CAD modelling question

Hello to all!

I need some CAD design advice. I am doing a project in which I need to design a pattern around a concave surface. (See attached images)
I am mostly using Alias and SolidWorks for modelling.
Can anyone help me in how I can solve this modelling issue with any of the previously named softwares?

Thank you!!

Cheers!

Fran
akzentpaneel-akd-5005-curve-b.jpg

Looking at that image makes me dizzy.

It appears to me you have two patterns, one along a curve and the other in an XY direction.

I also see it as a pattern that’s slightly angled and then cropped into a square shape.

Does it need to be in the 3d model? You could create a map in Photoshop/Illustrator and use it as a bump map or displacement map in a rendering software, it could be easier than modeling the texture directly in Solidworks.

Thank you guys!. Unfortunately needs to be a CAD model, because it is the front grill of an air filter device… Previously I did a Photoshop over a render.
I am looking into Rhinoceros + Grasshopper. If it does not work, I will have to simplify the pattern.

[ Deleted ]

Thank you Keno!, I am trying something similar with Alias!

Francisco, I am an expert modeler in this.

• The displacement map idea is interesting in general - there is a program called ZSurf which converts 2D bitmaps to 3D IGES surfaces and does not do a bad job up to a certain amount of detail. For this pattern I would opt for manual 3D modeling though.

• The first step for any pattern design job is reflect back to the client, usually with a sketch, 1. How is the pattern going to be mapped on the target surface/solid and 2. What is the geometrical build-up of the intended pattern, since it can be interpreted in different ways - with this surface - are they cylindrical strands like a woven basket around the concavity, or are all surfaces concave like ripples in the water - it’s like the inverted mask illusion - do you see what I mean? Also take manufacturability into account.

• If it’s threads, it can easily be done with Rhino+GH - you can create the base curves, divide curves, displace every even-numbered vertex one way and every odd-numbered vertex the other, combine the displaced points, interpolate curve and then a pipe curve.

• You can also do this in Solidworks, you can project curves onto your surface and then run a sweep with circular profile. If it’s all concave surfaces, it will need to be done manually through lofts - see if you can make it radially symmetric to save time. Make a modeling plan before you start, and prevent things from having to be trimmed off later.

Hello Guys,

At the end, the pattern idea changed just a bit from the original concept…
I did it totally in Alias. I used the Tubular Offset tool, and after that a lot of trims to achieve the basic idea.

Thank you for the help!

sweet, glad you got it figured out.