Close

Re: CES 2017

Postby studiomkllc » January 12th, 2017, 11:43 am

studiomkllc
step three
step three

Yeah its really disappointing especially knowing there are so many talented designers out there would would love the opportunity to create something new. There really is no shame in it. I mean no disrespect to Chinese companies but that seemed to be the majority of them. Take a good product and just rip off every detail and sell for less. I think youre right Mr-914 there is always someone who is willing to pay less for a lesser product.

Postby Dan Lewis » January 12th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Dan Lewis
step four
step four

Yeah its really disappointing especially knowing there are so many talented designers out there would would love the opportunity to create something new.

It has nothing to do with design and designers.

Postby Greenman » January 13th, 2017, 11:02 am

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

studiomkllc wrote:Yeah its really disappointing especially knowing there are so many talented designers out there would would love the opportunity to create something new. There really is no shame in it. I mean no disrespect to Chinese companies but that seemed to be the majority of them. Take a good product and just rip off every detail and sell for less. I think youre right Mr-914 there is always someone who is willing to pay less for a lesser product.

A lot of the knock off people are looking to get their products licensed by more well established (or U.S.) brands.

For example: https://www.wired.com/2016/01/hisense-sharp-4k-tvs/

Hisense has struggled to establish their own brand in the U.S. so this makes sense, although their products are of dubious quality and the company is owned by the Chinese government, buyer beware...
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

Postby studiomkllc » January 13th, 2017, 11:40 am

studiomkllc
step three
step three

Yeah made me think of that company LeEco. Cant decide what type of company they want to be. Most of their products were done poorly and seem confused.

Postby NiMaTh » January 17th, 2017, 1:32 pm

NiMaTh
step one
step one

it was nice to see some evolution in the autonomous vehicle realm. overall, nothing at the show really stood out, it was more a rehash from previous years. it has been interesting to see product lines morph and become absorbed into other companies. Take forward lighting for example. Most of the car audio companies have either partnered or created their own brand of white lights. Makes sense though, since their target audience is a group that loves to indulge and blow lots of money on making their cars seen and heard.

Postby yo » January 17th, 2017, 1:57 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I agree, not a lot of ground breaking things this year. Saw more material integration in CE, wood and leather in home theater products, that kind of thing. The major car companies seemed a bit quieter this year while Faraday made a lot of noise with their unveil.... Sting concert was good. :-)

Postby NiMaTh » January 17th, 2017, 2:56 pm

NiMaTh
step one
step one

yo wrote:I agree, not a lot of ground breaking things this year. Saw more material integration in CE, wood and leather in home theater products, that kind of thing. The major car companies seemed a bit quieter this year while Faraday made a lot of noise with their unveil.... Sting concert was good. :-)

faraday definetly had a lot of hype around their booth, i have never seen such a long line just to see the other side of a vehicle. I hope they succeed and drive more innovation. Tesla needs some constructive competition.

I was digging through photos from past CES shows (+5 years) to see what innovations stuck, and which ones floated away. LED technology has come a long way, and so have batteries. Things will continue to become more mobile and portable. AS far as what sticks, i think a lot of it has to to with whatever perks societies interests.

Postby iab » January 17th, 2017, 4:58 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Is there any home healthcare at the show?

I need an excuse to hit Vegas in January.

Postby yo » January 17th, 2017, 5:00 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

It is seeping in at the edges but I'd think there would be a lot more. A lot of home assistant "robots" and "health sensors" in everything from wrist bands to cars, but no straight up real healthcare. That would be some real innovation.

A couple of slides from my team's recap deck:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 1.59.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 1.59.34 PM.png

Postby SophieHortonJones » January 17th, 2017, 9:16 pm

SophieHortonJones
step three
step three

I think I need Kuri to be my friend! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkKSyKyIbA. I've seen a lot of coverage of him, and think it's all about the character!

On the integrated sensors slide, where it says 'expect to see this technology transfer to the smart home', got me thinking about all the really simple ways this could be introduced on top of what's already out there... think I might need to get a pen out!

Were there any unexpected areas that were showing growth from last year?

Postby yo » January 17th, 2017, 10:36 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

not really any expected new area... lots of drones still. A couple of years ago drones and cars exploded onto the show floor and nearly took over the South and North halls respectively. That still holds. A slight uptick in VR, but mainly to demo things. I think VR will push out drones in the next couple of years. Just a prediction.

Postby Mr-914 » January 18th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Mr-914

Who is buying all of these drones?
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby yo » January 18th, 2017, 2:11 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I'm not sure but they must be eating them at all three meals per day... :-)

Postby Mr-914 » January 19th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Mr-914

World Drone Market Seen Nearing $127 Billion in 2020, PwC Says

I think Polk should jump on this Michael! I need one with a kickin' sub-woofer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-09/world-drone-market-seen-nearing-127-billion-in-2020-pwc-says
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby yo » January 19th, 2017, 1:25 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

We could use the sub to make it levitate...

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to general design discussion