series-Ilira-Stretch-M4/

Allsteel's Acuity chair is super cool, too, and you might be able to find one used for around your budget.

Postby Mehaffey » February 24th, 2017, 10:51 am

Mehaffey

IDiot wrote:If you want something brand new Shortcut is in your price range. I designed it, so it's got that going for it... LOL but seriously we got A LOT of comfort into a plastic shell. Not the perfect chair for all people by any means, but I preferred it over a lot of "higher end" chairs.
http://www.bkmofficeworks.com/products/seating/guest-chairs-stools/shortcut/
The URL is also to BKM Officeworks, they are a Steelcase dealer in your area, you should be able to go in and testdrive, but ordering online is probably your best bet (individual sales is usually not where dealers excel or even want to play).

As long as I'm self promoting, there is this too
http://www.bkmofficeworks.com/products/seating/guest-chairs-stools/buoy/

That Shortcut is cool.

Postby IDiot » March 2nd, 2017, 9:43 am

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization

Mehaffey wrote:
IDiot wrote:If you want something brand new Shortcut is in your price range. I designed it, so it's got that going for it... LOL but seriously we got A LOT of comfort into a plastic shell. Not the perfect chair for all people by any means, but I preferred it over a lot of "higher end" chairs.
http://www.bkmofficeworks.com/products/seating/guest-chairs-stools/shortcut/
The URL is also to BKM Officeworks, they are a Steelcase dealer in your area, you should be able to go in and testdrive, but ordering online is probably your best bet (individual sales is usually not where dealers excel or even want to play).

As long as I'm self promoting, there is this too
http://www.bkmofficeworks.com/products/seating/guest-chairs-stools/buoy/

That Shortcut is cool.

Thanks Mehaffey

Postby KenoLeon » March 16th, 2017, 4:24 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

If by any chance you or any one else is looking for a chair and can pick it up ( in Santa Barbara CA, about an hour north of LA) I am moving so I am selling my HM Mirra ( plus a human scale foot machine ), just PM if interested.

Mirra001.jpg
Mirra001.jpg (116.27 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Previous

Return to general design discussion