Close

No headphone jack on the iPhone 7... really?

Postby bcpid » September 7th, 2016, 9:18 pm

bcpid
step four
step four

The subject line says it all. What an antagonistic move against users.

Re: No headphone jack on the iPhone 7... really?

Postby yo » September 7th, 2016, 10:03 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

We knew this was coming for a long time. I was expecting the 6+ not to have it, but instead they just enabled the lightning connector to transmit an analog audio signal so people could start developing product. Steve Wozniak has had some interesting things to say about it.

Postby bcpid » September 7th, 2016, 11:35 pm

bcpid
step four
step four

The fact that the 1/8in jack goes back to early telephones and is still a very effective (and universal) means of (universally) connecting headphones (that make use of this universal connection) to basically any sound-generating device on the planet (also with this universal connection), and does such a good job that with any decent pair of cans (also making use of universal connectors) the fidelity is about as good as real life, makes any of the circuitous, tortured arguments for moving away from the standard...stupid. If it's about saving space, was anyone REALLY clamoring for that extra half a cubic cm? No, they were not.

I don't care much one way or the other about Apple, but they wield enough influence that this is going to massively fuck up the market for audio products. Look out for numerous competing standards attempting to "solve" a "problem" that doesn't exist and hasn't existed since before our grandparents were born. Some problems actually are solved and this was one of them.

Postby mas » September 8th, 2016, 1:58 am

mas
step one
step one

Sorry didn't see this thread and posted in mine.

I don't see it as antagonistic at all and that they were actually more accommodating than I thought they would be by including an adaptor with all iphones that anyone can use their existing headphones in. Personally I love not having wires on my keyboard and mouse and would prefer not to have them on my earphones.

All in all I am not sure how this is a bad thing for anyone - the phone is now thinner and water resistant, people who want to sell more things will have more to sell (new product), people who want to sell or use old 1/8in jack stuff still can, and people who want to justify buying new stuff can. If I was in their shoes I think it's a great move.

It could have been far worse, they could have put U2's album on everything.

Postby engio » September 8th, 2016, 3:56 am

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

With the lightning->3.5mm adapter readily available I don't really see the problem.

Love the new airpods, can't wait to get my hands on those.

Postby JEriksson » September 8th, 2016, 5:36 am

JEriksson
step one
step one

Wtf Apple.. That lightning adapter will break in no time in your pocket. I believe the 3.5mm is way more robust.
And why get rid of the "big" connector when the camera is still just as large and stick out of the back?

Postby Mr-914 » September 8th, 2016, 7:00 am

Mr-914

I liked Michelle Berryman's twitter reaction. I already lose my ear buds in my pocket or backpack. I would hate to have to search for two without the cord to help me. Another thing is price. I don't mind losing or breaking $20 ear buds every 9 months. If they were $150, I would shoot myself.
Attachments
2016-09-08_7-57-43.jpg
2016-09-08_7-57-43.jpg (134.37 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

LeggoMyEggo

I really don't understand the reasoning behind it either. How thin do we actually need our phones to be? It is also an expensive device to begin with, I wouldn't plan to get it wet and would actively avoid doing so even with the IPX rating. Now you need to carry their adapter if you don't have/want a wireless headset? Lastly, what if I want to charge and listen?

To me, the 3.5 wasn't an issue that needed to be addressed and they are solving problems created by themselves.

Postby engio » September 8th, 2016, 8:50 am

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

I predict that in 5 years..... this is thread is going to be as fun as the iPad-thread.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20710&p=139940

"flash still not supported. (even in Jobs's demo, ouch)"

"you need an ADAPTER FOR A USB CABLE!"

And that's from the first post alone, there's 11 pages of 'em! Good toilet-read.. on my iPad.

AirPods...Discuss

Postby jon_winebrenner » September 8th, 2016, 8:52 am

jon_winebrenner

I can guarantee, my ears - which fundamentally reject earbuds - are going to wait until I am walking by a storm drain and then squirt just one of my wireless earphones out and literally down the drain.

I love the idea of wireless....but we added yet another piece of disposable tech to the pile. I want to love the change...but for this basic reason I can't.

Change my mind?

Generatewhatsnext
step four
step four

Apple keeps putting less Koolaid in the latest cup yet the fanpeeps keep drinking it.

My wife is still pis*ed that she can't USE her Apple mouse while it's charging (how intuitive and useful the mouse would have been if its charging cord connected such and operated like a corded mouse while charging - instead of having to turn the mouse over to connect the cord, resulting in a useless device for hours on end). So now she'll also NOT be able to have a conference call using her earbuds if her phone happens to need a charge.

And what's with the "Hey look at me, I want to be a Surface Pro" iPad Pro commercial - no less than 2 years after announcing that Microsoft was off base with the Surface and had missed the target. http://www.inquisitr.com/3391209/apple-challenges-microsoft-surface-pro-4-with-new-ipad-pro-commercial/

Is it just me or is Apple sh*t is not that well designed these days?
Scott Snider
Partner, Product Development
Generator, inc.
http://www.generatewhatsnext.com
http://www.twitter.com/generatewhtsnxt
http://www.linkedin.com/company/1023934

Re: AirPods...Discuss

Postby jada » September 8th, 2016, 9:24 am

jada
step four
step four

There should at least be the possibility to have a "string" between the two. Similar to may bluetooth airbuds today. I don't need the airbuds to be separate from each other, I just don't want the wire between my phone and the headset.

What I want is something like this that also can be recharged quickly through the phones Lightning port:
What exactly is the ‘look of buttermilk’ and why should I want it?

Postby bcpid » September 8th, 2016, 11:08 am

bcpid
step four
step four

I really don't understand the reasoning behind it either. How thin do we actually need our phones to be? It is also an expensive device to begin with, I wouldn't plan to get it wet and would actively avoid doing so even with the IPX rating. Now you need to carry their adapter if you don't have/want a wireless headset? Lastly, what if I want to charge and listen?

To me, the 3.5 wasn't an issue that needed to be addressed and they are solving problems created by themselves.

That is dead on. I hadn't thought about charging AND listening at the same time, but that is a real issue. I guess they'll have a new, easily lost or broken adapter for that one!

While a closed ecosystem benefits Apple, what measurable benefits does this provide to end users? And by benefits, I mean bona fide net positives that aren't erased or made worse by a new issue, i.e. "now the cord doesn't get tangled, but I lost the left earbud."

Postby slippyfish » September 8th, 2016, 12:39 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

jon_winebrenner wrote:I can guarantee, my ears - which fundamentally reject earbuds - are going to wait until I am walking by a storm drain and then squirt just one of my wireless earphones out and literally down the drain.

I love the idea of wireless....but we added yet another piece of disposable tech to the pile. I want to love the change...but for this basic reason I can't.

Change my mind?

Wished they would have made some provision for S/M/L silicone boots that can sort of customize the ear bud to the user. My history with these smooth bits of ear bud plastic has not been good either. Yes, why not a wire between the two? So you can share your music with the next person, letting them borrow the left side earbud?
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby Cyberdemon » September 8th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

You've just highlighted a slew of product design opportunities.

Buy a bunch of those old-man sunglass holder strings and repackage them as Air Bud tethers.

Go to the Next Page

Return to general design discussion