Close

Influential Design Books

Postby maehoosadie » January 19th, 2017, 12:27 pm

maehoosadie
step one
step one

Apologies if something along these lines has been posted already...

I was curious what books have influenced your creative or design processes. Two of my professors have stressed the importance of curating a design library and gave several suggestions on getting started. I was able to pick up used copies of most of their recommendations (listed below), and I was hoping to hear what others in the industry enjoy reading on design, or any other topic. I've got a few on minimalism and sustainability I'm hoping to read as well, and I'd love to hear your recommendations and discuss your thoughts!

Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design by William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler

Geometry of Design: Studies in Proportion and Composition by Kimberly Elam

Elements of Design: Rowena Reed Kostellow and the Structure of Visual Relationships by Gail Greet Hannah

A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel Pink

Design for the Real World: Human Ecology and Social Change by Victor Papanek

The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman

Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman

Design Secrets: Products (Design Secrets) by Industrial Designers Society of America

Design Secrets: Products 2: 50 Real-Life Projects Uncovered by Lynn Haller, Cheryl Dangel Cullen, and Industrial Designers Society of America

By Design: Why There Are No Locks on the Bathroom Doors in the Hotel Louis XIV and Other Object Lessons by Ralph Caplan

Cracking The Whip: Essays On Design And Its Side Effects by Ralph Caplan

Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discover and Invention by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Thinkertoys: A handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques by Michael Michalko

Six Thinking Hats by Edward de Bono

The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life by Twyla Tharp

Why Not? How to Use Everyday Ingenuity to Solve Problems Big and Small by Barry Nalebuff & Ian Ayres

The Myths of Innovation by Scott Berkun

The Creative Priority by Jerry Hirshberg

Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation by Steven Johnson

EcoDesign: The Sourcebook by Alastair Fuad-Luke

10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help that Actually Works by Dan Harris

Everything That Remains: A Memoir by The Minimalists by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus

Essential: Essays by The Minimalists by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus

Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus

Re: Influential Design Books

Postby yo » January 19th, 2017, 1:24 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Aircraft, by Le Corbusier, it is a funky short book, presumable about aircraft but really about how he saw technology could reshape culture. It can be read in about 30 minutes.

Postby AVClub » February 9th, 2017, 9:24 am

AVClub
step two
step two

The Best Interface is No Interface. This book was recommended by a friend, and we both work in the furniture industry. Although the book talks a lot about the digital world, its been incredibly inspiring and changed the way I think about interfacing with products.

Postby Brian_Donlin » February 9th, 2017, 10:29 am

Brian_Donlin
step two
step two

Currently reading Designing Design by Kenya Hara which has some interesting perspectives.
I also like:
Super Normal by Naoto Fukasawa & Jasper Morrison
Okala Practitioner by iDSA
The Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton Christiansen

Thanks for putting together that list!

Postby Architorture » February 13th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Architorture
step three
step three

I could also recommend a couple books from IDEO's Tom Kelley:

The Art of Innovation

and

The Ten Faces of Innovation

Postby VanDeBar » February 14th, 2017, 11:29 am

VanDeBar
step three
step three

Only available in french and examples might be a bit outdated but it was definitively a reference in college:

Elements de Design Industriel by Danielle Quarante
https://www.amazon.ca/elements-design-industriel-3e-ed/dp/2717842330

Postby ralphzoontjens » March 27th, 2017, 5:12 am

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

I recommend first establishing your design philosophy from a certain scientific view, then developing a library around it.
My favorite book relating to design is "Invention and Evolution" by M.J. French. It's fairly basic but it's a gem in the way it shows how to think for integrating form and function.

And don't forget the classic "Industrial Design" by John Heskett.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Return to general design discussion